!!!BUY WHEN YOU BUY, WHEN YOU BUY YOU'RE GONNA BUY!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! well you know me, punching out customers left and right, not to mention.......... er........family friendly forum.......family friendly forum..........family friendly forum

Lol, you gonna work in some A.C. lyrics next? I hope your love of punk music doesn't scare away any customers!

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, you gonna work in some A.C. lyrics next? I hope your love of punk music doesn't scare away any customers!
LOL
When I first read the thread title, it reminded me of the opening of a Grand Funk Railroad song. I'm a lot older than all you though.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I've learned over the years is something is as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.
As far as a shopper, I'd like to think I cover the gamut, but in reality, I'm more of a click-and-get. The only time I haggle is the major purchases, which I hate to make, because I hate to haggle.
I tend to wait till the Holiday sales to either replenish dry goods, or make a new purchase. I HATE to pay for shipping, especially when companies use it as a way to lower the price on their merchandise. (A PVC fitting for 3 bucks, and $12.00 for shipping:eek:) I almost always buy whatever the minimum amount is needed to qualify for free shipping, if it's available.
As far as this hobby, I have never haggled over the price of livestock or dry goods, whether with a vendor, or a private seller. The way I see it, the seller's offer is, or should be what they want for it. Their bottom line, per se. I decide whether I'm willing to pay what they are asking or not. If I'm comfortable with the price, great. If not, I pass. I don't try to negotiate. Now, if the seller offers to reduce the price for whatever reason, it's not like I'm going to decline the offer. But it will never be initiated by me. I respect whatever a seller chooses to ask for an item, whether I think it's fair or not.
I guess it's about how I would want to be treated as a seller. If I were to list something for sale, I'd get irked pretty quick with the hagglers/low-ballers. (Which is probably the reason I have a store's worth of used equipment in my basement)

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a seller of freshwater fish on-line I know the value of repeat customers. These shoppers always end up getting my best service and quality livestock. So when buying from others I try to establish loyalty and consistency in my purchases, and show appreciation when it is due. The smaller livestock outfits remember me and end up doing as I do -- sending their better quality frags. I prefer buying livestock not from the top outfits but from the #2 guys, they try harder to please.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I value a connection and building a relationship. We have talked in the past, love your involvement, also love that you are in WI. So I will eventually place a large order and when I do I won’t haggle price. I will tell you my wants and likes and let you have a say in what I will get. In exchange maybe you can offer a little advice here and there. That’s what I dig, developing mutual relationships where both parties win.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until there are more high volume dry goods vendors to compete with BRS and the very few other similar retailers, there will be no logical comparison with this as there are hundreds of home grown coral vendors out there. Competition is prevalent in the coral market, even in aquaculture... way beyond that of dry goods. It's 100:1.... at best.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets try this again :)

I hate coral vendors :)

I won't haggle on price with you ,,, If you have a coral listed on your site for $180 a frag ,, but you know you will take $60 for that frag ,,, you will never get the chance to haggle with me on the price that frag ,, I have already moved on past your site to another one :) List the coral for what you are willing to take for it ,,, it would have been sold months ago :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate haggling. Maybe I'm just bad at it. Every time I talk to another hobbyist about buy corals or gear, if the price is too high and I simply state its more than I was wanting to spend and that if they cant come down some then I'll have to back out, 10 times out of 10 they tell me "ok well let me know if you change your mind" and thats that.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit it, I am a bargain shopper. I don't generally haggle, I just usually wait until I find a good deal on something or what I perceive to be a good deal. Maybe live sales, holiday sales, sales at the lfs, auctions, hobbyist, etc. When buying livestock online I do try to buy enough quantity to mitigate the high shipping cost.

But one thing I will pay more for is that guarantee on livestock. When I see an ad that goes into length about how the vendor or hobbyist will not cover this, that and the other thing I lose all trust in that seller. It has to be an outstanding deal for me to take a chance in that case.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually take the approach with vendors that I ask them how much something is individually and then if I purchase the entire pack. I ha e a number that I won't go over. If the vendor is firm with price it's no big deal. I either buy or don't. Never hurts to ask.

stoneroller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bie with your doots on! I haven't thought about haggling with online coral vendors but now I will try with my boots on.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the vendor. Some vendors are busy and won't be bothered to answer questions. Some vendors have a history of being testy, to put it nicely.. Some vendors have a spotty history and reputation... And some vendors so vehemently lie about what they have, and what it truly is (some wild piece they named after a piece they no longer have for example) that it's not worth even trying to talk with them.

So I guess the answer is "it's complicated". But everyone I point your way is very happy to talk with you Adam.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It depends on the vendor. Some vendors are busy and won't be bothered to answer questions. Some vendors have a history of being testy, to put it nicely.. Some vendors have a spotty history and reputation... And some vendors so vehemently lie about what they have, and what it truly is (some wild piece they named after a piece they no longer have for example) that it's not worth even trying to talk with them.

