Calcium Reactor and Triton Core 7 hybrid?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally interesting question!

on our 750 gal system, we've gone 3a +3b (mixed total) of core7 -- from 26ml per day to 110ml per day, over a period of 14 months :eek: that happened as our 100 little acro nubs started growing.

on top of that, we dose BRS soda ash, mixed to instructions, to make up for the alk shortfall, as much as 240 ml per day... on top of triton. our alk is now in the high sevens, up from the mid sixes (whew), after supplementing with red sea foundarion b (alk), and now brs soda ash (alk). my brother and i have discussed using a calcium reactor too, in lieu of soda ash, but that would bring all the elements up... and kinda defeat the purpose of using core7 at all lol

anyhow, the point is, whether you use an alk supplementation hybrid like ours, our a calcium reactor, is the big question of how much triton to dose, vs. how much other hybrid to dose.

in our case, instead of using alk as the reference to the other bottles (as triton recommends), we defaulted to using calcium as our reference for Mg, and alk 3a/3b. so now our Ca # drives our triton alk dosage, and to a lesser extent Mg (it's always so bloody high). using Ca as the reference dose # won't work with a calcium reactor...

so @c.b.t. o_O;Cat:D any guidance as to the triton dosage, when using an alk supplementation like ours currently, or when combo'ing with a calcium reactor? :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

haha, same question as @DesertReefBoy lols

p.s. we saw BRS will be icp'ing the different reactor media soon
pps. cheato version

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm considering starting a new hybrid Triton / CA Reactor tank but still don't quite understand how this can work. If the CA reactor is maintaining Cal and Alk then why would you dose Core 7 parts 2, 3 and 4 at all? Seems like there needs to be a different supplement that is just trace elements and fuge supplements to be used with a CA reactor. If you do some sort of hybrid by dosing part of the Alk / Cal with Triton and the rest with CA reactor now you are missing the trace elements contained in Core 7 parts 2, 3 and 4 that were balanced to be dosed at full strength. Seems like it'd be easier to use a CA reactor with another trace only supplement along with some iron and iodine for the fuge. I also envision using Core 7 in disproportionate amounts which means you'll be buying a whole new set of Triton elements when you only need Core 7 part 1 for example. Am I missing something?

With my 165g maturing I'm dosing 80+ ml and counting of core 7 daily. That gets me just 4 months with the large jugs which just isn't cost effective for large SPS reefs. Has Triton considered a new formula that is balanced to be used with a CA reactor by chance?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm considering starting a new hybrid Triton / CA Reactor tank but still don't quite understand how this can work. If the CA reactor is maintaining Cal and Alk then why would you dose Core 7 parts 2, 3 and 4 at all? Seems like there needs to be a different supplement that is just trace elements and fuge supplements to be used with a CA reactor. If you do some sort of hybrid by dosing part of the Alk / Cal with Triton and the rest with CA reactor now you are missing the trace elements contained in Core 7 parts 2, 3 and 4 that were balanced to be dosed at full strength. Seems like it'd be easier to use a CA reactor with another trace only supplement along with some iron and iodine for the fuge. I also envision using Core 7 in disproportionate amounts which means you'll be buying a whole new set of Triton elements when you only need Core 7 part 1 for example. Am I missing something?

With my 165g maturing I'm dosing 80+ ml and counting of core 7 daily. That gets me just 4 months with the large jugs which just isn't cost effective for large SPS reefs. Has Triton considered a new formula that is balanced to be used with a CA reactor by chance?
Not sure Triton folks will answer, but I will share my thoughts fwiw (what you paid). Multiple supplementation schemes are too complicated to generalize. In other words, you’d need your own custom formulation based on your tank’s ion consumption, how much of each ion the reactor was putting out based on the media in the reactor, settings, etc., etc., ad nauseum. If you committed to regular water changes it would work fine ;)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure Triton folks will answer, but I will share my thoughts fwiw (what you paid). Multiple supplementation schemes are too complicated to generalize. In other words, you’d need your own custom formulation based on your tank’s ion consumption, how much of each ion the reactor was putting out based on the media in the reactor, settings, etc., etc., ad nauseum. If you committed to regular water changes it would work fine ;)

Makes sense but I'm sure there's a trace solution out there that would be a much closer starting point for folks than the Core 7 supplements designed for use without a reactor (that is, some of the traces are contained in the alk and cal solution) or dosing each element individually. In fact, I just visited Garrett's Acropolis this weekend and he runs a no water change system with a calcium reactor. I'll have to ask him how he supplements trace elements next time. I'm pretty set on the no water change train :).

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense but I'm sure there's a trace solution out there that would be a much closer starting point for folks than the Core 7 supplements designed for use without a reactor (that is, some of the traces are contained in the alk and cal solution) or dosing each element individually. In fact, I just visited Garrett's Acropolis this weekend and he runs a no water change system with a calcium reactor. I'll have to ask him how he supplements trace elements next time. I'm pretty set on the no water change train :).
Now that’s a different story! I’m sure some folks have this mostly ironed out (not a pun!).

I’m am traveling down the same road myself, but I’m resigned to periodic water changes. But something like once every two months. I want to go calcium reactor and supplements with less frequent water changes for cost reasons, I am going from 75 gallon system to two with a total of around 800.

