Buy used Apex classic or new Apex El?

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am looking to get an Apex system for my reef tank, it will mainly be used for monitoring and using a breakout box with float switches for skimmer, ATO etc. My lights (Chinesium) , return pump (Blau) and circulation pumps (Nero 5) have standalone controllers and are not compatible with Apex. I have ethernet to the tank stand.

I have found a Used Classic system with the below components for 330euro :
Base controller
Energy bar 6
Apex Display
Temp probe
Ph probe
VORTECH/RADION WIRELESS EXPANSION MODULE
Jebao-Apex Controller Adapter

A new Apex El is 560euro. Keep in mind these are EU versions so we don't have the same functionality as with the US versions. Do you think the Classic is worth buying still or should I go for the newer Apex El?

Thanks in advance!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you are sure you will never add a Trident to your system go for the used system.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @robbyg . My classic apex works just fine, and as long as I don't add a trident to the mix, the classic will continue to work just fine. Only thing to keep in mind is the classic does not have WIFI, so you need an ethernet cord to be able to go to where you mount the unit.

I would almost be willing to say the classic is much more stable then the "new" apex. Every thread about issues seems to be the "new" apex, and the classic just keeps chugging along.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see no reef expansion on the horizon, go with the Classic. I'm still running a Lite with 20+ modules, but some day I'd like to upgrade to the 832s and the advanced capabilities they offer...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see no reef expansion on the horizon, go with the Classic. I'm still running a Lite with 20+ modules, but some day I'd like to upgrade to the 832s and the advanced capabilities they offer...
Yeah but other then the trident, thats all you gain by buying a "new" apex. The ability to monitor how much power each outlet is using.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The classic will work for you. If you are on a tight budget, then it makes sense. If you can afford the new Apex, go with it. It will give you more flexibility down the line. Who knows what else they will design for it. I replaced my classic last year with the new (primarily for Trident) and I like it a lot. Never any problems in the year I've had it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back