Buying an established tank with Bubble Algae? How to handle the tranfer?

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends,

I'm a newbie here and could use some help!

I'm buying my second tank to go bigger, the tank I'm buying is an established operational tank that is running with live stock. Its a full setup 65 gallon tank/sump (including rocks, fish, corols, powerhead etc). The concern is this this tank does have some BUBBLE ALGAE and I'm not sure how I should deal with the bubble algae.

Before answering the questions below, keep in mind the tank is currently running at someones house full stock. I will be picking up and transporting the whole setup to my house in buckets. So I need to be able to quickly setup the tank at my house and keep everything alive while avoiding a spike.

Another thing to consider, many months ago I took over my friends established tank, it's 44 gallon total, 34 gallon tank plus 9 gallon sump, its healthy and stable ( fish, anenomes and a couple corals).

Questions:
1) Should I just setup his tank as is, use his rock and battle the bubble algae?
2) Should I not use any of his rock, instead buy and use cycled rock from my LFS? In this case, how much cycled rock do i need to buy to support the tank for a few weeks while I clean the bubble algae rock? How do I clean the bubble algae rock, and after I clean it do I have to cycle it?
3) Crazy Idea - Could I setup a temporary situation for the fish and corals so I had time to clean the bubble algae rocks? For the fish I'm getting, can I setup a temporary tank ? For the corals coming with the bubble algae tank, can I put those corals in my healthy 44 gallon tank, or would I be exposing my healthy tank to the bubble algae and other things?

To summarize, I'm curious how scared I should be of the bubble algae. If I should be worried, what the best steps to eliminate the bubble algae and keep everyone alive and happy.

Thanks in advance!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends,

I'm a newbie here and could use some help!

I'm buying my second tank to go bigger, the tank I'm buying is an established operational tank that is running with live stock. Its a full setup 65 gallon tank/sump (including rocks, fish, corols, powerhead etc). The concern is this this tank does have some BUBBLE ALGAE and I'm not sure how I should deal with the bubble algae.

Before answering the questions below, keep in mind the tank is currently running at someones house full stock. I will be picking up and transporting the whole setup to my house in buckets. So I need to be able to quickly setup the tank at my house and keep everything alive while avoiding a spike.

Another thing to consider, many months ago I took over my friends established tank, it's 44 gallon total, 34 gallon tank plus 9 gallon sump, its healthy and stable ( fish, anenomes and a couple corals).

Questions:
1) Should I just setup his tank as is, use his rock and battle the bubble algae?
2) Should I not use any of his rock, instead buy and use cycled rock from my LFS? In this case, how much cycled rock do i need to buy to support the tank for a few weeks while I clean the bubble algae rock? How do I clean the bubble algae rock, and after I clean it do I have to cycle it?
3) Crazy Idea - Could I setup a temporary situation for the fish and corals so I had time to clean the bubble algae rocks? For the fish I'm getting, can I setup a temporary tank ? For the corals coming with the bubble algae tank, can I put those corals in my healthy 44 gallon tank, or would I be exposing my healthy tank to the bubble algae and other things?

To summarize, I'm curious how scared I should be of the bubble algae. If I should be worried, what the best steps to eliminate the bubble algae and keep everyone alive and happy.

Thanks in advance!
Many reefers have used Vibrant to battle bubble algae.

OP
OP
E

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments folks. My LFS scared me into thinking bubble algae was really difficult.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the above! Scrape off all you can and then use vibrant or some emerald crabs to remove the rest!

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with a foxface eliminating all my bubble algae, but a 65 might be a bit small for a foxface

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a piece of Lee’s 1/2” to 5/8” Rigid tubing, fit a hose over it. With electrical tape, tape a sturdy plastic Knife to the end of the Rigid tubing. Pick and suck up the Bubble Algae. I secure the end of the hose in a filter sock in the sump. Clean and Bleach the sock afterwards. I found out that Emerald Crabs can’t eat the larger Bubble Algae, only the Buds, and Smaller stuff.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back