Buying used equipment….what are you willing to buy used?

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the costs of everything going through the roof, saving some money on a new build is very attractive. Some things I will only buy new:
Return pumps
Heaters
Dosers

if I can find good pre-owned equipment, well cared, for at a reasonable price, I buy it. Taking into account the lack of any warranty affects the price even on recent hardware, so 10% off retail won’t cut it, no matter how “new” it appears. Usually this stuff comes about from someone getting out of the hobby due to the commitment involved.
For my new Cade 1500 build I have found a couple of things at a great price that will save me a ton.
I had to drive about 3.5 hours each way yesterday, but I found (2) five month old Radion X30 G5 pros with mounting arms for $500 each. I also bought an unused Aeraqua duo Ad600 skimmmer for $400. I was too late on 2 Mp40’s they sold for $100 each.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big proponent of buying used equipment including aquarium setups. That’s the way I got mine. Always ask condition, how old, bought new or used, and why selling. Ideally someone is upgrading to a larger aquarium or getting out of the hobby. You can used the marketplace on this site or similar selling site.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the costs of everything going through the roof, saving some money on a new build is very attractive. Some things I will only buy new:
Return pumps
Heaters
Dosers

if I can find good pre-owned equipment, well cared, for at a reasonable price, I buy it. Taking into account the lack of any warranty affects the price even on recent hardware, so 10% off retail won’t cut it, no matter how “new” it appears. Usually this stuff comes about from someone getting out of the hobby due to the commitment involved.
For my new Cade 1500 build I have found a couple of things at a great price that will save me a ton.
I had to drive about 3.5 hours each way yesterday, but I found (2) five month old Radion X30 G5 pros with mounting arms for $500 each. I also bought an unused Aeraqua duo Ad600 skimmmer for $400. I was too late on 2 Mp40’s they sold for $100 each.
Used skimmers are usually fine, they can take a lot of abuse and if something goes wrong you generally just have to replace a pump

id prob buy used LEDs too if they were recent gen/age

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only thing I wouldn’t buy used is heaters. They are one of the cheapest components on our systems though so it’s no big deal. Controllers I’m on the fence with since they can be finicky and hard to tell what their condition is. Return pumps I’m not averse to buying used but I think that’s because I look for red dragon and abyzz pumps that typically can last a good long time. Pretty much anything else that doesn’t directly kill my system if it breaks, I won’t bat an eye at a good used deal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most anything that is repetubale and works well at a savings

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t buy anything used that could leak or cause a leak, like a tank or an ATO.

For anything else, it has to be fairly recent for me to buy it. I bought an RO/DI system and it was a really good buy.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like used where ever I can, I have gotten a free skimmer minus the pump.
I got a water proof fuge light at a third the price.

But everything else I got new.
The other way to save is to buy equipment that will do the job at a fraction of the cost. You don't need the latest and greatest.
One thing I refuse to buy is a $500 powerhead, just can't do it.
I have two $25 powerheads I bought on sale and two 30 year old powerheads in my tank and they move water just fine.

I have seen many test kits for sale but when you factor in shipping, you might as well buy new.

Buying lights used is a gamble, you will never really know how much life they have left nor condition until it's too late.
There are inexpensive options.

Almost forgot, I bought a used dual stage regulator. Haven't used it yet, it was cheap.

Buying used could be great or it can bite you in the rear. You never know.

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider any reputable brand, except maybe the heater. Anything acrylic I’d consider, especially a good deal since it’s super easy to work with and refurbish. I’ve “flipped” some tanks & sumps in my time.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like used where ever I can, I have gotten a free skimmer minus the pump.
I got a water proof fuge light at a third the price.

But everything else I got new.
The other way to save is to buy equipment that will do the job at a fraction of the cost. You don't need the latest and greatest.
One thing I refuse to buy is a $500 powerhead, just can't do it.
I have two $25 powerheads I bought on sale and two 30 year old powerheads in my tank and they move water just fine.

I have seen many test kits for sale but when you factor in shipping, you might as well buy new.

Buying lights used is a gamble, you will never really know how much life they have left nor condition until it's too late.
There are inexpensive options.

Almost forgot, I bought a used dual stage regulator. Haven't used it yet, it was cheap.

Buying used could be great or it can bite you in the rear. You never know.
I was SO annoyed by the $500 powerhead when it came along...but wow do they move water. I'd buy a used vortech in a second with the plan in mind that I will need a spare wet side on hand.

Used protein skimmer is a no brainer. So is used calcium reactor if you plan to got hat route. Really any kind of "reactor." They have no moving parts. You may need to replace a pump. Used RODI is a no brainer.

I'd buy a used controller too, if the other option was no controller. You would need new probes.

At various times I've bought most kinds of equipment used. Actually, all kinds of equipment. It's okay to save money as long as you have in mind the reality that you may need to spend money to dig yourself out of a hole. The only one item that I have every had a problem with that I bought used was a kessil controller. Some jerk sold me a broken one via mail. Wasn't with making a federal case of it. I think the key is to see whatever it is you're buying working first hand.

And avoid things that "go bad" if abused or heavily used. E.g. lights that have been run at 100% all the time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps
Heaters
Dosers

Just heaters.

I bought my eheim return pump 7 years ago USED and it still works :D

Almost everything I own for my tank is used and it works and works for a fraction of the price.

Besides, isn't re-using good for the environment and all that jazz?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tank, equipment, livestock and ran it for a year for $1000. Link is in my signature. Almost all used, but high quality stuff.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nice reef.

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love buying used gear! I spend a good portion of my week hunting down deals that make sense for my current build. I build semi-high end systems for clients for a reasonable price by buying used. I seal tanks so used tanks are a plus as long as the scratches are at a minimum or cheap enough to purchase a front glass piece. I agree with everyone on heaters. It’s just a no no. Too cheap to chance a total system boil. Lights are my fav find. I make my own t5/led (radion) fixtures for reef tanks. I have 2 3D printers and a good cnc cutter so I can fix a lot of damage done to gear and renew most to new. Just my 2cents!

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a used heater! Even new heaters will eventually FAIL! Their average life expectancy is probably around two years. BRSTV recommends you REPLACE ALL of your heaters every two years! Caveat emptor...

FWIW, if a manufacturer guarantees their heaters for five years, that would be a different story. But they don't!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything ive bought used was eventually regretted. Heaters had issues with temperature being off or leaked voltage. Bought a used ozotech ozonizer didnt work at all (guy shipped it to me). Bought a used ro skimmer and the pump leaked current after 6 months. 4 months later the acrylic started crazing. Bought a tank that had tons of scratches and cracked later on.

A few things that were a good deal used that i didnt regret were old dead live rock and base rock. And a used metal halide / t5 setup. Maybe im just unlucky but most people dont sell whats valuable to them for cheap. Theres a reason they're selling it.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything as long as the price is right, maybe not heaters but only because I treat them as disposable. Also finicky equipment like my trident I bought new, but if one was available for 50% of retail when I was looking for one....maybe? I’ve bought used mp10s and 40s in the past but couldn’t find any deals when I setup this tank so got some new gyres. Buying tear downs from a reputable source is the best bang for your buck.

of my current setup.
Tank, lights, apex, fmm, sump, stand, skimmer, Rodi, return pump, mixing station, frag tank, rock, calcium reactor, all used.

trident, gyres, heaters, rollermat, 2nd carx chamber, Kramoer, fugue light, sand, and carbon doses were new.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back