Buying a used DSLR, what lenses are useful? Software?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to buy a DSLR (due to feedback from my previous thread). After researching, I am leaning toward a Canon 70D (or T5i if the price is right) but the 70D seems to be "better" if I don't have anything yet. I don't need a 5D mark III. I understand the 70D is more user friendly, and that is what I am looking for. I am not looking for another full time job!!

There are lots of options on Letgo, FB marketplace, etc. I also know that the lens is more important than the camera, so what should I be looking for as all of these are packages. I guess everyone says get the 50mm (nifty fifty) for general use. Some have a 70-200mm (telephoto?), 18-35mm, etc. Macro lens or extension tube? I am planning on taking reef pictures, as well as picture of around the house (dogs, cats, flowers).

Do I need filters for the blue light or do you use the camera itself to adjust the white balance?

Finally, do you need to process the photos afterwards? Do you need to photoshop (again, not looking for another job, lol).

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightroom and a decent macro lens are essentials in my book. You could go with Photoshop Elements and get most of the functionality and some other tools too. Take a look at the Tamron 90mm lenses. I have one for my Nikon and really like it.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightroom and a decent macro lens are essentials in my book. You could go with Photoshop Elements and get most of the functionality and some other tools too. Take a look at the Tamron 90mm lenses. I have one for my Nikon and really like it.
I read that you can get the same results of a macro lens by using extension tubes. Is that accurate?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that you can get the same results of a macro lens by using extension tubes. Is that accurate?
Not really. I tried them too. You can focus closer, but that’s about where it stops. The camera can’t detect the lens so you wont have any meta data and everything will be full manual.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Canon 18-55, 55-250, and Sigma 100 macro and 150-500. None of them are great lenses but they are all good lenses. I use a 7D body.
Get a good tripod and a remote release.

I like Adobe Lightroom but use the free software that came with the camera a lot too.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro lenses are expensive, lol.

As far as the remote release, if it is wifi, will that function be built in to an app?

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as the remote release, if it is wifi, will that function be built in to an app?

if you can control using smartphone app, then that will work as remote. Or just use the timer function.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For shooting the aquarium, 90-110mm macro with a low f-stop really makes it easy to get nice shots and Lightroom is very handy during post processing. I still havent purchased the macro but there are decent options in the $350 range (e.g. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc.).

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

It’s not exactly the same, you have a shorter maximum focus distance and the edges are softer, but it’s a cheap way to start getting macro shots.

Regarding extension tubes, if you get ones with metal contacts in them for the auto focus, you’ll retain the ability to autofocus.

Here’s some shots I took with a rebel t5 with $20 extension tubes and the kit lens:

c34c5019f6f693ec853052186ddc1589.jpg

d6bd38066286f58d51fa097c32c51818.jpg

b9415abe28b3974102a67a173362e5b5.jpg

Eventually, I plan on getting a 100mm canon macro lens and a top of the line DSLR, but I’m happy to gain experience with what I can afford now.

As far as software goes—Lightroom is my favorite. It’s easy, and it’s what the pros use.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or grey market on eBay. You can buy an international lens (aka no US warranty but in another country) for really cheap. That’s where I got mine. It is a Canadian lens but I’m in Canada all the time so it isn’t a big deal to get it serviced there if needed.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or grey market on eBay. You can buy an international lens (aka no US warranty but in another country) for really cheap. That’s where I got mine. It is a Canadian lens but I’m in Canada all the time so it isn’t a big deal to get it serviced there if needed.
Good tip.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 70D a good platform? It looks like all the mid line cameras share the lens technology

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically the 5D is more user-friendly but they are all relatively the same. I would pick the 70D over the Rebel for the speed.
Check out DPreview and LensRental for reviews. The Canon 100mm macro would be the obvious choice for the aquarium. You can not use Canon ES-F lenses on the full frame Canon cameras. A couple of lenses to cover the 18/24-70 and 70-300 will cover most needs.
Shoot raw and use Lightroom. You can cheap out and use other tools such as the provided Canon tool. I resisted Adobes subscription model for a few years but Lightroom is a necessary tool in my flow.
Don't need filters if using Lightroom and shooting raw.
I own a Canon and many "L" lenses. If you have no investment in glass why Canon? There is probably a glut of 5Ds on the market due to so many switching to the Sony A7R series; which can use Canon glass via an adapter. The Nikon 70D equivalent is probably better. I have some 70D images on my HD and they look excellent, the Nikon will only have an advantage with the dynamic range you will not notice in bright photos. Do more research on the photo sites.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nikon 70D equivalent is probably better.
Which would be what model?

