Calcium Dispenser 5074

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Typically a bit less than 1 tsp of kalk can be dissolved by 1 gallon of water, you want have as high of losses from precipitation due to atmospheric CO2, I usually go with 2 tbsp for my 7 gallon reservoir.

OP
Duberz

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My reservoi is 5gal. I have my 5074 hooked up to it. I still can’t figure out how much kalk I need to put in the 5074. I know my correct ratio for when I was adding to my 5gal reservoir but the 5074 has me stumped. Too much guess work.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Generally speaking 1 gallon of RO water will dissolve a little less than 1 teaspoon of kalk. When I have used kalk, I add 2 tablespoons for my 7 gallon reservoir and repeat this everytime I refill the reservoir. I would add 4 teaspoons, but only after you are sure the Osmolator is installed properly, the water level is correct and have run everything to be sure there is no risk of a siphon or other causes of overdose. You can of course add less, adding much more will tend to just lead to premature clogging of the lines and check valve. I would not add more than 5 teaspoons.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Nilsen reactors don't work the same way as a still kalkwasser reservoir. In a still reservoir one can adjust the strength of the solution by dissolving the desired amount of calcium hydroxide. Reactors tend to deliver a more full strength solution as every time the Osmolator pump injects water through the angled inlet into the reactor it mixes the powder in the bottom. I have the 5074 and it works well, but I didn't use it until my tank's demand required full strength kalkwasser.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That is true to some extent, mostly in the reactor you don't have the amount losses to precipitation from reaction to atmospheric CO2 in an open container. This is such a simple reactor though, in stronger reactors that have there own mixing pump, you can mix a more concentrated slurry for example, but in this case, too much tends to clog the hoses, nipples, and check valve, so I would not mix it too strong.

NY