Buying a used DSLR, what lenses are useful? Software?

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does the glass from film cameras work with DSLR? There is someone on offer up with a old canon film camera with 4 lenses for cheap. Do they translate to modern digital cameras? They would probably be all manual.

cheap old glass is another great way to experiment and have fun. I bought an adapter that let me buy extremely cheap but high quality old used glass. that pink zoa picture from earlier was taken with a fullframe 50mm adapted to dslr, the lens was probably from the 1980s. As long as the lens doesn't have significant scratches or mold they work well. Also you have to realize with full frame lenses (which is all they made before dslr) the amount of glass in the lens creates an image muchy bigger than aps-c sensor, and really only the central portion of the lens is really used.

macro tube + tripod + mount for old lens + $50 old lens is a great bargain. but... you could also just put that money to a 100mm macro lens ;) with autofocus and all the works.

In the end, photography is a hobby that you can spend as much as you want. you can get very cheap and creative if you want.

Last edited:

Nan3182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at this point I have a good prospect. I have an agreement for a Canon 70D (like new with cables, software, batteries, etc) for $300. No lens.

She wants another $100 for the lens, Canon 18-135 str. It seems like a good lens based on reviews. I'd still look for a macro lens, but it seems like a good basic lens.

I think I should go for the body, but how about the lens? Is it worth the $100 (maybe $75 if I play my cards right)?
Thats a pretty great deal.

Go Nikon if you’re serious about macro. Depending on what your goals are you could start with a cheap prime lens reversed on your camera body. With this method, you can achieve much better results then the soft focus extension tubes often produce. From there, you could go to a dedicated macro lens. Go macro prime not zoom with “macro” abilities as this is simply the same result of extension tubes, close focusing. If you wanna go balls to the wall you could look into microscope optics on dslr bodies but trust me when I say this is not for a novice. Good luck and I’d be happy to answer more questions if you have any.
Just wondering why you would say if you're serious about macro Nikon is your best option? Not that I am trying to take sides but what does Nikon have that compares with the Canon MPE-65? I haven't been crazy into macro for a little while and maybe some new stuff has come out recently that I am not aware of. Not sure that the reverse lens trick will get you better focus than extension tubes, although the best results will come from a true macro lens. Maybe save the money and invest in a nice used macro lens. Agreed that a macro prime lens vs zoom with macro abilities is always your better option when you're looking for quality.

How does the glass from film cameras work with DSLR? There is someone on offer up with a old canon film camera with 4 lenses for cheap. Do they translate to modern digital cameras? They would probably be all manual.
@Gareth elliott is right with the different mounts and contacts you are better off sticking with actual DSLR lenses. A few older lenses the auto focus will work but most won't, and the sharpness that everyone is looking for will not be there.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What kit do you have? I'm using a SL2 and want to mess around. I plan to buy the 90mm macro but for now Id like to mess around with the $20.

Not sure if I can post links here, but I bought this one off amazon:

c08fa8a264da9da92d2ac2bd5b2d0849.png

I searched for “canon macro extension tubes”

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I can post links here, but I bought this one off amazon:

c08fa8a264da9da92d2ac2bd5b2d0849.png

I searched for “canon macro extension tubes”
I'm pretty sure links are ok. But i'm also sure I can find it. Thanks.

I did find it. One question can you add filters to the end?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheap old glass is another great way to experiment and have fun. I bought an adapter that let me buy extremely cheap but high quality old used glass. that pink zoa picture from earlier was taken with a fullframe 50mm adapted to dslr, the lens was probably from the 1980s. As long as the lens doesn't have significant scratches or mold they work well. Also you have to realize with full frame lenses (which is all they made before dslr) the amount of glass in the lens creates an image muchy bigger than aps-c sensor, and really only the central portion of the lens is really used.

macro tube + tripod + mount for old lens + $50 old lens is a great bargain. but... you could also just put that money to a 100mm macro lens ;) with autofocus and all the works.

In the end, photography is a hobby that you can spend as much as you want. you can get very cheap and creative if you want.
It's all manual focus at that point, correct? There are no electronics built into the old lenses .

