OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish how do I dose metro while copper is in the tank? I will dose the straight powder into the QT right? In your treatment option -> metro you said you dose to 200 mg per 20-40 gallons the first day, then move it up to 400 mg to make sure the fish can take metro. How much will I dose? I have about 8.5 gallons in there.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions say to
Use 1-2 measures (included) per every 40 L (10 US gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours for up to 3 weeks or until symptoms disappear.

that's not very exact. So should I do one dose today, two doses Thursday, and 1 dose Saturday, 2 doses Monday, 1 dose Wednesday, 2 doses Friday and Saturday carbon and large water change?

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish You said you dose to 500 mg I believe the first day, then up the dose again the second day? Dose metro dissolve/dissapate every so often or do I need to keep redosing like Seachem says to?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish You said you dose to 500 mg I believe the first day, then up the dose again the second day? Dose metro dissolve/dissapate every so often or do I need to keep redosing like Seachem says to?

If using Seachem Metroplex, repeat dosage every 48 hours. Metronidazole dissipates rapidly out of the water.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using Seachem Metroplex, repeat dosage every 48 hours. Metronidazole dissipates rapidly out of the water.

So should I do one dose today, two doses Thursday, and 1 dose Saturday, 2 doses Monday, 1 dose Wednesday, 2 doses Friday and Saturday carbon and large water change? Will that work or just do two doses every other day for 10 days? Seachem says use it for at least 14 days, will 10 be enough?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I do one dose today, two doses Thursday, and 1 dose Saturday, 2 doses Monday, 1 dose Wednesday, 2 doses Friday and Saturday carbon and large water change? Will that work or just do two doses every other day for 10 days? Seachem says use it for at least 14 days, will 10 be enough?

I would stick with 1 measure per 10 gallons every 48 hrs. You can ramp it up to 2 measures after 5-6 days if 1 measure isn’t having the desired effect.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with 1 measure per 10 gallons every 48 hrs. You can ramp it up to 2 measures after 5-6 days if 1 measure isn’t having the desired effect.

How do I know if 1 measure is doing anything? He's not showing any signs of brook or ich. I'll dose 1 measure tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One measure Metroplex added today. 10 more days and GobiWan is clean of ich and Brook! I'll let him rest for a week or two, then do Prazi and he'll be finished with meds. Then he'll only have a little longer and he can go back in DT and I can get clowns again!

I've been thinking, I may want to replace the six=line in my stocking list with a pygmy angel... I was thinking mabye a coral beauty or flame angel? I really love the fish, but not sure if I want to take the risk of them eating corals.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking, I may want to replace the six=line in my stocking list with a pygmy angel... I was thinking mabye a coral beauty or flame angel? I really love the fish, but not sure if I want to take the risk of them eating corals.

IME; its not a matter of IF, but WHEN and WHAT a dwarf angel is going to nip at.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHat corals do they generally nip at? What is that thread, its like check if a fish is right for your tank? Massive thread. I can't find it though.

Dwarf angels generally nip at polyps/zoas and fleshy LPS. It varies though.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I;m getting the tank today!! ANd the wood for my stand. Should be able to set it up tomorrow if I can get the stand built in time. Super excited!! This is going to be a frag/growout tank and possibly a fish breeding project as well! Thinking about trying something like bangaii cardinals or mabye some kind of goby. Either way, what are the best frags that grow fast and sell for decent money? I was thinking mabye a euphyllia like hammers and torches, a few LPS like favites or Duncan or acan mabye, and then high end softies like different types of shrooms, zoas, mabye a back wall of GSP or pulsing xenia as you can usually sell that for a few bucks. Any suggestions?

So on the sand, do ya'll think its in my best interests to wash it really really well with saltwater, or just give it a quick rinse through with saltwater, or a decent rinse with saltwater, or rinse it super well with freshwater to kill everything and basically restart? I'm thinking probably the decent rinse, enough to get all yucky organics and build up out, but not so much that I wipe out all the pods and good bb.

Ontoo the scaping... I wonder how much rock I'll need. I just calculated it, and the biocube has almost the same area as my 20 long!! 342 square inches compared to 360. Thats not that huge of a difference. What does make a difference is I've got 6 inches higher to fill. I'm debating how close I want to go to the top. These lights are really powerfull, soemthing like 400 par at 6 inches. I'm not sure if I'll do any SPS like birdsnest, but I don't think I will. I'm thinking end up about 4-6 inches from the top at the highest part, for any light loving LPS or if I do decide to do a few SPS. Mabye 20 lbs of reef ready rock? From my experience, it seems like a lot for not much poundage. Its so holey, and light and porous its a lot. All the rock I rescaped with? Only 3 lbs. So I'm thinking 20 lbs might be overkill. Mabye 15? But last thing I want to do is scape and not have enough... But 5 extra pounds is $15 more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank time! Woot woot!!! This is the biggest tank I have now! 24 g JBJ nanocube. DIY LED lights, good condition, and came with lots of equipment!

