Calcium Reactor and Triton Core 7 hybrid?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering on views on adding a calcium reactor to a Triton system. I currently use Core 7 and 100% Triton Method, and love the results.

However, my Core 7 usage is going up nearly by the day! A good thing, but a double edged sword in that it isn't the cheapest of additives. I am also shortly moving to a larger 900ltr tank (350 at the moment) so that will exacerbate the cost even more long term.

I was thinking of adding a calcium reactor for the main part of my dosing and using the Core 7 as a top up and fine tuning. That said I have never used a calcium reactor, but it should decrease the overall cost long term, whilst still keeping semi Triton.

Would it be better to just run the reactor and ICP to add the missing elements?

Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, my Core 7 usage is going up nearly by the day!

Why is the usage going up by the day? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way the Triton system works. I had thought that you dosed based on the results of ICP testing. Why would that change daily?

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kH is slowly falling as the corals grow. I increase the 3a/b to keep up with the Kh demand and also increase the 1/2 since its dosed in balance with the 3a/b. The ICP side is more for all the other elements in the water.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought this same question before as well. I have a 90 gallon and am starting to slowly add more SPS to my tank. I run full triton core7 and plan on cramming my tank full of SPS over the next year.

I thought about buying a Ca reactor during Black Friday sales and just sending in ICP tests every few months. I have also thought about setting the Ca reactor up to keep my alk at 6 dkh and dosing core7 to make up the rest but that is a lot of equipment on a tank. I’m definitely keeping the refugium and am curious to see how many trace elements are put back in the tank with a Ca reactor alone.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I thought the point of using the Triton system was to NOT have to use Ca reactors and the like....
That is true. The problem is when you have a fully stocked SPS tank the amount of core 7 you have to dose becomes quite expensive. Especially for larger systems.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I thought the point of using the Triton system was to NOT have to use Ca reactors and the like....
The Triton system is not so much about calcium, or alkalinity. It's more about replacing other elements in the salt water mix which become depleted overtime. Therefore requiring less water changes to replace them. And also if there is too much of something then a water change might be recommended.

So the Triton system is not replacement for dosing calcium or alkalinity.

Nevermind... I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Hides in the corner

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton system is not so much about calcium, or alkalinity. It's more about replacing other elements in the salt water mix which become depleted overtime. Therefore requiring less water changes to replace them. And also if there is too much of something then a water change might be recommended.

So the Triton system is not replacement for dosing calcium or alkalinity.

Nevermind... I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Hides in the corner
Well if core7 isn’t designed for keeping alk Ca and mg stable then I’m doing something wrong lol

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if core7 isn’t designed for keeping alk Ca and mg stable then I’m doing something wrong lol
Yeah I really shouldn't have commented there being that I am mostly ignorant about the system. I thought it was more or less for the other elements in the water. But now I realize that part of the system is also the big three. I suppose also, what I have seen mentioned in most cases are from people who are using their own two-part. And then Triton for the rest.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton method is just like any other 3 part system in which the more your corals grow, the consumption of the alk, cal and mag are going to go up no matter what. The ICP testing is to make sure the Triton 4 part system is keeping up with sea level amounts of trace elements and no bad heavy metals are getting out of whack. Say you start with small frags and your dose was 5mls a day to keep up, well say they double in size over 6 months, your dose will now most likely be around 10ml a day to keep up.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for large systems Triton can be continued with no issues with a calcium reactor. They have tested some media that they suggest to be the best/cleaniest.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for large systems Triton can be continued with no issues with a calcium reactor. They have tested some media that they suggest to be the best/cleaniest.
What media do they recommend?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would the trace element levels get out of line though? Triton is a balanced formula which seems like it would become unbalanced and require additional trace dosing if you add a ca reactor, no?

I've gone from 5 ml per day to 35 ml per day and counting with everything staying perfectly in line. I can't imagine if I cut the dose and added a ca reactor the same stability across all parameters would be maintained. But please explain further how this might work. Thanks

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the trace element levels get out of line though? Triton is a balanced formula which seems like it would become unbalanced and require additional trace dosing if you add a ca reactor, no?

I've gone from 5 ml per day to 35 ml per day and counting with everything staying perfectly in line. I can't imagine if I cut the dose and added a ca reactor the same stability across all parameters would be maintained. But please explain further how this might work. Thanks

I can’t say for myself as I’m still doing core7 but from some forum research ive found that the ICP testing of tanks with reactors only, have still been well within natural levels with only minor additions of certain trace elements.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say for myself as I’m still doing core7 but from some forum research ive found that the ICP testing of tanks with reactors only, have still been well within natural levels with only minor additions of certain trace elements.

Interesting. But at a minimum I'd say it's safe to assume dosing for elements that support the large fuge would not be sufficient and require supplemental dosing with a ca. Even with full strength core 7 I have to dose iodine and manganese weekly. And a little iron too.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. But at a minimum I'd say it's safe to assume dosing for elements that support the large fuge would not be sufficient and require supplemental dosing with a ca. Even with full strength core 7 I have to dose iodine and manganese weekly. And a little iron too.
That would be my assumption as well.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're all on the right track. Core7 can be used with a cal reactor, the two systems compliment each other very well. Be sure to use a high quality media so the advantages of triton's purity are not wasted.

What would you recommend we set the Ca reactor to dkh wise? Would you recommend setting it to say 4 dkh and make up the rest with core 7?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back