Buying a used Red Sea Reefer 750

Big Rick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up a 4 month old Red Sea Reefer 750 layer today. I am purchasing it from someone who live about 10 minutes away from me.

As most of you may know, the Red Sea Reefer is not flat at the bottom due to the bulkhead nuts. Would it be okay to transport the tank (about 3 miles) if I lay it on its backside?

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a few 2x4's you can put the tank on , that way it raises the bulk heads above the floor .

Home Depot or Lowe's should be able to cut some for you if you don't have them.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the two bys just to be safe. With such a large tank I’d be scared that a dip or bump in the road could cause some issues.

also be sure to check if they have the brace for the stand. If not contact Red Sea, they are supposed to be sending them for free to anyone who registers the tank. You may have to have the seller contact them or at least give you the information they got from the tank when they purchased it.

OP
OP
B

Big Rick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a few 2x4's you can put the tank on , that way it raises the bulk heads above the floor .

Home Depot or Lowe's should be able to cut some for you if you don't have them.
Yes, I have a few. I thought about that as my 1st option but was also considering laying it on its backside (only if there were no issues in doing so).

OP
OP
B

Big Rick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the two bys just to be safe. With such a large tank I’d be scared that a dip or bump in the road could cause some issues.

also be sure to check if they have the brace for the stand. If not contact Red Sea, they are supposed to be sending them for free to anyone who registers the tank. You may have to have the seller contact them or at least give you the information they got from the tank when they purchased it.
LM,

Thanks, I will do that. The gentleman I am purchasing it from purchased it a few months ago but has not registered the tank. So, I will contact them to see if I can get it.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worries about back side , is the stress will crack it , there is a reason they ship tanks standing up , I wouldn't risk it

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my concern also. I'll screw a few 2x4's together and put a sheet of plywood on top.

NO!!!!

The tank has pipes in the back that protrude beyond the bottom. You put weight on them and the bottom WILL crack. Resting the tank on some 2x4s will be fine. I would use 4 evenly spaced with perhaps a moving blanket over the top.

For what it’s worth Red Sea ships the tanks flat on flat stand parts. The key is that the rear pipes are protected because the flat part of the stand wall has the pipe area cut out.

OP
OP
B

Big Rick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO!!!!

The tank has pipes in the back that protrude beyond the bottom. You put weight on them and the bottom WILL crack. Resting the tank on some 2x4s will be fine. I would use 4 evenly spaced with perhaps a moving blanket over the top.

For what it’s worth Red Sea ships the tanks flat on flat stand parts. The key is that the rear pipes are protected because the flat part of the stand wall has the pipe area cut out.
The tank has been safely transported to my home. What I meant when I said a couple of 2x4's with a sheet of plywood on top, is that the dimensions would be slightly less than the depth of the tank. So the tank is now being raised, allowing room for the overflow plumbing. I should have taken a picture of it all. It was extremely easy and all went according to plan.

Thank you all for the advice.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you set your new tank up? Would love to see some photos and a build thread.

OP
OP
B

Big Rick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you set your new tank up? Would love to see some photos and a build thread.
Yes, I have it all set up.

20191201_145042.jpg 20191201_145302.jpg 20191201_145321.jpg 20191201_145407.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back