Lets start with what this build is going to be. I will be breeding Bangaii Cardinals, and use it as a growout tank for euphyllias and softies, mainly zoas and shrooms.

I drove out to this guys house, well, I didn't drive but I was driven out there lol. Anyways, I walk in, and I see the tank in a corner I'm like DANG this thing is huge. Seems way bigger then my 20 long. I look it over, its dirty, sand is full of detritus, but I'm super happy to find there's this MASSIVE hollywood stunner chalice in it. Literally it is in a bowl shape and as wide and deep as the tank. Massive. The lights 5 LED's are out, but all I need to do is purchase whatever LED's I want, and take it to him and he'll fix them up. He'd sold the rock, but there was still the sandbed. The tank was covered in algae, but no scratches. The hood looked to be in good shape, but the little feeding flap didn't lock in, you can just lift it out, and the hood itself, you know how you should be able to prop it up, it didn't have those two props.

In a corner, he had this giant pile of fish stuff. He asked if I wanted the tank, and I said yes. I shouldv'e got pictures, but I was too excited lol. Anyways, he starts draining it, and says I can have whatever of the fish stuff I want. I go over and start sorting stuff and there's a ton. Pumps, heaters, driftwood, filters, you name it. So I pull most of the stuff out, and start taking it out to the car. He fills my Brute I brought with about 10 gallons, then puts the cinnamon palys, the few tiny live rock pieces, and the chalice in. I put the brute in one seat of the minivan, strap it in. Then he finishes draining it while I start carrying stuff out. We put the tank in the front seat, and fill the foot area with stuff. Then I fill the side door area, and the backseat, and the trunk with stuff, including the water. I leave just enough room for me to have a seat.

When I come home it was pretty late, so I unloaded the tank, and PHEW it stunk on the way home. The sand was NASTY and the live rock rubble too. It about stunk us out on the ride home. Anyway, I unload the tank, and shuttle stuff up to my room. It covered the floor of my room lol. In the morning, I had to go to school until about 12, but when I came back I ate and immediatly started setting stuff up. I started by taking a jug of old saltwater that he gave me, and I'd scoop the sand out into a collander, rinse it until it ran clear, and then put the clean sand in a bucket. Did that with all the live rock rubble too. He'd filled the second and some of the third chamber with live rock rubble. After that, I took the tank to the hose, and sprayed it out really well. Then I got a bucket of vinegar, and started all the pumps and heaters running and soaking. Then I scrubbed out the tank really well, scraped the glass, all that good stuff. Looked like new when I was finished!

For the stand I'm using my dresser. Its well made, with 3/4" plywood on the two sides, and 1/2" plywood on top. I knew the sides weren't giving out, and it had cross bracing as well, so it wouldn't tip, but i was worried about the top as it was flexing under my weight. I went out and got some 2x4s, and 1/2" plywood. I painted and ripped the plywood down to size, and then laid the 2x4s across the dresser, from one sturdy side to the other. 4 in total. Then I attached the plywood to the 2x4s. Its not quite finished, but all I need to do is tack/glue on some trip and paint the edges, which I can easily do with the tank on. I think it looks pretty good actually.

I carried the clean tank up, and put it on the stand. Then I put the sand in, and using the water that was in the tank at his house, filled it up. I did use 5 gallons of clean fresh saltwater, and some clean RO/DI. This wasn't quite enough water, I needed about another gallon of saltwater. I mixed up 5 more gallons of SW, and now the water had settled a bit saw that there was a 1/2" of detritus everywhere. Dang it. I thought iI'd rinsed it well! So I did a good gravel vac, and pulled out 4 gallons, then replaced it with the clean saltwater I'd just mixed up. I put the return pump (maxijet 1200, 295 gph), and the heater in (100 watt finnex titanium heater. Its TINY and I love it. Like, 5 inches short, and less then 1/2 inch wide. Super durable too. I plug it in, and it starts cycling water through. I put floss at the bottom, where it flows under the first divider, then a large cell sponge that it came with, and then floss. I stirred everything up, and let it flow. After it cleared up a bit after about 3 hours I stirred it more. Then I noticed it was super loud water fall noise, and it turned out the floss and sponge were super clogged. I rinsed the sponge, and tossed the floss. I put more in, stirred it up and went to bed. This morning it was mostly clear, definitely not clear like it should be, but i could see everything. The chalice was gorgeous under blues.