So I guess the answer is "it's complicated". But everyone I point your way is very happy to talk with you Adam.

Man It sounds like you had a few less than stellar experiences. Sorry to hear it. There are some shady vendors out there, that is for sure.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically do not bargain a lot, especially with Online Vendors.

However I got trust back recently from BRS @Ryanbrs into online Vendors after I started a Chat with one of their guys about a Spare part for my skimmer that wasn't available at all on their website.
Then the guy on the other side mentioned he will check and I thought I will never hear back as usual until I got an email that a package is on my way ;-)
Asking details via email it turned out that they simply took action and searched in their warehouse and found one spare impeller assembly that fits my skimmer and did ship it to me free of charge and notified me that they are working on to get it into their selection but it may take a while!!! I know I spent quite some money over the last years with BRS and they seem truly to consider those type of things when handling loyal customer inquiries.
I can tell this spare part was quite expensive for sure, knowing now what the manufacturer is asking for it out of Singapore.

-Andre

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to customers, I think I can safely say that I’ve dealt with just about every variety out there: from people deeply involved in the entire process - to the practically anonymous three click buyer. More often placing orders through sites with no active discourse with the vendor at all, other than to answer obligatory questions like ship dates or address confirmation. Stuff like that. Generally speaking, I think most online sales, not just including hobby related, are done this way. Using myself as an example, when I buy misc stuff for my camera, from small parts to expensive lenses, I just visit my preferred site, find what I want, then click and buy. I’ll do some research on big ticket items, but I don’t think it ever even crossed my mind to contact a big store like that directly to see if they can do any better for me, or haggle just a little even.

Top10BuyingHAFAQ_300x300_zpsvzzxjbxu.jpg

But this hobby is different, and it’s definitely unique when it comes to hobbyist sellers, because you are essentially forced to interact, through forums or email, in some way or another, and bargaining certainly ensues. If you want to buy something from a hobbyist, you have no choice. You have to talk to them at least once or twice. I think that this type of forced interaction may have been what has lead so many people to be more active and involved with their other purchases, rather than simply placing an order like you would on amazon, for example, or like me with my camera parts. Purchasing what you want, with a couple clicks of the mouse, and expecting it to show up a few days later. At no point do you have any actual communication with the seller. It’s pretty automatic really, and as I said before I am definitely more of the anonymous buyer myself. Maybe some part of me isn’t much of a haggler, or perhaps I’m just shy, or lazy - LOL - but I do most of my purchasing that way, paying the asking price and going on my way.

Now being a vendor, I know that working with buyers has it’s advantages and disadvantages. With straight online site order placers, the process it pretty streamlined. Order placed, order fulfilled, then shipped and that’s pretty much it. A few emails with details on shipping and such, and perhaps pack details, depending on what was ordered. Certainly easier on my end to manage and process, and not very time consuming.

Where as, the interactive buyer is far more engaged in the process from the start. They will often begin a preliminary order with an email or two, and a couple questions. Sometimes a phone call and a text or two as well, maybe followed by and order at some point. And sometimes not at all. It’s more of a marathon of a process, that has taken from a few days, to up to many months in some cases. During this process I definitely get more in tune with the buyer, and will have have established some amount of rapport by the time the order is finally placed. I’d like to think that the relationship will usually translate to an overall more satisfying end result for the buyer, whether it’s a blind box order, or a custom pack. But by the same token, I will admit that my anonymous customers often get the royal treatment, perhaps as some kind of unspoken gratuity for simply paying the asking price, and ultimately making process so much easier for me. LOL. However, one thing I have noticed a lot, is that people who place straight site orders the first time, may reach out on their second order, and we will work together on a specialized pack. After that, all of their future orders are done directly with me. So I think once the ice is broken so to speak, I’m sure its easier to engage with a vendor as well. At the end of the day, on my end accept for maybe the occasional ultra low baller, I really apprieciate every single type of buyer out there more than ever. I you want to get in touch and go over as many detail as you can come up with before you order please don't hesitate to contact me and get the gears turning. Always happy and willing to work with customers any way I can at any time. Even if it means late night texting sessions while I am literally lying in bed, about to call it a night. No sweat there at all.

1_zpssnl462yf.jpg

So really I’m just curious to hear what you guys think. Do you like to get in touch with the vendor and bargain a little, and see what kind of deals you can work out? How about dry goods? I’ll admit I have never even tried, but are dry good vendors willing break prices down for the astute buyer? If I called up @BRS and asked for 3 DI cartridges, a few alk test kits and some T5 bulbs, could they work with me a little on that, give me a "pack price"? Would they work with me on that, or is this engaged buying process reserved only for stuff with less "absolute" pricing...

