Calcium level is only 360ppm. Should I dose all Cal + Mg + Alk ?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I'm a lazy boy and yesterday I tested Ca for the first time of my one year old tank. I only had the luxurious API kit and it gave me a very-clear-result of 360ppm, but I would say it kinda looked like 380 as well. But never mind, you can say it's 300ppm. So apparently Ca is low, no wonder my corals are suffering from slow growth. That leads me to thinking Mg and Alk are low as well, aren't they?

So I ordered the Salifert kits to save my life and they're coming tomorrow. But in the mean time, what kind of dosing should I buy? Just Ca or Mg and Alk as well? Should I buy those Reef Code bottles or should I dose separately?

Tank: mix reef
NO3: 5ppm
PO4: 0.1
Ca: 300 - 380ppm

Bonus picture of my Award-winning Gorilla Crab below:

20201019_141536.jpg

20201021_130732.jpg

Last edited:

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend All for reef. Every element including Alk Mag Cal are in the bottle without having to mix anything plus you get additional trace elements. Very very easy! Highly recommend!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what you need to do is repeat tests for a few days so you get a good idea what your tank's daily consumption is. If it is fairly low, then routine water changes may be good enough without dosing anything. Once corals grow enough to consume more than your water changes can keep up with, then it will be a good idea to begin a dosing program.

There are a lot of good options for dosing, but personally I like to use ESV B-Ionic 2-part because it covers Alk, Cal, Mag as well as a lot of minor/trace elements that are helpful. All-in-one dosing is okay, but I like a little more control over individual elements.

Last edited:

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for Reef is for maintenance dosing. You should consider a two part solution to address when levels are out of alignment outside of water changes.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what you need to do is repeat tests for a few days so you get a good idea what your tank's daily consumption is. If it is fairly low, then routine water changes may be good enough without dosing anything. Once corals grow enough to consume more than your water changes can keep up with, then it will be a good idea to begin a dosing program.
IMO - this is the best advice you can get. it is also that way that you maybe need around 15 - 25 test round in order to get used of the methods. One tip about the alkalinity test. Some people read the test directly after the first colour change and some when the sample starts to turn red. Chose one way of reading and stay there. The different ways of reading reflect different pH as the endpoint and no one knows which is right or wrong for saltwater. But if you chose one way - you can always following the trends. Personally - I read when I get the first clear colour change that´s stabile. It reflect a endpoint pH between 4.3 and 4.35 for salifert IME.

Sincerely Lasse

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back