Calcium Carbonate Flocculant in kalk reactor

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my forever quest of simplification I was wondering if anyone uses the flocculant method through a kalk reactor? I figure since calcium hydroxide is basic there is no change in calcium carbonate and would suspend pretty well with the kalk reactor pump.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify what you would do and what it would hopefully accomplish?

Running seawater through a calcium hydroxide reactor will strip it of magnesium by precipitating magnesium hydroxide, while boosting calcium and not doing much for alk.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify what you would do and what it would hopefully accomplish?

Running seawater through a calcium hydroxide reactor will strip it of magnesium by precipitating magnesium hydroxide, while boosting calcium and not doing much for alk.
Randy I should have stated auto top off water. My goal here is to see whether some flocculant calcium carbonate will help clear my water any further than it already is. And since it’s visual I’m not sure what kind of result I will see anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I should have stated auto top off water. My goal here is to see whether some flocculant calcium carbonate will help clear my water any further than it already is. And since it’s visual I’m not sure what kind of result I will see anyway.

Are you suggesting just calcium carbonate particles in the reactor, or calcium hydroxide plus particulate CaCO3?

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting just calcium carbonate particles in the reactor, or calcium hydroxide plus particulate CaCO3?
It would be easier if I had both in one reactor but not opposed to just a calcium carbonate reactor setup. Just thinking with inert calcium carbonate it wouldn’t matter if I added it to the kalk reactor.

So to answer your question, yes. Either setup but preferably both in one.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easier if I had both in one reactor but not opposed to just a calcium carbonate reactor setup. Just thinking with inert calcium carbonate it wouldn’t matter if I added it to the kalk reactor.

So to answer your question, yes. Either setup but preferably both in one.

Calcium carbonate will dissolve a little bit in pure water, but that’s ok.

Trying to use both in one won’t work if you are trying to deliver CaCO3 particles, but not deliver calcium hydroxide particles.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium carbonate will dissolve a little bit in pure water, but that’s ok.

Trying to use both in one won’t work if you are trying to deliver CaCO3 particles, but not deliver calcium hydroxide particles.
But it will deliver both with a basic pH right? I’ll give it a go. Worst case is I have to clean out the reactor and try again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it will deliver both with a basic pH right? I’ll give it a go. Worst case is I have to clean out the reactor and try again.

Delivering particulate calcium hydroxide is tricky and you can easily overshoot desirable dosing limits.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my forever quest of simplification I was wondering if anyone uses the flocculant method through a kalk reactor? I figure since calcium hydroxide is basic there is no change in calcium carbonate and would suspend pretty well with the kalk reactor pump.
Let’s see if I understand. You find that adding powdered calcium carbonate to your aquarium makes the water clearer. You are wondering whether you could automatically add calcium carbonate by mixing it with your top off water, which by the way is saturated with calcium hydoxide (I assume the top off water is stirred). You are asking whether there is any unforeseen chemistry in this combination.

How did I do?

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see if I understand. You find that adding powdered calcium carbonate to your aquarium makes the water clearer. You are wondering whether you could automatically add calcium carbonate by mixing it with your top off water, which by the way is saturated with calcium hydoxide (I assume the top off water is stirred). You are asking whether there is any unforeseen chemistry in this combination.

How did I do?
Yes. This. Sorry, it’s been awhile since I’ve had to write down a coherent train of thought. My kalk reactor is GEO which uses a maxijet pump that I run for 1min each day (it’s really oversized for my needs). But otherwise yes. I don’t see any issue with addition to my kalk reactor and was wondering if anyone else saw an issue. Don’t honestly know if I’ll see a difference in water clarity but as my tank is relatively young this is a good time to experiment. I mean unless someone has already done this and knows.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. This. Sorry, it’s been awhile since I’ve had to write down a coherent train of thought. Kalk reactor is GEO which uses a maxijet pump that I run for 1min each day (it’s really oversized for my needs). But otherwise yes. I don’t see any issue with addition to my kalk reactor and was wondering if anyone else saw an issue. Don’t honestly know if I’ll see a difference in water clarity but as my tank is relatively young this is a good time to experiment. I mean unless someone has already done this and knows.

I've never heard of anyone doing it, and I predict complications (potency variability of the kalk) if you try to have both types of particles present at the same time.

It's not a chemical interference, except a very small amount of potency increase from calcium carbonate dissolving.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really the question. Will there be interference? Since calcium carbonate is a suspended solid I was under the impression it should do little to change the potency on the kalk solution.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up shelving this idea for a bit. Was looking at my water clarity today and not really sure I’m going to get anything out of this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really the question. Will there be interference? Since calcium carbonate is a suspended solid I was under the impression it should do little to change the potency on the kalk solution.

That part is correct, but I fail to see how you can get the reactor to deliver one suspended particle (calcium carbonate) and not the other suspended particle (undissolved calcium hydroxide). It is the amount of calcium hydroxide particles delivered that may hugely boost alk and pH, and may vary quite substantially over time.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That part is correct, but I fail to see how you can get the reactor to deliver one suspended particle (calcium carbonate) and not the other suspended particle (undissolved calcium hydroxide). It is the amount of calcium hydroxide particles delivered that may hugely boost alk and pH, and may vary quite substantially over time.
Does calcium carbonate actually have an effect on water clarity? Are calcium carbonate particles hydrophobic, which is more likely to get skimmed out?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does calcium carbonate actually have an effect on water clarity? Are calcium carbonate particles hydrophobic, which is more likely to get skimmed out?

They will bind organics and become more hydrophobic. That said, I do not know if they mostly settle out or are removed by skimming or other means.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat doubtful on this but was thinking why not. Read through how some people did it (really it seems to be the same person from multiple sites) and figured why not as it’s an inert substance.

In my lab days we would create calcium carbonate particles with additional plasmid DNA to aid in introduction into cells. Being old calcium carbonate I’m unsure of the efficacy in organic compound binding.

As Randy pointed out any suspended calcium carbonate particles may settle and/or be mostly mixed in with the calcium hydroxide and not be evenly dosed.

Back