Calibrating refractometer??

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading numerous threads debating whether to use RO/DI or a calibration fluid. I bought mine from BRS and the insructions that came with the refractometer said to calibrate to zero with RO/DI. But BRS had put a sticker on the case saying no to do that, and included a fluid. There argument is to calibrate it to a range to where you will actually be using it. and ZERO ain't it!

Refractometer Calibration: the Myth and Risks of using RO/DI Water - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog
Watch the video at about 1:20 YouTube - ‪Saltwater refractometer demo - BRS TV‬‏

Anybody want to add, suggest, debate on this?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading numerous threads debating whether to use RO/DI or a calibration fluid. I bought mine from BRS and the insructions that came with the refractometer said to calibrate to zero with RO/DI. But BRS had put a sticker on the case saying no to do that, and included a fluid. There argument is to calibrate it to a range to where you will actually be using it. and ZERO ain't it!

Refractometer Calibration: the Myth and Risks of using RO/DI Water - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog
Watch the video at about 1:20 YouTube - ‪Saltwater refractometer demo - BRS TV‬‏

Anybody want to add, suggest, debate on this?
Maybe check them against each other and see if there is a difference in which fluid you use to calibrate it?
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated mine to Zero with Ro/DI. was told to do that when I was doing Hypo last fall. never re-did it. hmmmm.....

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interresting... ive been calibrating mine with rodi 0 too... id be interrested to hear what you come up with buy comparing the difference between the supplied fluid and rodi like poolkeerper suggested.

what is the sg of the included liquid?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeally depends on the refracto. Mine has to be calibrated with 35 ppt solution. RO/DI throws mine out of wack if I use it to zero it out, but RO/DI shows zero after calibration with solution.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's basically the answer I was looking for.
Reeally depends on the refracto. Mine has to be calibrated with 35 ppt solution. RO/DI throws mine out of wack if I use it to zero it out, but RO/DI shows zero after calibration with solution.

Jennifier615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guessing you were to calibrated with rodi when your cartridges started to wear out eventually your zero level with have a trend that is upwards of zero.....using a solution with a definite known zero is less likely for error.....

For those of you reefers about to "rock"- we salute you ;)

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of Lab Grade Solutions given to me by Crumpletop When i bought his Refractometer. I think they are several different solutions but it was so long ago i can not be sure.
Bill

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guessing you were to calibrated with rodi when your cartridges started to wear out eventually your zero level with have a trend that is upwards of zero.....using a solution with a definite known zero is less likely for error...

For those of you reefers about to "rock"- we salute you ;)

Umm, do what???:neutral:

Jennifier615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, do what???:neutral:

What I was trying to say and my text correcter doesn't understand the english language is, When you use RODI water and the inserts inside the unit start to degrade your water begins to shift upwards in TDS.......If you use this degraded water to calibrate your refractometer eventually your ZERO TDS reading is NOT a true 0 but something that has a positive value....kinda like turning the dial in a weight scale to add five pounds or take five pounds off the weight of something.......sometimes if this value keeps increasing it can be the difference in a tank crash!! Using a solution with a manufactured and tested known value is the best way to insure your 0 reading is a true 0.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was trying to say and my text correcter doesn't understand the english language is, When you use RODI water and the inserts inside the unit start to degrade your water begins to shift upwards in TDS.......If you use this degraded water to calibrate your refractometer eventually your ZERO TDS reading is NOT a true 0 but something that has a positive value....kinda like turning the dial in a weight scale to add five pounds or take five pounds off the weight of something.......sometimes if this value keeps increasing it can be the difference in a tank crash!! Using a solution with a manufactured and tested known value is the best way to insure your 0 reading is a true 0.
I think everyone at apple is laughing their a$$es off at the fact that auto correct actually was made for entertainment purposes.:xd:

Thanks for clarifying!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back