Buyers Remorse Longspine Urchin

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've about had enough of my long spine. No matter where it is, it's in my way. If I wanna adjust the powerhead, it's curled up next to it like a porcupine. If I put my hand it the tank, it actively moves toward me like it wants to be petted. And then it knocks over frags. However, I do enjoy watching it and think it looks pretty cool. Anyone else ever felt this sort of buyers remorse about a longspine or anything else?

IMG_7238.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience with a fuzzy dwarf. Haha It's always the least cuddly things that want to be cuddled most.

I used to feed my dwarf fuzzy by hand and it would perch on my finger between mouth fulls, it always came over to see what I was doing when I had my hand in the tank. )

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a rock boring short spine urchin. Gives you the same look with out all the problems

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thought they were really cool animals that I’ve never kept because of their habits. He’s going to be a fun one to remove to take back and trade in.

The urchins we used to keep in the shop could bulldoze the live rock around when they felt like it.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people need to realize just how big these animals get. If you aren’t prepared to care for an animal that can get to be the size of a basketball (with spines), you need to reconsider getting one. They grow big and fast. Those cute little long spine urchins at the LFS don’t stay that way long. Mine is banished to my 75, which he has all to himself. Well the long spine shares the tank with about 10 gallons of chaeto and some live rock.

Back