Cadlights PLS-50 Elite II is an Excellent Nano Skimmer

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried four different nano skimmers on my IM 30L and haven’t been impressed with any of them so far. I came across mention of this PLS-50 here and checked it out. Looked good and was on sale at Modeaquarium.com for $169. It arrived today and I could tell right away this was nothing like the other nano skimmers out there.
Thick acrylic and heavy duty construction. The pump is twice as large as the pump that came on my Nuvo Skim Midsize. The skimmer body is larger and thicker. Nice big collection cup with drain. It makes a huge amount of foam.
After running a couple hours, it skimming some dark skimmate. If the pumps lasts, i’ll be very happy with this purchase.
C11F9654-3E93-435F-BA5E-0206E3AFA247.jpeg

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve tried four different nano skimmers on my IM 30L and haven’t been impressed with any of them so far. I came across mention of this PLS-50 here and checked it out. Looked good and was on sale at Modeaquarium.com for $169. It arrived today and I could tell right away this was nothing like the other nano skimmers out there.
Thick acrylic and heavy duty construction. The pump is twice as large as the pump that came on my Nuvo Skim Midsize. The skimmer body is larger and thicker. Nice big collection cup with drain. It makes a huge amount of foam.
After running a couple hours, it skimming some dark skimmate. If the pumps lasts, i’ll be very happy with this purchase.
Does it have to sit up that high? It’s only 16” tall so it looks like you have it way off the bottom.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My IM 30L is only 12” high. So that’s as far down as it goes. it does take away from the clean aesthetic but i stock and feed heavy so such is the cost.
Interesting. I have an IM30L and they are all 13” high. The skimmer is listed at 16” so it should only stick out 3”. So is it actually sitting on the bottom or do you have it floating? I was gonna get one but I’m second thinking it based on how high yours is because I don’t have the space.

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have an IM30L and they are all 13” high. The skimmer is listed at 16” so it should only stick out 3”. So is it actually sitting on the bottom or do you have it floating? I was gonna get one but I’m second thinking it based on how high yours is because I don’t have the space.
Yes, I was mistaken. 13” tall. I’m glad you pointed this stuff out because i didn’t really consider the depth as long as i met the minimum. After your post, i reconfigured the tank mount bracket one slot lower and the water level is still ideal on the skimmer body. The pump now sits about 1”+- off the chamber bottom.
If you don’t use the tank mount bracket, you can have the pump resting on the bottom to lower it further. It’s a very tight squeeze though and as i have it now, the pump hits the wall and is making an audible vibration. I’ve tried the pump in two different positions and while orienting it parallel with the back wall isn’t as loud as the other way, it’s still noticeable.
Considering how well this skimmer works compared to the other nano skimmers, i’m going to live with the noise. It works very very well in comparison.
9072C356-ADB8-4B11-B132-DF72E54C38D9.jpeg

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GK3 Have this already or are aware of it? I ordered it and the surface skimmers tonight. Will hide everything nicely. i will use my dremel to cut a notch out for the skimmer.

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your thread and went ahead and ordered one. I have a question? It didn’t charge me shipping. Did you have it shipped and if so how long before you got it? I am really excited about replacing my icecap nano with this. Thank you!

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was mistaken. 13” tall. I’m glad you pointed this stuff out because i didn’t really consider the depth as long as i met the minimum. After your post, i reconfigured the tank mount bracket one slot lower and the water level is still ideal on the skimmer body. The pump now sits about 1”+- off the chamber bottom.
If you don’t use the tank mount bracket, you can have the pump resting on the bottom to lower it further. It’s a very tight squeeze though and as i have it now, the pump hits the wall and is making an audible vibration. I’ve tried the pump in two different positions and while orienting it parallel with the back wall isn’t as loud as the other way, it’s still noticeable.
Considering how well this skimmer works compared to the other nano skimmers, i’m going to live with the noise. It works very very well in comparison.
9072C356-ADB8-4B11-B132-DF72E54C38D9.jpeg
I’m putting mine in my Cvue 50

Attachments

• 26F665A1-538C-44A8-946B-DDD4AEED6509.jpeg
    26F665A1-538C-44A8-946B-DDD4AEED6509.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met someone local in South Florida selling this colony as illuminati. Can someone confirm if these are WWC illuminati below is a picture I took of it with my iPhone.

IMG_2284.JPG.JPG

I read your thread and went ahead and ordered one. I have a question? It didn’t charge me shipping. Did you have it shipped and if so how long before you got it? I am really excited about replacing my icecap nano with this. Thank you!
I also got free shipping. I’m close to their warehouse here in Southern California so it only took 2 days to get to me by UPS ground. Depending on where you live, you should have it in 2-5 busines days. I hope you like it. I like your tank. I almost got that one but they were out of stock at the time.

cheykaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with mine as well...just installed on my waterbox 50.3 AIO and my filtration cover still fits...I just hope it quiets down after a day or so...kinds loud

Attachments

• 20210807_140844.jpg
    20210807_140844.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210807_140851.jpg
    20210807_140851.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210807_141219.jpg
    20210807_141219.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with mine as well...just installed on my waterbox 50.3 AIO and my filtration cover still fits...I just hope it quiets down after a day or so...kinds loud
Not sure how tight your chamber is, but mine is a tight fit. I turned the pump sideways to make sure it wasn’t contacting the walls at all and now it’s pretty quiet. But not silent there is a little hum from the pump.

cheykaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how tight your chamber is, but mine is a tight fit. I turned the pump sideways to make sure it wasn’t contacting the walls at all and now it’s pretty quiet. But not silent there is a little hum from the pump.
I have quite a bit of room on either side of mine ...has a vibration to it like it IS hitting something but it's not

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now I am interested in this one...I want to replace my IM Desktop Skimmer with this one... the only question is will it fit the IM Fusion 20gal? @GK3 I also like that Fusion Cover...I am going to order one of those

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wait, you haven't received your product yet? TWO Weeks later? They have a 24hrs number listed on their website too...what the heck...I sent them an email asking about some items I saw on their website regarding that same skimmer...Lets see how long it will take for them to respond...
I ordered 2 weeks ago from mode. Still no skimmer yet. I think I may have to file for reimbursement from my cc company oh well I tried.

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now I am interested in this one...I want to replace my IM Desktop Skimmer with this one... the only question is will it fit the IM Fusion 20gal? @GK3 I also like that Fusion Cover...I am going to order one of those
Im not sure it will fit in that one. my chamber is 4”x3.75” and it just barely fits.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure it will fit in that one. my chamber is 4”x3.75” and it just barely fits.
So I went and looked at the IM Fusion 20 Dimensions...and looks like it would fit...but have about 8 inches of the skimmer at the top...the slots where the skimmer would go is about 4 inches wide and 7.9inches deep.

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wait, you haven't received your product yet? TWO Weeks later? They have a 24hrs number listed on their website too...what the heck...I sent them an email asking about some items I saw on their website regarding that same skimmer...Lets see how long it will take for them to respond...
Yup still nothing. Just a ups shipping label created

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back