Buying new equipment and don't know where to turn.

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of stuff are you looking for? I primarily use Bulk Reef Supply, Amazon and the Dry Goods Selling section of this website.

OP
OP
dippydawg

dippydawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of stuff are you looking for? I primarily use Bulk Reef Supply, Amazon and the Dry Goods Selling section of this website.
I have a 75gallon that I'm rebuilding and I was looking at a trigger 34 sump. The skimmer section has a footprint of 10x14. I have a curve 5 bubble magus skimmer but was told I should replace. The person that is helping me is interested in the money he will make not the hobby. I would like to update my system to no more than 190 gallons at some point. So I guess should I upgrade my skimmer now for the eventual upgraded tank or wait?

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gallon that I'm rebuilding and I was looking at a trigger 34 sump. The skimmer section has a footprint of 10x14. I have a curve 5 bubble magus skimmer but was told I should replace. The person that is helping me is interested in the money he will make not the hobby. I would like to update my system to no more than 190 gallons at some point. So I guess should I upgrade my skimmer now for the eventual upgraded tank or wait?

The Curve 5 should be fine unless you plan to have a very heavy bioload. I'd stick with it for now. The way I look at it it makes more sense to wait and buy the skimmer that's appropriate for the upgrade at the time of the upgrade. If you buy used (which I tend to do) prices come down every time a new model comes out. Unless you absolutely have to have all the latest greatest gear you can save a lot of money staying a little behind the curve (no pun intended).

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how long until you upgrade to a bigger tank. There is such a thing as over skimming so I probably wouldn't buy a skimmer rated for 190 gallons and use it on a 75 unless the 75 was heavily stocked with fish and corals. I would advise you to go to the Forums (you'll find it on the bar at the top of the page) and then scroll down to where it says
Selling Forum (dry goods) and check out what people are selling there. Usually it's a good mix of new and used items for reasonable prices.

OP
OP
dippydawg

dippydawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Curve 5 should be fine unless you plan to have a very heavy bioload. I'd stick with it for now. The way I look at it it makes more sense to wait and buy the skimmer that's appropriate for the upgrade at the time of the upgrade. If you buy used (which I tend to do) prices come down every time a new model comes out. Unless you absolutely have to have all the latest greatest gear you can save a lot of money staying a little behind the curve (no pun intended).
Thank you for your reply. I have had sleepless nights thinking about what to do.

OP
OP
dippydawg

dippydawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how long until you upgrade to a bigger tank. There is such a thing as over skimming so I probably wouldn't buy a skimmer rated for 190 gallons and use it on a 75 unless the 75 was heavily stocked with fish and corals. I would advise you to go to the Forums (you'll find it on the bar at the top of the page) and then scroll down to where it says
Selling Forum (dry goods) and check out what people are selling there. Usually it's a good mix of new and used items for reasonable prices.
Thank you. I was looking at the diablo on the dry goods page.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I agree the Curve 5 should be fine on a 75 unless heavily loaded. I actually used one on a lightly loaded 120g as a temporary solution for a bit. Was surprised it worked as well as it did.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back