Calcium Reactor and Sulfur Denitrator Combo

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large two chamber calcium reactor. Could I add a media holder in between the chambers with sulfur as a denitrator or would there still be oxygen present?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large two chamber calcium reactor. Could I add a media holder in between the chambers with sulfur as a denitrator or would there still be oxygen present?

The reactor doesn't remove O2, so the issue is the relative flows needed.

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem would be that the flow could not be controlled independently without playing with the ph? In a Sulfur denitrator is it primarially the breakdown of organics that depletes the oxygen levels or is it the oxidizing of the sulfur? What if there was a bypass loop around the denitrator. To aid in controlling flow? What if I added bio pellets in the media chamber to help deplete oxygen if the calcium reactor pushed too much flow? Could I reduce the sulfur media if the flow is too slow so that H2S is not produced?

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
This sounds all very complex and prone to unexpected problems. It might work, but I predict it will not become the next must have reef device. lol
Yes if I have to mess with flow around it it would be easier to run another dosing pump.

I will try with the bio pellets and sulfur in between the reactor chambers and see how that goes. No matter the oxygen levels we should see nitrate reduction from aerobic or anaerobic break down of the bio pellets or anaerobic oxidation on the sulfur right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back