Calcium Checker question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting a reading of 500+ calcium using Tropic Marin Pro, recently switched from Reef Crystals that would give me a reading of 430 to 450. A forum member suggested I check my salinity but its fine at 1.025 using a calibrated refractometer.

Are there any troubleshooting methods to see if the reading is false or should I just order the calibration fluid online and if its off how do I calibrate it?

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting a reading of 500+ calcium using Tropic Marin Pro, recently switched from Reef Crystals that would give me a reading of 430 to 450. A forum member suggested I check my salinity but its fine at 1.025 using a calibrated refractometer.

Are there any troubleshooting methods to see if the reading is false or should I just order the calibration fluid online and if its off how do I calibrate it?

It is possible that Tropic Marin Pro has an increased amount of calcium in their salt mix compared to Reef Crystals. You also have to factor in the accuracy statement of the calcium Checker which is Accuracy @ 25°C/77°F ±6% of reading. So when you get a reading of 400ppm Ca on the HI758u your margin of error for accuracy is 6% of 400ppm in either direction.

Let us know if this helps:

Calcium Checker Troubleshooting Tips

1. Never rinse your cuvettes with tap water or saltwater
  2. Use pure vapor distilled water from your local pharmacy at C1 phase. RODI water from home filtration units may not be suitable for this test calcium can easily permeate through your membranes.
  3. Clean your cuvettes with distilled or deionized water absent of Calcium that is going to be used for C1 phase dilution.
  4. Measure out 9 ml of distilled or deionized water for C1 phases
  5. Make sure no excess aquarium sample saltwater is on the tip of the pipette. Only administer the saltwater that is sucked into the pipette tip.
If you still have questions please email [email protected] for additional support. Thank you for being a valued Hanna customer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back