I replaced the floss and rinsed the sponge again, and this time added a polishing felt as it was clearing up faster now. Then I stirred it up with my hand and a turkey baster. Then I realized I could add another of my 4 or 5 maxijet 1200s to get better water movement to keep stuff in the water column until it got sucked up. So I threw another one in there and now had really good circular water movement. That was a good stirring, and when I came up after breakfast it was clogged up again. I rinsed the floss and sponge, and the felt. Then I realized I could use the maxijet to stir instead of a turkey baster and sand... So I blew EVERYTHING up. Sand everywhere, you name it. I probably need to replace the stuff again lol. I think its close though. Hard to do much with the massive chalice in there.

I broke off quite a bit, still barely took any off, but I put the frags in my 20 for now. I'll be calling LFS and seeing if they want them. I'm sure I could sell them frags for $5 each at least, as long as I don't offer them 20. Supply and demand! I'll also offer as much as a local reefer wants for a good price. Really pretty coral.

So heres the tank! I took these pics right after I stirred it up with the powerhead, oops! I'm leaving for tdoay, but tomorrow I'll have all afternoon to do whatever I want with the tank, so I'll take clear pics then. You can sort of see the chalice.

p1070144-jpg.437576

p1070145-jpg.437577

And the view from my bed! Excuse the mess, still a lot of fish stuff.
p1070147-jpg.437578

I'm planning on getting a little drawer thing to go beside my dresser, it'll store all my fish stuff for it, and I can rest the big box that the lights go into on top.

Since 5 LED's are out, I think I'll be getting 3 UVs, and two royal blues. He'll solder them in for me.

I need about 10 more lbs of sand, I think I'll get oolite or fiji pink as its like a larger bimini pink mix, needs some smaller stuff. I will also be ordering 15 lbs of BRS Reef Ready rock soon. I can't really do anything until I get most of this chalice sold. Hoping I can make my $100 back from it and get all this for free.

I finally sold my skimmer! $300. That will help for this build. Thank goodness!

Gobiwan has 7 more days in metro, and then he's clean of brook and ich. I'll run him through prazi and then it's just sitting through the rest of the fallow period. I was thinking... what if I took him out of QT when he's gone through prazi, and put him in the biocube? He'll have sand, he'll have rock, he'll be happy. He'll be clean, and he can stay in there in comfort until my 20 long is finished. What do ya'll think?

Some of the cool stuff I got: 4 or 5 maxijet 1200, one seio or something like that 850 gph pump (big ole' beast), everythign for hatching brine shrimp, eggs, hatchery, ect., 4 stage spectrapure RO/DI unit, probably need to replace everything but I bet I could sell it. I'll run some water through and see what the TDS is. Gloves, scrubber brush, lots of additives, which will be very useful. Multiple heaters. Also a super useful working eheim auto-feeder, just in time for vacation! Pill boxes too, so I can give people exact amounts to feed on what days when I'm gone.
p1070140-jpg.437570
p1070139-jpg.437569
p1070141-jpg.437572
p1070142-jpg.437574

Also got the Hydro Rotating Flo Deflector. Basically a cheap RFG. Its not random, but it spins, and shoots water everywhere. I'll definitely be using it.
p1070143-jpg.437575

Right now I need to get the rock ordered, get the chalice sold, get sand, cycle it. My 3 compartment AIO are number one, where it overflows into. This is where I have my mechainical filtration. Then I have the second compartment half filled with LR rubble, and the carbon on top of that. Eventually when I get a light this will be where my chaeto will be. The third compartment is equipment, heater, return pump. Wierdly, his water was really low sg, 1.021. So I mixed up at my usual 1.026, and so salinity is about 1.022. I'll be adding some saltwater as topoff, along with the usual RO/DI, to raise salinity to 1.025. I don't have an ATO yet, but as I already have the pump, its cheap to get the relay, powercord, float switches. I'll be building one eventually.

I'll be back tonight late, but I'll be able to update with better pics and stuff tomorrow afternoon!

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So! Finally got the sandbed cleaned, I can stir it and it only clouds a bit. Got polishing felt and carbon too, so it should be very clear soon. Did a 5 gallon water change today, good gravel vac, all that good stuff. Continuing to slowly raise salinity to 1.025 from 1.021.

Haven't called anyone yet, but may be heading to a fish store sometime this week to sell some frags.

I ordered some salt about a week ago from drs. foster smith as they were having a sale, 50 gallons of salt was only $12. Jumped on it but stupidly ordered the wrong salt... Ugh. So I have 50 gallons of instant ocean salt now. Well, I guess I'll be switching for a few months. This is the first time I've had to buy more salt... after over 5 months.

For breeding the Bangaii's, I'll be culturing white worms, and using LRS fish frenzy to condition them. I need to place a large order. Thankfully the Skimmer is sold so I have plenty to buy everything I need. I'll be getting these https://www.etsy.com/listing/558137638/white-worm-starter-culture-organic to start my culture.

