Buying a used DSLR, what lenses are useful? Software?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent used any of the better quality full frames but have had a Pentax Kr and now a Nikon D3400; I much prefer the Pentax Kr, I wanted a newer body but it was a downgrade. I'll probably switch back to Pentax. It was capable of taking a considerably better image requiring less post processing. The higher end Nikons have a larger color temp range which would help offset the difference.

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think cheap used dslr can be found for quite low. macro coral pictures can be done several ways-

a dedicated macro lens with a long focal length such as 100mm is the best but expensive. having a long focal length allows you to be further away from your coral and have it still take up a large portion of your image, so you can take pictures of corals in your tank and maybe not have to move them up front. I think this ability for macro lenses is really underrated. You can see gorgeous macro pictures of flower stems and pick out polen, but you have to realize they are so close to that subject with their lens, something that is difficult to do in the aquarium without taking the coral out of the water. There are shorter focal lengths, but they require you to get closer to your subject, so either moving the coral up front for pictures or taking them out and put in a bowl.

A cheap alternative to a dedicated macro lens is to buy a macro extension tube. This is a tube that you place between your camera lens and the DSLR body. This allows you to shorten the minimum focal distance of your lens, allowing you to get amazingly close. Again, sometimes you do not want to be close to the object. A disadvantage for macro tubes are that they decrease the amount of light that gets to your sensor. So if you used this extension tube and a zoom lens that cannot open up then the pictures will not come out well. This one is just some random one i found on amazon when i googled it. I dont' own it or use it but you can find plenty of chinese cheap knock offs that do this.

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-Extension-Extreme-Close-Ups/dp/B003Y60DZO

I highly recommend a tripod.

Non-coral pictures can be done with any lens, macro or not.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll read up a bit more, but the couple of weeks of research I have have shown that the comparable Nikons and Sonys are more expensive. Are they much better?
The detail you can pull out of the shadows is incredible; at least the A7Rii. I have not had the opportunity to pixel peep images from the A7Riii. I have handled the aA7Riii and it works very well.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cheap used dslr can be found for quite low. macro coral pictures can be done several ways-

a dedicated macro lens with a long focal length such as 100mm is the best but expensive. having a long focal length allows you to be further away from your coral and have it still take up a large portion of your image, so you can take pictures of corals in your tank and maybe not have to move them up front. I think this ability for macro lenses is really underrated. You can see gorgeous macro pictures of flower stems and pick out polen, but you have to realize they are so close to that subject with their lens, something that is difficult to do in the aquarium without taking the coral out of the water. There are shorter focal lengths, but they require you to get closer to your subject, so either moving the coral up front for pictures or taking them out and put in a bowl.

A cheap alternative to a dedicated macro lens is to buy a macro extension tube. This is a tube that you place between your camera lens and the DSLR body. This allows you to shorten the minimum focal distance of your lens, allowing you to get amazingly close. Again, sometimes you do not want to be close to the object. A disadvantage for macro tubes are that they decrease the amount of light that gets to your sensor. So if you used this extension tube and a zoom lens that cannot open up then the pictures will not come out well. This one is just some random one i found on amazon when i googled it. I dont' own it or use it but you can find plenty of chinese cheap knock offs that do this.

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-Extension-Extreme-Close-Ups/dp/B003Y60DZO

I highly recommend a tripod.

Non-coral pictures can be done with any lens, macro or not.
Can you put an extension tube on a macro lens?

I've seen my LFS taking pics of the corals with an underwater lens. He puts it right in the water, but I'm sure that monster is spendy.

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, and once again decrease minimum focal distance, probably where you might be touching the subject. The pictures are definitely not as good, but this is such a cheap and fun option, and can be used with any lens.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The detail you can pull out of the shadows is incredible; at least the A7Rii. I have not had the opportunity to pixel peep images from the A7Riii. I have handled the aA7Riii and it works very well.
The A7RIII is only $3,000? Sign me up. I'm sure that is a great camera, but WAY out if what I want to spend.

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was done with a macro tube using a 50mm prime lens I think, probably more than 10 years ago, and with a camera most people now would look at the specs and scoff at.

IMGP4185.jpg

if you do not own a dslr for your first lens, I would NOT get a macro lens, unless all you plan on doing is doing macro shots. This is a specialized lens. I would get a general all purpose zoom lens. Then start getting primes, or macro or telephoto or fisheye or whatever else you want. I won't lie, I do not own a macro lens yet, but I haven't taken many pictures lately. My next lens would probably be 100mm macro tho.

don't spend much money on the dslr body. the value deprecates so fast like most electronics. Invest in your lenses.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at this point I have a good prospect. I have an agreement for a Canon 70D (like new with cables, software, batteries, etc) for $300. No lens.

