Calcium Reactors- Who has one and what has it done for your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have the vertex RXC 6D and absolutely have and do love it. I had many issues with dialing in at first but it has been a value in maintaining my alk and CA balance and PH and better coral growth and overall water quality. Media has been hard at times to find but lasts a few months.
Its not essential but when you have an abundance of coral using alk and calcium, it sure beats manual dosing.

If you are using a CA reactor, what type are you using, how is it working for you and what has it done for your tank and coral?

Feel free to post a pic of your setup

VertexRXb.jpg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reef Octopus CR 5000D Cause its cheaper and reliable.
Masterflex pump keeps the flow constant, but also hooked up to VDM so I can bump up the flow during light cycle to keep KH from dropping more then .5 in system.
Blacked out with vinyl, keeps any unwanted algae from growing inside. With an opening to allow to see levels.

850.JPG

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from two part to a carx last year. So far it’s been a great move. As two part prices have increased so much over the last few years it made sense. Plus not being able to see well enough to measure out and keep track of what was what i figured I needed something simpler. Dialing it in was not manageable for me so I had to add a carbon doser and it’s been solid. A few bucks worth of co2 and aragonite a month and the simplicity made it a no brainier. Wish I did it sooner

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I switched from two part to a carx last year. So far it’s been a great move. As two part prices have increased so much over the last few years it made sense. Plus not being able to see well enough to measure out and keep track of what was what i figured I needed something simpler. Dialing it in was not manageable for me so I had to add a carbon doser and it’s been solid. A few bucks worth of co2 and aragonite a month and the simplicity made it a no brainier. Wish I did it sooner
Totally agree on the benefits and costs. I have the ticking carbon doder. It makes dialing simple but the noise. There is a new and quiet one but well over $400

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vertex RXC 6D and absolutely have and do love it.
This is what I love about your questions Vetteguy. You ask then you start off with your own responce to the question as opposed to asking daily and not offering any input of your own.
Good job ;)
Sorry I don't run a cal reactor. I won a tunze here last year but I haven't been able to justify the expense needed set it up, regulator, tank etc

Last edited:

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i don't have one but i would like to make the switch as keeping up with ALK consumption is actually a nightmare in my little 40B.. i cannot choose between carx or kalk. PH/CA isn't much of a concern. mainly ALK.

all of the mechanisms/parts make me not want to transition over, but it does seem that once its dialed in you're good to go for a while.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is what I love about your questions Vetteguy. You ask then you start off with your own responce to the question as opposed to asking daily and not offering any input or your own.
Good job ;)
Sorry I don't run a cal reactor. I won a tunze here last year but I haven't been able to justify the expense needed set it up, regulator, tank etc
Hang on to the unit. Someday you may be glad you have it

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Aquamax T-1 Carx with Kamoer Pump

Was intimidating at first. I never dose nothing anymore but nutrients :p saves me a lot of dosing
image.jpg

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aquamax T-1 Carx with Kamoer Pump

Was intimidating at first. I never dose nothing anymore but nutrients :p saves me a lot of dosing
image.jpg
Its funny- I was last winter at a trade show and saw this unit and investigated it further and was impressed with a small unit- its capabilities.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them on medium to large size tanks.
Once dialed in they are pretty much set and forget and provide many minor elements to go along with the Ca and Alk.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Tunze 3171 for several years. On my 120 and current 80+30.
Great and efficient little unit.
I now run a modified Skimz media reactor. I had it laying around and never used it so I modified it. It holds quite a bit more media than the 3171.
I run bones but when I started the 3171 on my 120 I used Tunze manmade media. It only gives alk and ca but I dose trace for mag and others.
I have 2 5g buckets of bones and if none can be located I will go back to man made media.
Stability of alk and ca via a carx + its simple setup, no ph probe or controller, makes life simple. Now that I run a Kamoer pump I only need to check alk once a month and adjust based on useage.
I am going to setup the 3171 on my 45 soon as im dosing 20ml of esv 1&2 2x a day to maintain an alk of 7.
I just need a 2 stage valve and im ready to go.
Second pic is the 3171.
20230420_134911.jpg
20221202_175302.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ran a Tunze 3171 for several years. On my 120 and current 80+30.
Great and efficient little unit.
I now run a modified Skimz media reactor. I had it laying around and never used it so I modified it. It holds quite a bit more media than the 3171.
I run bones but when I started the 3171 on my 120 I used Tunze manmade media. It only gives alk and ca but I dose trace for mag and others.
I have 2 5g buckets of bones and if none can be located I will go back to man made media.
Stability of alk and ca via a carx + its simple setup, no ph probe or controller, makes life simple.
I am going to setup the 3171 on my 45 soon as im dosing 20ml of esv 1&2 2x a day to maintain an alk of 7.
I just need a 2 stage valve and im ready to go.
Second pic is the 3171.
20230420_134911.jpg
20221202_175302.jpg
very creative

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree on the benefits and costs. I have the ticking carbon doder. It makes dialing simple but the noise. There is a new and quiet one but well over $400
Mine is super quiet but it’s the newer remote mount one. As long as the red led doesn’t burn out I’m good, but if it does I may wish I had the clicking noise! I will tell you though, everything is quiet compared to a dos! Especially when it’s for water changing. If I could see better I would for sure try to make a soundproof enclosure for those.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine is super quiet but it’s the newer remote mount one. As long as the red led doesn’t burn out I’m good, but if it does I may wish I had the clicking noise! I will tell you though, everything is quiet compared to a dos! Especially when it’s for water changing. If I could see better I would for sure try to make a soundproof enclosure for those.
I may end up getting new and keep other as a spare

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running a Korralin reactor (with the original Tunze pump) for... over a decade now. Eventually I switched to the feed pump being a MasterFlex pump, which has been chugging away for ... over five years now.

Its just enough for my system, and maybe a bit too small when things get really packed, but I can set it and forget it for months at a time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back