CADlights PLS-50 Elite II skimmer long term review

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking back I have had my CADlights PLS-50 Elite II skimmer running about 9 months on my IM 40 Nuvo AIO tank. I thought I would update my review.
I the last year has been a crazy reefing experience to say the least. I had my Hydra 52HD bite the dust and went through a not so amazing repair experience having it fixed.
After receiving it back in working order I was anxious to reinstall it and get my tank beck up and going again. In my hurry to get the Hydra 52 back operational I accidently mapped the same lighting map I had been using on my AI16HD into the Hydra 52 HD (stupid mistake) this began a series of events that have plagued me for months and months trying to get things back in balance. First, I was blasting the tank with WAY too much white, red and green light and that set off a green hair algae growth spurt overtaking the top portion of the rockwork. getting that under control was horrible and it took me a few weeks to realize the lighting error I had made. then as the GHA was beginning to recede, my nitrates and phosphates crashed to nothing thus setting off a Dino / Cyno storm that lasted for weeks and I couldn't get under control. I finally begrudgingly added a 11 watt UV to the filter chamber and it looks like I am again making headway on the Dino explosion for the last 3 weeks.
So I can now get back to reporting that the Skimmer has been just amazing throughout all of this and has skimmed out an astonishing amount of thick black skim mate out of my system most likely more organic waste than an average tank due to all the die off from Dino / Cyno and the waste from dying green hair algae . I was literally removing and cleaning my Tunze 6055 pumps every 3 days to clean out the GHA stuck in the pump inlet grids.

I did add a cover and I have Plumbed a filter cartridge housing filled with C02 absorbing pellets as a Co2 scrubber trying to raise my PH above 8.1

Throughout this whole time the skimmer has operated very well and is very consistent. I did add a thumbscrew to the intake line to be able to fine tune the bubble action in the neck of the skimmer. its mainly a set it and forget it. I love the remote jug reservoir for when I go on vacation, I cn overfeed with a mechanical dispenser and the skimmer removes the waste. It is so much easier to tune and operate than the original Ghost skimmer that came with the tank or the Tunze 9004 I had before this skimmer. The tunze was a nice skimmer but had no reserve capability with a tiny skim collection cup and it sat to low to add a remote dump line.

All in all the Cadlights PLS50 Elite II is turning out to be a great purchase and I would suggest it to a friend looking for a powerful small bodied skimmer.

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking back I have had my CADlights PLS-50 Elite II skimmer running about 9 months on my IM 40 Nuvo AIO tank. I thought I would update my review.
I the last year has been a crazy reefing experience to say the least. I had my Hydra 52HD bite the dust and went through a not so amazing repair experience having it fixed.
After receiving it back in working order I was anxious to reinstall it and get my tank beck up and going again. In my hurry to get the Hydra 52 back operational I accidently mapped the same lighting map I had been using on my AI16HD into the Hydra 52 HD (stupid mistake) this began a series of events that have plagued me for months and months trying to get things back in balance. First, I was blasting the tank with WAY too much white, red and green light and that set off a green hair algae growth spurt overtaking the top portion of the rockwork. getting that under control was horrible and it took me a few weeks to realize the lighting error I had made. then as the GHA was beginning to recede, my nitrates and phosphates crashed to nothing thus setting off a Dino / Cyno storm that lasted for weeks and I couldn't get under control. I finally begrudgingly added a 11 watt UV to the filter chamber and it looks like I am again making headway on the Dino explosion for the last 3 weeks.
So I can now get back to reporting that the Skimmer has been just amazing throughout all of this and has skimmed out an astonishing amount of thick black skim mate out of my system most likely more organic waste than an average tank due to all the die off from Dino / Cyno and the waste from dying green hair algae . I was literally removing and cleaning my Tunze 6055 pumps every 3 days to clean out the GHA stuck in the pump inlet grids.

I did add a cover and I have Plumbed a filter cartridge housing filled with C02 absorbing pellets as a Co2 scrubber trying to raise my PH above 8.1

Throughout this whole time the skimmer has operated very well and is very consistent. I did add a thumbscrew to the intake line to be able to fine tune the bubble action in the neck of the skimmer. its mainly a set it and forget it. I love the remote jug reservoir for when I go on vacation, I cn overfeed with a mechanical dispenser and the skimmer removes the waste. It is so much easier to tune and operate than the original Ghost skimmer that came with the tank or the Tunze 9004 I had before this skimmer. The tunze was a nice skimmer but had no reserve capability with a tiny skim collection cup and it sat to low to add a remote dump line.

All in all the Cadlights PLS50 Elite II is turning out to be a great purchase and I would suggest it to a friend looking for a powerful small bodied skimmer.
I bought one of these PLS 50 Elite skimmers as well. Any idea what the recommended mounting depth should be? It didn't say on the single piece of paper that came with it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back