If you have no investment in glass why Canon? There is probably a glut of 5Ds on the market due to so many switching to the Sony A7R series; which can use Canon glass via an adapter.
No other reason than I think they make a good product. My last 3 printers have been Canon, my last 2 point and shoot have been Canon, and I liked all of them. I'm not opposed to Nikon, but my research tells me that Canon just seems better. Do you disagree?

It also seems like the Canon community is larger so there is more support. Also it seems like there is a large Canon aftermarket.

I haven't bought anything yet, and like I said I am not opposed to another brand.

The 5Ds (depending on OG, Mark II, or Mark III) range from $850 to $200. I can get a T5i for mid $200s with lenses and there are a couple 70Ds around $300. I'm just taking pictures for fun, and I don't think I will ever be at the level that I can tell the difference between a Pro camera and a "Prosumer" camera.

Last edited:

Nan3182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to buy a DSLR (due to feedback from my previous thread). After researching, I am leaning toward a Canon 70D (or T5i if the price is right) but the 70D seems to be "better" if I don't have anything yet. I don't need a 5D mark III. I understand the 70D is more user friendly, and that is what I am looking for. I am not looking for another full time job!!

There are lots of options on Letgo, FB marketplace, etc. I also know that the lens is more important than the camera, so what should I be looking for as all of these are packages. I guess everyone says get the 50mm (nifty fifty) for general use. Some have a 70-200mm (telephoto?), 18-35mm, etc. Macro lens or extension tube? I am planning on taking reef pictures, as well as picture of around the house (dogs, cats, flowers).

Do I need filters for the blue light or do you use the camera itself to adjust the white balance?

Finally, do you need to process the photos afterwards? Do you need to photoshop (again, not looking for another job, lol).

You are 100% correct about the glass being more important than the camera. Personally I would save the money and buy the body only and use the extra money towards your choice in lens. It is great to have a broad optical range, however when starting it just isn't financially feasible to get it all. IMhO I would say for you to start with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (non IS) B&H have a couple of used ones that you can save some money on. This was the first lens I purchased after buying my first DSLR and it is a great lens for everything you mentioned dogs, cats and flowers. You will find eventually that with the cropped body 100mm indoors will be a bit tight but by that time you'll have the funds and knowledge to make your next investment.

I wouldn't recommend any filters, use the setting in camera and then tweak in post processing. Lightroom is a wonderful program, powerful, easy to learn and use.

Also there is nothing wrong with trying out a camera or lenses before purchasing. I have used lensrentals.com on a number of occasions and for vacations. They even have a branch that deals in sales of used equipment lensauthority.com.

As mentioned before not the same, @marinesnow is 100% correct. I have an old set of Kenko's that have the contacts but information between the camera and lens still doesn't work, so it takes some fiddling to get the results I want. I don't find the results to merit the extra hassle so it is not anything I would say to spend money on.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMhO I would say for you to start with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (non IS) B&H have a couple of used ones that you can save some money on. This was the first lens I purchased after buying my first DSLR and it is a great lens for everything you mentioned dogs, cats and flowers. You will find eventually that with the cropped body 100mm indoors will be a bit tight but by that time you'll have the funds and knowledge to make your next investment.

Wait, I can take regular pictures with a macro lens? I thought macro was for really close up, not for regular pictures across the room.

Please explain "a bit tight." What do you mean by that?

There is so much to this (I already knew that, lol). Just like reef, R/C helicopters, etc.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check eBay for a lens. That's where I got my brand new tamron 90mm macro for around 225 I believe. Only downfall is that it's a Canadian model, so any warranty work I will have to send it to Canada. Which imo isn't a big deal with the savings I got on the price of the lens.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I can take regular pictures with a macro lens? I thought macro was for really close up, not for regular pictures across the room.

Please explain "a bit tight." What do you mean by that?

There is so much to this (I already knew that, lol). Just like reef, R/C helicopters, etc.

I think he was referring to telephoto as a macro will be terrible for this type of use unless you're in their face. As for IS, it is Image Stabilization.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back