My backup is to go full DSR and skip the calcium reactors for a while. But I’m sure that’s more costly in the long run. If you find a good way to dramatically reduce water changes with a calcium reactor for alk/Ca, please let me know! Not sure Triton is the way to go with this approach. No dig on Triton at all, but they are trying to make money so I’m sure they want you on the full Triton scheme of choice.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s a different story! I’m sure some folks have this mostly ironed out (not a pun!).

I’m am traveling down the same road myself, but I’m resigned to periodic water changes. But something like once every two months. I want to go calcium reactor and supplements with less frequent water changes for cost reasons, I am going from 75 gallon system to two with a total of around 800.

My backup is to go full DSR and skip the calcium reactors for a while. But I’m sure that’s more costly in the long run. If you find a good way to dramatically reduce water changes with a calcium reactor for alk/Ca, please let me know! Not sure Triton is the way to go with this approach. No dig on Triton at all, but they are trying to make money so I’m sure they want you on the full Triton scheme of choice.

Whoa, that's a big upgrade! Yeah, I love Triton but just struggling with how to make it practical with a large sps tank in the long run. I'll certainly report back if I find a better solution but with 800 gallons to manage I'm sure you'll be pressed to find a solution before me. Good luck with the new tanks!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMO I was going to type another response here, but I think we should start a thread on this elsewhere so as to not clog up Tritons forum with discussion of ways to avoid using their products. Check out the SPS forum, where I think most of the calcium reactor and few water change folks tend to hangout.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMO I was going to type another response here, but I think we should start a thread on this elsewhere so as to not clog up Tritons forum with discussion of ways to avoid using their products. Check out the SPS forum, where I think most of the calcium reactor and few water change folks tend to hangout.

Agreed. Only discussed here because Triton claims their system compliments a CA reactor well but I've yet to see a clear explanation to the questions I asked above. If Triton can answer these questions I'd love to explore a hybrid system further.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Only discussed here because Triton claims their system compliments a CA reactor well but I've yet to see a clear explanation to the questions I asked above. If Triton can answer these questions I'd love to explore a hybrid system further.
I haven’t seen them mention this in a few years. Have you seen them discussing it anywhere? I’d love to hear how others are doing this with Triton. Im guessing they found it to be harder to manage than just dosing full Triton, but again would be really ineterested in their feedback. I guess this thread hasn’t attracted their attention.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen them mention this in a few years. Have you seen them discussing it anywhere? I’d love to hear how others are doing this with Triton. Im guessing they found it to be harder to manage than just dosing full Triton, but again would be really ineterested in their feedback. I guess this thread hasn’t attracted their attention.

Yup. Check out post 18 in this thread from Triton in Nov 18.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Check out post 18 in this thread from Triton in Nov 18.
I remembered I’d even read that now that you reminded me....

He didn’t provide any input besides use good media. I guess that means just dose full Triton at a reduced rate and make up Alk/Ca shortfall with CaRx?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just came across Aqua Forest's version of Triton solutions and interestingly their recommendation is exactly in line with what I've been saying about mixing Triton with a CA reactor. Sorry but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the CA reactor will already be providing much of what Triton is and creates an unbalanced approach when mixing the two. Aqua Forest says this directly and has an alternate product for trace elements to use with a CA reactor.

upload_2019-4-19_21-32-45.png

upload_2019-4-19_21-34-9.png

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just came across Aqua Forest's version of Triton solutions and interestingly their recommendation is exactly in line with what I've been saying about mixing Triton with a CA reactor. Sorry but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the CA reactor will already be providing much of what Triton is and creates an unbalanced approach when mixing the two. Aqua Forest says this directly and has an alternate product for trace elements to use with a CA reactor.

upload_2019-4-19_21-32-45.png

upload_2019-4-19_21-34-9.png
Well much like u I will be spending a ton on Core 7 so
1 I bought the big containers
2 I started dosing kalk one fully saturated gallon a day which ya knocked me down to 22ml a day of core 7 on around 160 gallons

I’m ok with not fully following the triton method if it means I’m a save some coin and my corals see no I’ll effects which with switching to kalk I have not seen with the boosted ph I can see weekly growth on my frags

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely if for example you dosed half the demand with a CaRx then you would also only be dosing !/2 the macro nutrients, the second half your dosing with Triton (other brands are available o_O) will dose the other half of the macro nutrients. I can't see how it would be overdosing them

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely if for example you dosed half the demand with a CaRx then you would also only be dosing !/2 the macro nutrients, the second half your dosing with Triton (other brands are available o_O) will dose the other half of the macro nutrients. I can't see how it would be overdosing them

But then wouldn't your minor trace elements get out of balance along with insufficient iron, iodine etc. for fuge since you are only dosing half strength?

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t be overdosing iron or iodine, you would be under-dosing if anything. You can always add iron and iodine if required. I already need to add them despite being full Triton. You would just follow the ICP and maintain balance.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I'm more concerned about the minor element trace levels from under dosing but going to give it a go on a new tank I'm building with a CA reactor so we'll see.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would balance any required via the ICP recommendations in my view.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would balance any required via the ICP recommendations in my view.

Yes but Triton doesn't offer a complete minor trace element solution only like Aqua Forest has for use with CA reactors. Buying and dosing each element individually from Triton to make up for the difference per ICP seems like an expensive and time consuming proposition.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back