Or, are you more like me and like to do things a little less personal and just go ahead and place an order.

What the heck kind of a buyer are you?
I will usually pay the asking price if it seems reasonable. I do like to get involved and let the vendor know what I’m looking for. I’d much rather talk to or mssg vendor over click and buy.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much never Click & Buy ,,, I usely buy several corals when I buy ,, I copy & paste the corals I want to an E-mail and then ask the vendor what is their best price for these corals ,, then have then send me a Pay Pal invoice,,, I have never had a vendor not give me a better price then what they are listed for on their site ,,, I don't waste their time though,, if I am asking,, I am buying,, they give me that better price,, I am ordering,, I may tweek the buy list if I can't afford the cost of all of them at the time,,, but that is usely only tweeked one coral,, don't waste their time ,,,,

That being said,, there are some vendors I pretty much never buy from,, mostly because they just ,, IMO ,, ask way to much for their corals ,,, would they give me a better price ,, I don't know,, WWC is one of them ,, I do like looking at their pictures though ,, I do buy from Cherry corals,, not often ,, I have never asked them for a cheaper price ,, what I like about them ,, I can order that special coral I want ,, and choose from some of the cheaper ,, but nice corals ,, they have on their site to fill up my box ,, I never asked them for a better price ,, I am into mostly LPS corals ,, I buy a lot from ASD ,, have never asked them for a better price ,, IMO ,, they pretty much have their corals priced pretty reasonable ,,,

I don't do Live Sales ,, I just don't have time to spend hours on the putor trying to save a few $$$ on some corals I want ,, you want to sell corals to me,, post that Live Sale price you are willing to sell that coral for up on your site all year long ,,,

I don't do auctions either,, just as I don't have time to spend on a putor for Live Sales ,, I don't have time to bid on a coral and then come back days or a week later to see if I won ,,, then race around trying to figure out other corals from their site to fill up my box ,,,

I guess thats good for the people that have part time jobs :)

Last edited:

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really feel comfortable haggling lol. I do really appreciate how easy it is to communicate with you Adam! And it's so fun to PM you with "I got x amount of money can you build a box for me" I've never blindly trusted a vendor before but you go above and beyond to make sure the customer will be happy!

Not to mention you don't have any corals I wouldn't want lol!

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My online purchase strategy for coral purchases typically start with me finding a particular coral that I'm interested in.... I'll Google search the coral and look at every vendors offer that I can find. This helps me determine a realistic current market price for a particular coral, and then I immediately discount the high range vendors without contacting them (this is relevant to your topic because if you're listing $399 for a coral that sells average $200 then I'm not even going to visit your site a second time for any purchase).

Then I typically mark off the vendors with sketchy, poorly designed websites with little info on the corals or stock photos, etc.... Your online presentation and presence is important to me as a buyer, it's the only face I see.

Then I might reach out and ask a question or two about the particular coral, more as a test to see how quickly, and if I even receive a response. You'd be surprised how often I don't even get a reply. I won't buy from a vendor who doesn't take the time to respond to customers. It's like walking into a store and being ignored.

Buying and selling online has opened up so many doors for our hobby, but it also comes with its own challenges from both sides. If you run your business professionally and with a noticeable sense of pride then you'll earn my business.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to buying corals from you Adam the fun for me is in the surprise. I know and trust you after buying several battleboxes in the past. I am a coral collector and view battlecorals as little works of art. I know that whatever you put in the box I am going to love. It's like the fun when I was a kid of opening up packs of panini hockey stickers or topps hockey cards. I always hoped to get that lemieux or gretzky but was never disappointed as the thrill was in the chase. Battleboxes for me are the same type of excitement as an adult. I will never have the entire BC collection but I love going down your website and picking out the ones that I own. I would never think of haggling on the price as I know you take care of me regardless and I don't need to

Same goes for other coral and fish vendors really (although I don't shop at many others - ORA and LA Divers Den are the only ones I use really). In those cases I already know what I want and pay the price listed. I wouldn't even consider haggling with them either (wouldn't even know that you could really). I know this hobby is not inexpensive. And the amount of work that goes with raising fish and corals must be limitless. So, I don't mind spending full price.

So I guess that makes me the amazon type shopper.

This is exactly how I feel when ordering from Adam. I just received my third order and for me the excitement is in not knowing what might be in the box. My new 180 is quickly turning into a Battletank..lol.. I think I only have 2-3 sps that didn't come from Adam.

I don't usually haggle on price for corals from online vendors, but will at my LFS if I see a piece I really want that is marked high. I feel that quality and customer service is more important to me. Adam, your prices are more then fair and you are very generous with your Battleboxes!! I am a customer for life :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back