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's all manual focus at that point, correct? There are no electronics built into the old lenses .
no auto focus, no auto aperture setting. gets you back to the basics. but obviously more time consuming to get the shot.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, a good macro lens for this camera would be the 60mm macro. I used to own the lens and was one of my fav.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85. And the a/b filter is helpful when shoot overly blue tanks which go beyond the ability for the software to correct for.

Think they are normally sold as Tungsten filters .

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to buy a DSLR (due to feedback from my previous thread). After researching, I am leaning toward a Canon 70D (or T5i if the price is right) but the 70D seems to be "better" if I don't have anything yet. I don't need a 5D mark III. I understand the 70D is more user friendly, and that is what I am looking for. I am not looking for another full time job!!

There are lots of options on Letgo, FB marketplace, etc. I also know that the lens is more important than the camera, so what should I be looking for as all of these are packages. I guess everyone says get the 50mm (nifty fifty) for general use. Some have a 70-200mm (telephoto?), 18-35mm, etc. Macro lens or extension tube? I am planning on taking reef pictures, as well as picture of around the house (dogs, cats, flowers).

Do I need filters for the blue light or do you use the camera itself to adjust the white balance?

Finally, do you need to process the photos afterwards? Do you need to photoshop (again, not looking for another job, lol).
I own 70d and its a fab u may go for 18-135mm lens and a 50mm fix lens that will do all your work[emoji4]

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to buy a DSLR (due to feedback from my previous thread). After researching, I am leaning toward a Canon 70D (or T5i if the price is right) but the 70D seems to be "better" if I don't have anything yet. I don't need a 5D mark III. I understand the 70D is more user friendly, and that is what I am looking for. I am not looking for another full time job!!

There are lots of options on Letgo, FB marketplace, etc. I also know that the lens is more important than the camera, so what should I be looking for as all of these are packages. I guess everyone says get the 50mm (nifty fifty) for general use. Some have a 70-200mm (telephoto?), 18-35mm, etc. Macro lens or extension tube? I am planning on taking reef pictures, as well as picture of around the house (dogs, cats, flowers).

Do I need filters for the blue light or do you use the camera itself to adjust the white balance?

Finally, do you need to process the photos afterwards? Do you need to photoshop (again, not looking for another job, lol).
I dont think u need to edit it if u are getting a good light source

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85. And the a/b filter is helpful when shoot overly blue tanks which go beyond the ability for the software to correct for.

Think they are normally sold as Tungsten filters .
What setup do you guys use when you make the videos? The tank colors always look good and the video is smooth.

Do you change the lighting for videos and pictures?

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setup do you guys use when you make the videos? The tank colors always look good and the video is smooth.

Do you change the lighting for videos and pictures?
I'm curious of this also. I'm new to the tank photography. I can edit other photos with problems But I think this may be a bit harder for me lol

37124618_645522502495096_5284132933244813312_n.jpg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking at macro lenses, do I need to take the crop factor into account? If I was looking at the Tamron 90mm (a nice used like new on Amazon), my camera would effectively make it 144mm. I am guessing it doesn't matter as long as you can frame what you are shooting.

Also, can you use extension tubes on macros to change the focal point. For example, when taking a shot of a flower, you can move in and out, but taking a shot of a coral in the back of the tank, you don't have that luxury. Could you put an extension tube on (I know this will make the frame smaller) to focus on the back?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking at macro lenses, do I need to take the crop factor into account? If I was looking at the Tamron 90mm (a nice used like new on Amazon), my camera would effectively make it 144mm. I am guessing it doesn't matter as long as you can frame what you are shooting.

Also, can you use extension tubes on macros to change the focal point. For example, when taking a shot of a flower, you can move in and out, but taking a shot of a coral in the back of the tank, you don't have that luxury. Could you put an extension tube on (I know this will make the frame smaller) to focus on the back?

No, extension tubes mostly allows some magnification for non macro lens but you’re limited to the focus distance.

Either crop or get a longer macro lens if you want macros of stuff in the back of the tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back