She wants another $100 for the lens, Canon 18-135 str. It seems like a good lens based on reviews. I'd still look for a macro lens, but it seems like a good basic lens.

I think I should go for the body, but how about the lens? Is it worth the $100 (maybe $75 if I play my cards right)?

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not exactly the same, you have a shorter maximum focus distance and the edges are softer, but it’s a cheap way to start getting macro shots.

Regarding extension tubes, if you get ones with metal contacts in them for the auto focus, you’ll retain the ability to autofocus.

Here’s some shots I took with a rebel t5 with $20 extension tubes and the kit lens:

c34c5019f6f693ec853052186ddc1589.jpg

d6bd38066286f58d51fa097c32c51818.jpg

b9415abe28b3974102a67a173362e5b5.jpg

Eventually, I plan on getting a 100mm canon macro lens and a top of the line DSLR, but I’m happy to gain experience with what I can afford now.

As far as software goes—Lightroom is my favorite. It’s easy, and it’s what the pros use.

Good luck.
What kit do you have? I'm using a SL2 and want to mess around. I plan to buy the 90mm macro but for now Id like to mess around with the $20.

John Ostler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11C5BBC0-412D-4C3E-A6ED-CD4EC9C91ECB.jpeg
I chose the 70d for its video capabilities. If you’re not always shooting macro having a camera that can focus quickly as you pan around the tank is pretty key. I use a 50mm fixed and 35mm. Nothing too fancy.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Nikon if you’re serious about macro. Depending on what your goals are you could start with a cheap prime lens reversed on your camera body. With this method, you can achieve much better results then the soft focus extension tubes often produce. From there, you could go to a dedicated macro lens. Go macro prime not zoom with “macro” abilities as this is simply the same result of extension tubes, close focusing. If you wanna go balls to the wall you could look into microscope optics on dslr bodies but trust me when I say this is not for a novice. Good luck and I’d be happy to answer more questions if you have any.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11C5BBC0-412D-4C3E-A6ED-CD4EC9C91ECB.jpeg
I chose the 70d for its video capabilities. If you’re not always shooting macro having a camera that can focus quickly as you pan around the tank is pretty key. I use a 50mm fixed and 35mm. Nothing too fancy.
That's why I like the 70D over the T5i. It has more focal points and faster auto focus.

I think it is a good camera , better than the T5, but it's not the price if a 5D MK3

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd man out I use a Sony lol.

Most of my glass is legacy Minolta from my 35mm.
But a few pieces have excellent optics and were goto for photojournalism due to their autofocus before their exit from the camera market. And their used lenses can often be had at less than the nikon or cannon alternatives.
Sony also makes the sensors for almost all cameras on the market today, including their rivals.

50mm f2.8 is a great macro lens at 1:1 magnification.

Also i use a mixture of Aperture(apple), gimp shop(open source version of photoshop), and light room depending on what i am doing with a photo(s). I dont believe aperture still exists think it was replaced with IPhotos, which is kinda useless. But use if simple white balance or similar post processing is needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd man out I use a Sony lol.

Most of my glass is legacy Minolta from my 35mm.
But a few pieces have excellent optics and were goto for photojournalism before their exit from the camera market due to their autfocus. And their used lenses can often be had at less than the nikon or cannon alternatives.
Sony also makes the sensors for almost all cameras on the market today, including their rivals.

50mm f2.8 is a great macro lens at 1:1 magnification.
How does the glass from film cameras work with DSLR? There is someone on offer up with a old canon film camera with 4 lenses for cheap. Do they translate to modern digital cameras? They would probably be all manual.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the glass from film cameras work with DSLR? There is someone on offer up with a old canon film camera with 4 lenses for cheap. Do they translate to modern digital cameras? They would probably be all manual.

Most manufacturers have gone through several mounts over the years. What you want to look for is the name of your current mount and make sure the used lens is the same. Do not buy a lens that requires an adapter to your mount. You will lose image quality.

Manual or auto focus should also be listed on the lens. If not, a simple search of dpreview.com for that lens will answer which one.

Also a 35mm is equivalent to a full frame camera. So if using for example a nikon aps-c a full frame 50mm is really a 75mm on your camera.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was done with a macro tube using a 50mm prime lens I think, probably more than 10 years ago, and with a camera most people now would look at the specs and scoff at.

IMGP4185.jpg

if you do not own a dslr for your first lens, I would NOT get a macro lens, unless all you plan on doing is doing macro shots. This is a specialized lens. I would get a general all purpose zoom lens. Then start getting primes, or macro or telephoto or fisheye or whatever else you want. I won't lie, I do not own a macro lens yet, but I haven't taken many pictures lately. My next lens would probably be 100mm macro tho.

don't spend much money on the dslr body. the value deprecates so fast like most electronics. Invest in your lenses.
My plan is to buy used. I don't need (or know how to use brand new).

Btw, great pic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back