Calcium Reactor and co2 scrubber - do they cancel each other out?

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I just recently implemented a calcium reactor and in an effort to battle low ph I was thinking of implementing a co2 scrubber, however, when I got to thinking the increase in ph and potential increase of alk/ca consumption will cause me to up the amount of effluent or lower the ph in the reactor therefore potentially cancelling out the effects of the co2 scrubber. Am I correct in thinking that the two will cancel each other out? Or are the effects of the co2 scrubber and ph raise greater than the changes needed on the calcium reactor? Does anyone have experiences with calcium reactors and co2 scrubbers? Thanks in advance!

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the syptoms that your tank inhabitants are showing. If none, you should wonder if you are chasing a solution to a problem that does not exhist. IMO, it's better to chase stability than numbers.

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No symptoms, more just noticed the lower ph than usual which is to be expected with the calcium reactor. (Nothing concerning sitting at 7.9 during the day so not even all that low) and just got to thinking about co2 scrubbers and about the effects one would have on the other. It’s more grown into a curiosity question for myself.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae scrubber will only have a positive effect when the light is on. Might even want to consider feeding the effluent into it. When the light is off though, it will have no effect.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current tank ph?
Why not try an outside line first. I had a noticeable bump in my ph from simply inserting an airline tube into my silencer the other end of the 20’ tube out a window. Doesnt have to be permanent simply test the effects of limiting co2 into your skimmer on your tank.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misread that. Everyone i know that used those said they are just a waste of money. Media exhausts really fast and it becomes a money pit.

You should ask Mike, TheGrun. He has a very different story, of growth being overwhelming to the point of being a nuisance.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think anyone’s actually addressed the original question. Although I agree that a CO2 scrubber is mostly pointless, I see no conflict between a higher system pH and the function of a CaRx. The idea is that pH is reduced inside the chamber to dissolve media but that only minimal CO2 escapes. I suppose a higher system pH will mean a bit more CO2 inside the reactor to get to target, but largely negligible.

PNWReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread because I plan on doing this. I don't think they will cancel eachother out, but rather compliment one another. Increased stability from the CaRx,and then stable ph from the scrubber. I think this combination with a mean skimmer and some good feeding habits, could be the answer to the growth we all dream about.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using a Co2 scrubber with a Calcium Reactor and have noticed that with the higher PH comes more demand for Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium meaning more growth. I don't think they cancel each other out but work together well.

Jay OR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread because I plan on doing this. I don't think they will cancel eachother out, but rather compliment one another. Increased stability from the CaRx,and then stable ph from the scrubber. I think this combination with a mean skimmer and some good feeding habits, could be the answer to the growth we all dream about.
Whats the status here? Im thinking of implementing a co2 scrubber myself

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think they will cancel each other out. My 120 runs 7.9-8.1 same as before I setup my carx.
I ran a c02 scrubber on my nano and it did keep ph at 8.1 consistently but I went through alot of media and that was on a 25 gal.
If you setup your carx correctly it will have very little effect on lowering ph imo.

Jay OR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we've been taught to not chase pH but I can't help wondering. BRS, I believe, says a rise in pH will double growth. Mine has always been between 7.7 and 7.98 according to my Apex. I have the spare canisters to test. Just need the media

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your CaRx is tuned well, then it will not move your tank pH nearly at all. Some methods of running do waste co2 and can lower tank pH - such as using method like a pH monitor with probe and "dumping" in co2. A tuned reactor set to run 24x7 with a dKh around 25 will not usually have extra co2 leaving the chamber.

As most have said, pH issues are usually with the air in your home. Outside air skimmer intakes, leaving the windows open, etc. are everybody's best bit. The weather is nice now and most areas do not have pollen yet, so let your home air out for a few afternoons when the temperature is high.

Airing out your home and tuning your CaRx well is a good idea.

PNWReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we've been taught to not chase pH but I can't help wondering. BRS, I believe, says a rise in pH will double growth. Mine has always been between 7.7 and 7.98 according to my Apex. I have the spare canisters to test. Just need the media

I haven't done it myself yet, but many studies are showing that increased pH does increase growth. Its not about "chasing" pH, as 7.7-7.9 is not going to hurt anything, but 8.2-8.4 may be worth giving a try in an sps dominant tank. This is regardless of your CaAlkMg source.

As far as the media goes, you want to tie it into your skimmer. Use the air intake on the skimmers pump and route some plumbing from the skimmer back to your scrubber media. You will use WAY LESS media running it this way.

I suspect we will start seeing skimmer/co2 scrubber equipment. Instead of having to rig it up like this, the single piece of equipment will handle both nutrient export and increased pH. I may have just given away my million dollar idea, but I would love to see this option in the market!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media has always been cost prohibitive to run a co2 scrubber long term on any decent sized tank. You can bet that this would be done if it was a more feasible business calculation.

PNWReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be true, but in a recirculating environment the cost gets reasonable. Plus, you and I both happen to live just down the street from one of the biggest manufacturers in the country.

I think it's worth understanding the biochemistry and possible options for engineering a better system. If something like this ended up becoming the standard for SPS tanks, the economics might just work itself out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are in Colorado, your windows should be open right now with the attic fan running, or at least a box fan in a window, moving in 100% fresh air. Your pH will be up significantly in the morning. I don't measure anymore, but there are enough good days year-round in Colorado to let in fresh air... we have it so lucky with warm afternoons in the winter and cool morning in the summer with very little allergens compared to most of the rest of the country.

PNWReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. Haven't lived many places but this Colorado sunshine doesn't disappoint. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back