OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure yet. Want a main display tank and one with sea horses also but am working in a fixed amount of space. Right now am leaning on doing a 125 with a glass partition wall to separate the two systems. DT will be on a sump and pony tank may be on a canister but still working on the planning.

how about you, what are you trying to achieve.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for tanks I am thinking Aqueon, seems I have heard better reviews about them than Marineland. I will build the stand myself.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of Aqueon. Custom stand is definitely the way to go tho.

finished the scape today for the most part. Might tweak things a bit.
C174F226-839B-4865-B4B6-9596CBB69E12.jpeg
06310E2A-329B-44B6-94BC-FEB6B79F4178.jpeg

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good remember to keep space at glass for cleaning. I like the openness but was reading earlier today a thread about all fish look for hiding spots so I am going to explore that some more.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good remember to keep space at glass for cleaning. I like the openness but was reading earlier today a thread about all fish look for hiding spots so I am going to explore that some more.
Ya I’m tossing around the idea of putting a small cave or something in the corner. This tank probably won’t have much fish either.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of rock, glue and mortar did you use and where did you get it? I am thinking of getting mine thru BRS. Might even be worth the drive up to Minneapolis just to checkout the place and pick it up.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 95% reef saver rock and a couple small foundation pieces (very nice to have the flat bottom pieces). Regular gorilla super glue and then the E-Marco 400 cement. I liked the Marco cement, it worked well. If I were to do it over again I’d make sure I had a bigger thing of super glue and some insta set from Bob Smith. BRS for the cement and rock. Ace for the glue. I know Big Kahuna carries the Marco rock as well (think it might be cheaper online tho).

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I stopped by BK a couple weeks ago, am going to see how far along they are for being set up when I start my build. At least the would be a good fast source if looking for one or two pieces of a certain size.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this thread might give you some ideas. Sounds like he has vertical caves..

jasonsingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start conversations with other 608 Reefers so we can get to know each other as this group grows, hah suddenly have this vision of being a group counselor for Reefers anonymous...:p

Hi, ;Stop my name is Randy, from Monticello, work for the City of Madison Engineering Dept. I had a salt tank about 30 years ago that went belly up during a heat wave when the AC went out one day while at work. Then young married life took over so no time. Got permission from the boss lady to start one up so doing my homework because a lot has changed since then. Hope to finalize my tank selection(s) soon and start my DIY tank stand build this winter...

NEXT, please introduce yourself and where ya from....;Happy RFLMAO.
My name is Jason Singh. I've been in the aquarium hobby for over 30 years.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. Ended up making a little cave and adding a few small pieces. Now to decide if I want to add sand.
687F50D2-E4E4-45E5-AA23-65477C641B91.jpeg
6C018AC8-9411-477B-83F6-38E526E20A3B.jpeg
E3F38DD2-C190-4E17-B3FC-2F0C96AEBCEB.jpeg

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Add sand? Referring to covering mortar or for the bottom? If to cover mortar I haven’t decided if I will or not. Coralline and corals will eventually cover much of it anyway. I am going to do a sand bottom for some inverts and sand sifting fish.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Add sand? Referring to covering mortar or for the bottom? If to cover mortar I haven’t decided if I will or not. Coralline and corals will eventually cover much of it anyway. I am going to do a sand bottom for some inverts and sand sifting fish.
Sand for the bottom. I’m 50/50 on doing a bare bottom or having sand. As far as covering the mortar. I tried tossing sand at it while it was wet. It stuck in some spots but fell off in others. Like you said, it’s going to get covered eventually. I wasn’t worried about it.

How soon do you plan on piecing rock together? I have quite a lot of the cement left and I’m not sure what the shelf life is. Side note on using it. I would definitely recommend mixing it fairly thin/wet but still hold together. I then used a wet foam brush to push it into the rock etc. and almost paint it on.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand for the bottom. I’m 50/50 on doing a bare bottom or having sand. As far as covering the mortar. I tried tossing sand at it while it was wet. It stuck in some spots but fell off in others. Like you said, it’s going to get covered eventually. I wasn’t worried about it.

How soon do you plan on piecing rock together? I have quite a lot of the cement left and I’m not sure what the shelf life is. Side note on using it. I would definitely recommend mixing it fairly thin/wet but still hold together. I then used a wet foam brush to push it into the rock etc. and almost paint it on.
Thanks for the tip. I am likely not going to start until around holidays or after New Years. Have a few other projects to finish up first. Currently reading up on water quality as I am on a well out in the sticks. So need to do a little rearranging in the basement. Need to take water off of main line, store and aerate to get rid of CO2, then pump it through the RODI, store some as RODI and store some as salt ready to go.

Back