Calcium Reactor or Dosing and Skimmer recommendations?

JB33t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 25g and not sure if I go with a calcium reactor or just dosing. Any suggestions, ive never had a calcium reactor i plan on water changes every other weekend of about 15% (total water Volume of system is 35g) as well as im not sure on what skimmer to do this is my first nano tank in many years, also going to be my first full sps tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most people who use calcium reactors do so because their demand becomes so high that it isn't practical to dose 2 part. But as already stated for a small tank I wouldn't even consider a calcium reactor.

As for the skimmer I never used them but I've heard really good things about Tunze skimmers that are appropriate for a tank that size. I prefer reef octopus but I'm not sure if they make one small enough for a 25g tank.

OP
OP
JB33t

JB33t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got
I believe most people who use calcium reactors do so because their demand becomes so high that it isn't practical to dose 2 part. But as already stated for a small tank I wouldn't even consider a calcium reactor.

As for the skimmer I never used them but I've heard really good things about Tunze skimmers that are appropriate for a tank that size. I prefer reef octopus but I'm not sure if they make one small enough for a 25g tank.
Got it thank you very much I will look into it

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a small tank, 2 part dosing is more than fine. In fact, with such a small tank and regular water changes, I wouldn‘t bother to even use a protein skimmer. Probably not the answer you’re looking for as part of the fun of the hobby is all the equipment (toys) we add to our tanks. :)

OP
OP
JB33t

JB33t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a small tank, 2 part dosing is more than fine. In fact, with such a small tank and regular water changes, I wouldn‘t bother to even use a protein skimmer. Probably not the answer you’re looking for as part of the fun of the hobby is all the equipment (toys) we add to our tanks. :)
Haha yeah I definitely thought of that, just nice to have I’ll definitely probably be going with the tunze, by the way love your thread saw it a few weeks ago and I’m redesigning my stand now because of you!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah I definitely thought of that, just nice to have I’ll definitely probably be going with the tunze, by the way love your thread saw it a few weeks ago and I’m redesigning my stand now because of you!
Thank you for the kind words. Just for reference, I have a full calcium reactor set up on standby for my 57 gallon. However, I’m pretty certain that my tank will be more than fine with 2 part dosing for the foreseeable future.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For such a small tank reactors will drive you batty. Small tanks are so erratic in terms of stability. Reactors are not fun to tune all the time and you need very consistent alk and calcium ratios.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a carx on my 120.
I dose esv 2 part on my 45 frag tank.
On my old nano, 25 gal, I dosed 2 part for 3 years.
I run all Tunze equipment on both current tanks.
I ran a tunze 9001 dc on my 25 and for my system it was to small.
It now sits in the closet, lol.
I ran a coral box 300 on the nano and it was perfect size for my setup.
It sits in the closet now too.
20181101_183436.jpg

OP
OP
JB33t

JB33t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a carx on my 120.
I dose esv 2 part on my 45 frag tank.
On my old nano, 25 gal, I dosed 2 part for 3 years.
I run all Tunze equipment on both current tanks.
I ran a tunze 9001 dc on my 25 and for my system it was to small.
It now sits in the closet, lol.
I ran a coral box 300 on the nano and it was perfect size for my setup.
It sits in the closet now too.
20181101_183436.jpg
Hm interesting I’m liking the Tunze 9004 skimmer, the coral box 300 seems like it might be slightly too big but if I don’t like the Tunze then I’ll have that on my list, is that a Tunze return?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm interesting I’m liking the Tunze 9004 skimmer, the coral box 300 seems like it might be slightly too big but if I don’t like the Tunze then I’ll have that on my list, is that a Tunze return?
Yes. My nano was an 18" cube tank.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back