Calling all Wisco Reefers

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If the chaeto doesn't end up reducing nitrates enough I may switch to a GFO reactor
GFO will reduce phosphate, but should not affect nitrate. With a new tank you just have to be really careful about how much you feed since there is not a lot of biological consumption.

One tip you can try is to do a 1 gal per day water change with TM bioactif salt. It has a little bit of carbon dosing in it, so that helps to get the denitrifying bacteria going. Just get 2 1 gallon buckets, make 1 gal of RODI, throw in 1/2 cup salt, mix for a min. Siphon out 1 gal with bucket 2 and dump in the new. Takes like 5 min a day.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally finished the side cabinets (Menards stock cabinets FTW) and got the little WB 15 set up ( plumbed to the big one)

04C14472-F07B-4A4A-B291-3FB41DA2049D.jpeg

2E0E199D-BAF3-46EB-9861-5B0ECE4A60D9.jpeg

332B60D9-3C35-4C7E-A33F-D5C80439F048.jpeg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks awesome!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My return pump is 1” through UV then goes to a Y. One leg goes to 3/4” and on to the DT while the other goes to 1/2” then to the frag cube via a hang on return. For the drain, I used an EShops nano hob overflow connected to 3/4” with a gate valve that dumps into the fuge.

I have a 1” flowmeter after the return pump, then a 1/2” in the frag line. With a Cor 20 running at 90%, I am getting about 530 gph to the DT (680 total - 150 frag) and 150 gph to the frag cube. High flow to the cube keeps the hob siphon clear of air and also ensures the temp/ Params stay in line.

I thought about drilling the cube, but if I upgrade to a bigger frag tank it would hurt the resale (plus I can transfer the same connections to a different frag tank in the future)

441FAEB8-A5F6-4D76-BB33-46E4F3786AC5.jpeg

03C34B78-DE33-42EC-8369-0DA138F886FD.jpeg

BD4B8631-A108-4901-8131-ACE1E8B87CD9.jpeg

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice clean setup. I'm considering adding an algae scrubber to my sump since I didn't really know what I was doing at the time and made it too small. Have you guys used any of the manufactured ones and did they work for you?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would strongly consider instead of spending $$ on an algae scrubber, change out the sump.

The fuge should be ~10% of the system volume with 5-10x flow through it. For 5-10 gal fuge, an A160 works well, 10+ go with H380. Chaeto type seems to also be important. The thin, hair like stuff grows much faster. If you get a Triton config, you can go sockless as the chaeto acts as a filter sock.

In the first 6-9 months, you are going to have algae in the DT. It sucks. You can pull the GHA out to help... it will come back. Once the rocks are mostly covered in coaralline, then it will recede.

In the meantime, add some fish slowly. Get a good CUC (shrimp, snails, emerald crab) Add some hardier corals (Zoa, blasto, duncan... avoid sps and lps with base skin (torches, hammer, frogspawn)). Do the 1% water change per day to keep things in balance. Start investing in control (apex, ghl, etc). Get an auto-tester (trident, alkatronic, etc) and start dosing when you see things dropping.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve tested my nitrates three times with a Red Sea kit and they came back 0. My P04 is .05. Not sure if the fuge is doing too good of a job or what but I’m still battling some GHA. (Don’t mind the lone cardinal, he was being bullied by the other two). I’m doing a quick test with Nyos to see if I get a different reading.

Update: Nyos was 0 as well. I’ve got a decent fish load so I’m not sure how that happens.

F41F7635-892A-4ED7-9E37-7FBC483ABA10.jpeg

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve tested my nitrates three times with a Red Sea kit and they came back 0. My P04 is .05. Not sure if the fuge is doing too good of a job or what but I’m still battling some GHA. (Don’t mind the lone cardinal, he was being bullied by the other two). I’m doing a quick test with Nyos to see if I get a different reading.

Update: Nyos was 0 as well. I’ve got a decent fish load so I’m not sure how that happens.

F41F7635-892A-4ED7-9E37-7FBC483ABA10.jpeg
I'm curious what your lighting schedule is. If you're getting a true zero you could dial the lighting back.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 tests (2 Red Sea/1 Nyos) I was unable to get any color change in the water. Fuge had been on for 12 hours. Just cut back to 8.

Plan is to increase my CUC a bit to try and clean up the GHA. I currently only have a couple snails. Hopefully once I get rid of more GHA the numbers will climb. Right now I think it’s just sucking up all the nutrients.

Last edited:

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to the group from Viroqua. I've been researching and slowly acquiring the necessary gear for a little over a year now. There's water and the first fish in the 220 gallon tank. Reef Brite Lumilite Pro and XHO strips installed in the canopy today. I have cooling fans arriving on Tuesday which should mostly complete the set-up for now. I'm trying to set up a low maintenance mixed coral tank.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to the group from Viroqua. I've been researching and slowly acquiring the necessary gear for a little over a year now. There's water and the first fish in the 220 gallon tank. Reef Brite Lumilite Pro and XHO strips installed in the canopy today. I have cooling fans arriving on Tuesday which should mostly complete the set-up for now. I'm trying to set up a low maintenance mixed coral tank.
Welcome. Post a few pictures.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and welcome. @WIReefer is the moderator for us. He is in the process of getting settled into a new house so he should be reaching out to you soon.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be posting a specific thread soon. But I know a local Reefer who needs to rehome a yellow tang. If you’re interested LMK.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could probably post it on the Marketplace and sell it for like 300 bucks. Prices on Yellow's are crazy right now with the export ban.
It’s posted. I think there’s a fine line between making a little $ and doing what’s right for a fellow reefer/ fish that needs a bigger tank but yes, nows certainly the time to sell a yellow tang.

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Post a few pictures.
I'm a photographer so I hate to post anything that isn't considered. But if I wait to set up a tripod and do what it takes to get a beautiful shot you may never see one. So here's my modest reef tank offering...shot with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 55
Back