Calcium and ALK levels - are mine ok?

ldreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the reef game for a long time, but took a break for a while and just recently got started again. This time around I’m trying to make sure I really stay on top of water parameters, so I’ve been testing regularly.

I started this time with a used tank from my dad, a Red Sea 350 and re used all the water and everything, so I’m not starting from scratch although I’ve done one water change since the tank has been up for a month or so. Currently I have a few zoa colonies and a couple of Acans and that’s about it. I only dose reef energy AB at 14ml daily.

I just recently made my first large coral order and wanted to double check my parameters before putting them in in a few days.

Anyways, onto my question, I have been using Hannah testers and tested calc and ALK about once every week. My levels are pretty consistently reading at 8.1 dkh and 440 ppm calcium. I know these fall into the recommended ranges, but am I ok just holding these steady? Do these levels look normal from a ratio perspective?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look fine, like you pointed out, stability is most important.
Testing regularly, perfect!
Using dads water is fine, but, it doesn’t contain much bacteria whereas the rockwork houses the majority.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back