So I've got an idea. Gobiwan has 5 more days left in copper and metro, then he's completely clean of brook and ich. I'll give him a week or two to recover, then run him through a quick round or two of Prazi. My idea is, after I finish that, I put him in the nanocube. He'll be happier, safer, and better water params. He'll have sand to burrow in, lots of biomedia, ect. I may even decide to keep him up there, as my family doesn't really like him becuase "he never comes out". I saw him all the time when he was in DT but OK... Anyways, I'll have to catch the pistol. I'll see what my fam wants, but that's probably what'll happen.

Stocking for the nanocube I'm thinking will be 2 bangaii cardinals for sure, mabye Gobiwan and a pistol shrimp, and another fish, mabye a purple dottyback, or royal gramma? Not sure. I need to cut out a piece of the hood to fit a light in for the fuge, get some cheato growing.

Here's the chalice from the side.
p1070163-jpg.438180

Got this fuel, aminos, carbs. Only a bit left, but I'll be dosing in my 20. If they like it I'll get more as i've heard corals love it.
p1070166-jpg.438182

In the middle of the 5 gallon water change today
p1070168-jpg.438184

Some FTS. Still a bit cloudy but I'm hoping it'll continue to clear up more and more.
p1070170-jpg.438185
p1070171-jpg.438186

Net time I go to the LFS I need to pic up a CUC, thinking 3-4 Astrea, 3 zombie snails (just forgot the name lololol) 1 of which will go in the 20, to take total up to 2, and a scarlet legged hermit or two.

Got some cinnamon palys too. Not my fav, but... still free coral haha
p1070176-jpg.438187

Chalice under flash and then full mixed.
p1070181-jpg.438188
p1070182-jpg.438189

5 LEDs are out, so I think I'll get 2 UV, and 3 royal blue. Mabye a red or green? Idk do they make anything look better? The cover for the LED's is acrylic, and I can see some hot spots, so mabye I'll scuff it up like @Stella1979 thought she might do on here LED to get basically a diffuser.

Chalice from the side. I broke off a good 3-4 inches from the front for frags.
p1070163-jpg.438180

New bag of IO
p1070183-jpg.438190

Did the first w/c on my 20 in over 3 weeks. Everything's been really happy and lots of pods. I've been dosing 20-30 drops of phyto every other, day, and broadcast feeding Roids twice a week. I'll target feed with Roids and phyto mix and mysis once or twice a week.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish the YWG has now been in Copper for 32 days. Metro got its last dose today and is at 11 days. I just want to check, but I'm good to end it, put carbon in and do water changes correct? After I get all med out I'll do a quick round of Prazi and then out him in the 24. Sound good?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish the YWG has now been in Copper for 32 days. Metro got its last dose today and is at 11 days. I just want to check, but I'm good to end it, put carbon in and do water changes correct? After I get all med out I'll do a quick round of Prazi and then out him in the 24. Sound good?

Yes, but remember two rounds of Prazipro (7 days apart) are required in order to deworm.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! Carbon is in and water brewing for change.

Turns out I get to go to the fish store tomorrow so I'll go ahead and be moving him to the nanocube, before doing prazi, put the fish I get through QT, I'm thinking probably a royal gramma, and after they're finished QTing put him back in QT for quick round of Prazi. Or can I do prazi in the tank? Just a hollywood stunner chalice and live sand and some live rock rubble.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to the LFS tomorrow, may be piking up either Cardinal Tetras or Bangaii cardinal pair. I think I want to dose prophylactically.

@Humblefish do you have any experince with freshwater cardinal tetras? Is it safe to dose copper with them? Will paraguard combat any ich or velvet they may have while not being as harsh as copper? What about methylne blue?

I know whichever one I will be dosing Prazi-pro after other meds are done.

If I get the Bangaii cardinal's, what's your recommended prophylactic dosing? Copper, prazi, and metro? Should I get Seachem Paraguard or an antibiotic? Would it be easiest to do 2 or 3 baths with Kordon's Rid Ich+ to make sure to get rid of brook and ich then using copper?

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update!

The nanocube has got a really bad hairalgae/cyano/diatom outbreak. I'll be picking up a CUC, along with hopefully some dry rock, mabye meds, cardinal tetras or bangaii cardinals from the LFS tomorrw! Hoping to sell that giant chalice off too.

The 20 I still have not caught that dang pistol shrimp, but 4 new heads on the one head hammer! Super siked as I love that thing. All corals are doing awesome, even after going over 4 weeks without a water change. I did one last week after going over 4 weeks and it looked a lot better, but everything was still happy.

Gobiwan will be moving to the nanocube today, and QT will be broken down, sterilized, and restarted for the cards or Bangaii's.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back