Calibrated Orp probe 3 times to 400 - Drop in water it goes to 900+

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrated ORP probe 3 times to 400 - Drop in water it goes to 900+. Is there something possibly throwing this off? I don't think its possible to have an ORP that high in saltwater.
I am not running ozone, I run 250 watt UV, carbon, gfo, filter socks, Dual Beckett Pecision Marine XL4 skimmer, and dose Kalkwasser through a doser, not ATO.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. Corals and fish are doing fabulous!!

Temp 78
PH 8.8
Alk 11.2
Nitrate 10
PO4 .06

IMG_0365.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is my experience (depending on the brand) - i.e. which ORP meter are you using - that they need to settle into a tank - and the ORP will drop gradually over several days. Once it levels out, you can get a trend. Frankly, I gave up on ORP a while back - it did not give much benefit (that I could see) - so I'm curious - why are you measuring it?

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my experience (depending on the brand) - i.e. which ORP meter are you using - that they need to settle into a tank - and the ORP will drop gradually over several days. Once it levels out, you can get a trend. Frankly, I gave up on ORP a while back - it did not give much benefit (that I could see) - so I'm curious - why are you measuring it?
I have always found ORP to be a very good water clarity and quality meter. Its always run very stable until I upped my Kalwasser to raise Alk and PH. So I was thinking there is a connection with Kalkwasser and the ORP reading.
The ORP has been consistantly running this high for weeks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back