Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve found most ORA bred/captive breds are tiny. Tank looks good though! I just set up my own CADE 1200 and I’ve been lazy to take pics.
New aptasia eating file fish added! From ORA through algae barn. I was shocked how small he was!
Hahaha thank you! I’ve been taking them so I don’t forget what is looked like at the start. Itll never be as clean as it is now

World Wide Corals
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
E10741D3-BE82-41CE-A3F4-C6CB30CF8661.jpeg

Here is a photo of the dosing system before it was routed into the sump

AS

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Big day today!

I added the fish that got me into the hobby, while I know he is not aquaculture. This is the fish that got me into the hobby 8 years ago. I finally have a tank big enough to house him. He came a bit bigger than I expected.

I purchased him from @tsmaquatics, they did a great job with this fish. He is healthy, fat, and already nibbling at my rocks. He isn't skittish at all either. He is about 4inches in size.

As you can see in the photos he is much bigger than his tank mates!

I am also starting to get a coating of brown on the new reef rock and some slight traces of cyano. I do dose bacteria weekly along with a calcium mix for coral snow to clear up the water. it has made my water extremely clear.

In the pictures the water may look not as clear, that is because the foxface shed like crazy when he first got in.
IMG_5577.jpg
IMG_5578.jpg

OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
IN not as big news today. I did bolster the clean up crew a bit for the algae. I added 6 more tubro snails. I was hoping to pick up more trocus snails but i can't seem to find any!!

I also added a green toadstool, only $30 for a pretty good size one of about 3 inches.

I am trying to add clean up crew as a balance to algae, i don't want to add too many at one time. Hoping to find a happy medium to algae grown and clean up crew.

I will need some extra help in the sand bed. Maybe another conch and some nerites.

IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5571.jpg

OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I did forget to update that I upgraded the protein Skimmer last week! I purchased the Octo Essence 130. It is still being broken in but i think this will be a great fit for my sump so i still have ample space to place rock and potentially macro algae.

So far so good with the tank. The filefish is giving me some trouble eating. I kept him in a breeder box because when i first released him, the 6 line was picking on him, the clowns also nipped at him (i think they thought he was flake food lol). This is the first time i saw the 6 line be aggressive. Since added him the 6 line has left him alone for the most part of what i can see. the file fish is also staring to color up more which is good! He prefers the freeze dried brine from BRS. I think because it is small enough for him to eat. I am attaching a photo of him as well. I know it is blurry but the camera wont focus on him!

Other thank that, I am running blue light all day everyday for the time being. Hoping to minimize the ugly faze as much as possible. I think in 2 weeks time i will start to introduce white light throughout the day.
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5568.jpeg

OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve found most ORA bred/captive breds are tiny. Tank looks good though! I just set up my own CADE 1200 and I’ve been lazy to take pics.
New aptasia eating file fish added! From ORA through algae barn. I was shocked how small he was!
You should post pics! I found it hard setting mine up for the first time because there weren't too may out there!

OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I did forget to update that I upgraded the protein Skimmer last week! I purchased the Octo Essence 130. It is still being broken in but i think this will be a great fit for my sump so i still have ample space to place rock and potentially macro algae.

So far so good with the tank. The filefish is giving me some trouble eating. I kept him in a breeder box because when i first released him, the 6 line was picking on him, the clowns also nipped at him (i think they thought he was flake food lol). This is the first time i saw the 6 line be aggressive. Since added him the 6 line has left him alone for the most part of what i can see. the file fish is also staring to color up more which is good! He prefers the freeze dried brine from BRS. I think because it is small enough for him to eat. I am attaching a photo of him as well. I know it is blurry but the camera wont focus on him!

Other thank that, I am running blue light all day everyday for the time being. Hoping to minimize the ugly faze as much as possible. I think in 2 weeks time i will start to introduce white light throughout the day.
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5568.jpeg
Annnnnnd just like that I woke up this morning to the filefish dead on the pump. Really not sure how he died. Maybe stress from the wrasse. He ate fine everyday, but was always extremely shy and stayed toward the top of the tank.

reeftwincities

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry to hear that. I recently lost a filefish to a pump after a tank transfer. Hard to tell if it was weak from the move or just a poor swimmer. I had rescued him once before several months back though. Lesson finally learned—better pump covers for me. Good luck!

OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry to hear that. I recently lost a filefish to a pump after a tank transfer. Hard to tell if it was weak from the move or just a poor swimmer. I had rescued him once before several months back though. Lesson finally learned—better pump covers for me. Good luck!
He was a strong swimmer when he had to be, otherwise he would just leisurely swim. I am really not sure. I think I will just have to buy bigger next time

AquaCave

Does it matter to you whether your fish are captive-bred or wild caught?

• I only buy captive bred fish.

Votes: 96 14.5%
  • It matters, but I will buy either captive-bred or wild-caught.

Votes: 463 70.2%
  • I think wild-caught fish are the better option.

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • I don’t care where the fish were bred.

Votes: 85 12.9%
Tunze