danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving up on the idea of sleep until it warms up

Either it's cold and I'm super sore and achey from being so tense from the cold - or the weight of a simple real blanket (still think fibro is a problem but Dr got sidetracked with other ish)

Or we turn the heat on and I can't breathe because it screws with my sinuses and makes me super congested.

I'll worry about trying to fix the insomnia once we're out of this weather.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks dude. Do you have a heated blanket?
No, I fall asleep alright initially, but then my mattress sucks all the warmth from my body and I wake up freezing. I feel like keeping a heated blanket on all night is probably some kind of fire hazard?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have built in timers. And don't get Hot. Just warm which is really all your body needs to not be cold.

Have you considered laying an old blanket on your mattress, then the fitted sheet over it to insulate your body from your mattress?
No, I fall asleep alright initially, but then my mattress sucks all the warmth from my body and I wake up freezing. I feel like keeping a heated blanket on all night is probably some kind of fire hazard?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have built in timers. And don't get Hot. Just warm which is really all your body needs to not be cold.

Have you considered laying an old blanket on your mattress, then the fitted sheet over it to insulate your body from your mattress?
My concern with the timers is that I fall asleep okay at first then wake up freezing later in the night and would then have to wait for it to heat back up. I mean, I guess if it works thats better than lying around shivering to death. Then there's the whole - thicker blanket with any heft to it makes my entire body hurt overnight thing (still trying to figure that out)....

I've tried a regular blanket between me and mattress but not under the fitted sheet :thinking-face:

Thinking. What if I sleep *on* the heated so I don't have the weight... Or will the purple steal all that heat for itself as well....

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with the timers is that I fall asleep okay at first then wake up freezing later in the night and would then have to wait for it to heat back up. I mean, I guess if it works thats better than lying around shivering to death. Then there's the whole - thicker blanket with any heft to it makes my entire body hurt overnight thing (still trying to figure that out)....

I've tried a regular blanket between me and mattress but not under the fitted sheet :thinking-face:

Thinking. What if I sleep *on* the heated so I don't have the weight... Or will the purple steal all that heat for itself as well....
I used a heated blanket under my fitted sheet. I set the timer to 8 hrs and the heat to med. It worked well.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I don't sleep much. My body is either awake or dead to the world. I crash out at around 2 am typically and back up at 630 or 7
I don't mind small amounts of sleep when I feel rested, unfortunately there's no rest in the parts I do get.

Sean Flanagan Fah GIF by FoilArmsandHog

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway --

Fans, lighting all ordered (so we can receive, inspect, probably send back and try again a few times, etc)

Appliances picked out and deposit paid on those.

I won a theater style popcorn maker.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway --

Fans, lighting all ordered (so we can receive, inspect, probably send back and try again a few times, etc)

Appliances picked out and deposit paid on those.

I won a theater style popcorn maker.
Now you have to build a home theater room to go with the popcorn maker lol! Enabling

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've done that actually. Last year sleeping in my brother's basement. The nice things about it is you fall asleep, and if you wake up cold, just hit the remote, turn it low and for two hours or four or whatever. I prefer to lay on them, as I don't like really any weight on me while sleeping.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done that actually. Last year sleeping in my brother's basement. The nice things about it is you fall asleep, and if you wake up cold, just hit the remote, turn it low and for two hours or four or whatever. I prefer to lay on them, as I don't like really any weight on me while sleeping.
You are just perfect for life in the sandbox. Let me guess you already did that gig.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Danieyella I know maybe not the best idea but could it help to get a better matress?
I have a really great mattress actually, one that's ideal for normal FL weather. It's a cooling mattress. I usually sleep so warm we keep a body pillow barrier up between us because I'm a radiator. This mattress is amazing for that.

Turns out, it's not practical to buy a separate mattress for what's normally a collective 2 weeks of the year cold here - this year is the longest and coldest we've dealt with in a very long time.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really great mattress actually, one that's ideal for normal FL weather. It's a cooling mattress. I usually sleep so warm we keep a body pillow barrier up between us because I'm a radiator. This mattress is amazing for that.

Turns out, it's not practical to buy a separate mattress for what's normally a collective 2 weeks of the year cold here - this year is the longest and coldest we've dealt with in a very long time.
You don't want to get one of those Minnesota mattresses to use two weeks a year?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to get one of those Minnesota mattresses to use two weeks a year?
You're right, why didn't someone suggest that.

Just pop it up in the attic in the off season/years... I can squeeze a king up those attic accesses right? :thinking-face:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never been a fan of purple. Though I do hope your sleeping problems are sorted out. Maybe in your new house things will be better? :)

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been a fan of purple. Though I do hope your sleeping problems are sorted out. Maybe in your new house things will be better? :)
Most comfortable mattress I've slept on in my many more years of life and many many mattresses. I prefer support, and not sweating in my sleep. Works perfectly for me normally. First mattress I've had that doesn't have me waking up with back cramps from fluff-prison.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back