Calling all Wisco Reefers

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jon from Madison. Been at it for ~10 months. Started with a RS 200xl, currently running a Waterbox 100.3 (~75 gal).

For fish; pair of clowns, potter angel, tomini tang, hybrid yellow scopas tang, algae blenny, yellow watchman goby, black cap basselet. Probably going to add a flame wrasse then call the fish load good.

For corals, I can get zoas to thrive, shrooms and lps survive. SPS is my current challenge. Got a WD to grow fairly well, but have melted a ton of sticks. Working on stability and general maturing of the tank.
610938AB-B21D-4E06-AB29-33BEBBBC51E2.jpeg
93B38A48-D2A3-4080-9C21-9BF6C6BFA722.jpeg

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon from Madison. Been at it for ~10 months. Started with a RS 200xl, currently running a Waterbox 100.3 (~75 gal).

For fish; pair of clowns, potter angel, tomini tang, hybrid yellow scopas tang, algae blenny, yellow watchman goby, black cap basselet. Probably going to add a flame wrasse then call the fish load good.

For corals, I can get zoas to thrive, shrooms and lps survive. SPS is my current challenge. Got a WD to grow fairly well, but have melted a ton of sticks. Working on stability and general maturing of the tank.
Nice setup!

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to the club....really nice DT

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I could use a couple myself lol. Hope you find some :)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1 Only good place by us as well. A hike but a cool store

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They graze all day long. I think they eat more of the excess food. Any longer algae they don't really touch.

For hair algae, it is just a combination of time and nutrient control. Everything has to come to balance and that just takes a while. In the meantime, you can pull the algae out. Try not to overfeed. GFO (or something like a bag of Chemipure Elite) can help with Phosphate.

For CUC, a combo of turbos, Trochus and Astraea to keep the rocks clean. Nassarius and a fighting conch are great for cleaning sand if you have it (they have some really big black Nassarius snails at Pet World Warehouse now... don't by the red foot turbos, they are "colder" water). An emerald crab can help to keep things like bubble algae non-existent (and clean food off the rocks).

You could order a pack from ReefCleaners. Good price and you also get a ton of these super tiny snails that can get in the small spots.

I tried vibrant... and really regret it. It killed my hair algae and this other algae I had.... but man it killed a lot of corals and my chaeto is still recovering weeks later. I really believe that stuff is an algaecide not a bacteria.

Until your rocks are solid coralline, you are probably going to have some algae.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only “problem” right now is getting it controlled in my fuge. I know some people say to not worry about it but I think it’s out competing my macro for nutrients.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it has a lot to do with flow in the fuge. If you are using the hang on, I would think about knocking out the baffle by the intake and remove the weir on the exit so it is just an empty box. Then put some screen over the exit (or cut out the weir and attach it somehow). Next, remove the down pipe on the intake, replace it with a straight tube that goes straight across the box. Then cut a line in that tube so water will spray across the top on the fuge towards the exit. This will create a gyre like flow.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not. I ended up getting one of the crystal reef sumps. You think there needs to be more flow then? Things are pretty stagnant in the fuge section.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Flow will help a lot with hair algae. If you can get it to swirl around the fuge section, that helps to keep the walls clean and keep the macro bunched up in the middle.

Back