Calling all SCA owners...Need Help with Equipment Options!

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef Squad. I am interested in learning more about other reefer's SCA setup. I have followed a few threads, but I am sure that there are others out there. I am interested in upgrading my return pump and skimmer. Both are stock and don't perform that well in my opinion. I am interested in hearing how others have upgraded their systems. I currently have the 66 gallon. I opted for the same sump that comes with the 50 cube, so I am limited when it comes to skimmer options. Please excuse the poor cable management. All thoughts are welcome.

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4941.JPG

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the section that holds your current skimmer? Because of your sump downgrade, that section may be prohibitively small and limit your options. You may want to consider putting the skimmer in that longer section where your fuge is currently. That would open up your choices of skimmers. Perhaps you can put an algae reactor, like a Pax Bellum n18 or Skimz MBR127 where your skimmer currently resides.

As far as pumps go are you looking at an AC or DC pump?

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the section that holds your current skimmer? Because of your sump downgrade, that section may be prohibitively small and limit your options. You may want to consider putting the skimmer in that longer section where your fuge is currently. That would open up your choices of skimmers. Perhaps you can put an algae reactor, like a Pax Bellum n18 or Skimz MBR127 where your skimmer currently resides.

As far as pumps go are you looking at an AC or DC pump?

The dimension that holds my skimmer is 7x8 inches. I am considering moving to a DC pump. I currently have an AC pump and it was kicking roughly 30-40 volts into my system. Most of my SPS suffered STN and my parameters are fairly consistent. I think that the stray voltage was the issue. I must replace the skimmer now. I will also consider an algae scrubber or reactor.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 7”x8” skimmer section is better than I thought. Here are some skimmers that would be a vast improvement over your current skimmer. The Ice Cap K2-120, which is currently 25% of as I think they’re discontinuing it and replacing it with the cheaper quality K1 line of skimmers, the Simplicity 120DC skimmer or the Reef Octopus Classic 110 space saver skimmer. These options will fit your sump’s skimmer space. I wouldn’t worry about the Ice Cap K2 being discontinued either as it comes with an easily replaceable Sicce SK-200 needlewheel pump.

Of the three, I’d go with the Reef Octopus as it is the biggest of the three, hence more capacity as it has a 5” diameter, whereas the Simplicity has a 4.75” diameter and the Ice Cap having just a 4” diameter. Note however that one of the dimensions of the Reef Octopus is 7.87”... that’s pushing the limit for the 8” maximum length of your skimmer section.

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 7”x8” skimmer section is better than I thought. Here are some skimmers that would be a vast improvement over your current skimmer. The Ice Cap K2-120, which is currently 25% of as I think they’re discontinuing it and replacing it with the cheaper quality K1 line of skimmers, the Simplicity 120DC skimmer or the Reef Octopus Classic 110 space saver skimmer. These options will fit your sump’s skimmer space. I wouldn’t worry about the Ice Cap K2 being discontinued either as it comes with an easily replaceable Sicce SK-200 needlewheel pump.

Of the three, I’d go with the Reef Octopus as it is the biggest of the three, hence more capacity as it has a 5” diameter, whereas the Simplicity has a 4.75” diameter and the Ice Cap having just a 4” diameter. Note however that one of the dimensions of the Reef Octopus is 7.87”... that’s pushing the limit for the 8” maximum length of your skimmer section.
Thank you!

All great options. I am going to start researching all three options. I was already thinking about a Reef Octopus. Simplicity 's DC controller is intriguing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back