Buying colony vs frags-pros and cons?

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, what should someone keep an eye out when buying colonies? What do you look for besides good polyp extension and making sure the corals aren't covered in pests.

As of now, I have several zoa frags and few LPS like Acans and euphyllia, all of these are very small and to be honest it is quite rewarding to see new polyps grow from these frags.

What are the pros and cons of buying a colony vs growing one from frags? besides, the obvious money point of view. There is an LFS I visit often, all my frags are from them, and I have been happy so far. Just wanted to know if there is any advantage at all for buying decent size colonies over frags, besides the immediate reward of a great looking tank?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, what should someone keep an eye out when buying colonies? What do you look for besides good polyp extension and making sure the corals aren't covered in pests.

As of now, I have several zoa frags and few LPS like Acans and euphyllia, all of these are very small and to be honest it is quite rewarding to see new polyps grow from these frags.

What are the pros and cons of buying a colony vs growing one from frags? besides, the obvious money point of view. There is an LFS I visit often, all my frags are from them, and I have been happy so far. Just wanted to know if there is any advantage at all for buying decent size colonies over frags, besides the immediate reward of a great looking tank?

Some negatives to colonies, or at least concerns.
Colonies sometimes might be harder to acclimate to a new setup. They have grown under a particular flow pattern and their growth is based on that pattern. Moving to a new tank it will be hard to match that flow, to all of the colony.

Some colonies dont transport well, especially true of anything with thin branches. On a frag its easy to use styrofoam to protect it but on a colony of multiple locations of possible injury this becomes impractical.

A lot more expensive lol.

Harder to locate pests and properly dip.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some negatives to colonies, or at least concerns.
Colonies sometimes might be harder to acclimate to a new setup. They have grown under a particular flow pattern and their growth is based on that pattern. Moving to a new tank it will be hard to match that flow, to all of the colony.

Some colonies dont transport well, especially true of anything with thin branches. On a frag its easy to use styrofoam to protect it but on a colony of multiple locations of possible injury this becomes impractical.

A lot more expensive lol.

Harder to locate pests and properly dip.
Makes sense. I didn't think about branches getting injured. thanks. I have been thinking of purchasing a few colonies just so the tank doesnt look empty. As of now, all the little frags don't add up to much.

Just wanted to hear everyone's ideas before i venture into colonies and drop a boat load of money. :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWC have some good deals on frag packs. Could always spend the same amount for a few packs.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWC have some good deals on frag packs. Could always spend the same amount for a few packs.
That's another thing that surprises me. I have been to WWC when I was vacationing in Florida, great store, no doubt about it. I have also been to few other reef stores around the country, thanks to my travelling job.

the LFS closest to me, has been the cheapest for frags I could ever see anywhere. their frags are $5, $15 and $25 depending on size of the plug and coral size, usually their $25 frags are about the same size as I would see for any $100 and above frags online.

I know there is a great deal of assumption on the previous statement, but I am just trying to wrap my head around it. I am sure it's also a whole another discussion when it comes to price of corals, but I am just saying I see mostly the same corals for about $5 at my LFS that I would often see for $25 or above anywhere else. I just dont understand the price given that the $5 ones open up and grow great just as well as the ones I have bought from some big name corals shops online.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another thing that surprises me. I have been to WWC when I was vacationing in Florida, great store, no doubt about it. I have also been to few other reef stores around the country, thanks to my travelling job.

the LFS closest to me, has been the cheapest for frags I could ever see anywhere. their frags are $5, $15 and $25 depending on size of the plug and coral size, usually their $25 frags are about the same size as I would see for any $100 and above frags online.

I know there is a great deal of assumption on the previous statement, but I am just trying to wrap my head around it. I am sure it's also a whole another discussion when it comes to price of corals, but I am just saying I see mostly the same corals for about $5 at my LFS that I would often see for $25 or above anywhere else. I just dont understand the price given that the $5 ones open up and grow great just as well as the ones I have bought from some big name corals shops online.

A lot of pricing is market controlled, not just corals. Like i decide to sell A self buttering toaster its $10, business next door makes their own version. I add a chrome model i now charge $15. But offer a $2 coupon. We begin a lowering/raising war, eventually the market will decide what we both can charge and they will purchase.

Besides that you are also paying for proper qt, the coral you want when you want it, and the connivence of not talking to a sales staff member(i sometimes dislike people), [emoji23] as well as no lines.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of pricing is market controlled, not just corals. Like i decide to sell A self buttering toaster its $10, business next door makes their own version. I add a chrome model i now charge $15. But offer a $2 coupon. We begin a lowering/raising war, eventually the market will decide what we both can charge and they will purchase.

Besides that you are also paying for proper qt, the coral you want when you want it, and the connivence of not talking to a sales staff member(i sometimes dislike people), [emoji23] as well as no lines.
I agree to all of that and I believe that's how most business are run. me being new to the hobby, just wanted to understand if there are more to buying corals than just the business end of things.

proper QT is a very valid point, I can totally see that.

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS will source out from indonesian exporter, he will get a minimum box per order of maricultured corals. Shipping is pricey, but corals are cheaper, and they are colonies.

I got lucky with a colony of fire work clove polyps for $40 at my lfs. While two-three polyps go for $25-40 market price

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying tiny frags is better for sps since larger colonies will have adjusted to the light and flow of another tank. Nothing wrong with softie or lps colonies imo.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back