Calling all seahorse keepers or those in the midst of a seahorse build!

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 with a sump (don't remember the gallons) that is pending lights and chiller. Plan on getting 4-6 erectus, but it will be a mixed reef. Right now it has a tail spot blenny. So far I want to add a few barnacle blennies, firefish, a pipefish or two, possibly a wrasse, possibly some cardinals. We will treat the tank like a giant refugium, lots of macro algae. And lots of soft corals on the rockwork.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 with a sump (don't remember the gallons) that is pending lights and chiller. Plan on getting 4-6 erectus, but it will be a mixed reef. Right now it has a tail spot blenny. So far I want to add a few barnacle blennies, firefish, a pipefish or two, possibly a wrasse, possibly some cardinals. We will treat the tank like a giant refugium, lots of macro algae. And lots of soft corals on the rockwork.
Sounds great but what about the temperature since it's best to keep the ponies below 74 degrees?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I only knew of one other dwarf seahorse keeper and they got a dwarf accidently, so it was a rescue. Now I know of someone with experience with zosterae. Is it alright if I refer folks interested in keeping them to you?
Haha I saw you on that thread:D

Colby Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5763.JPG
I have several species of seahorses currently. I'll snag some photos tomorrow but in the mean time here is my favorite current project.

Not quite a seahorse, but close enough to share a pic

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5763.JPG
I have several species of seahorses currently. I'll snag some photos tomorrow but in the mean time here is my favorite current project.

Very awesome. I think I remember reading when you started the project, so it appears that they are doing quite well! Kudos to you!

chris fullwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning a seahorse tank for my wife, possibly for our 10 year wedding anniversary. All i have right now is about a 30 gallon tank, its taller than both wide and long. No idea on lighting yet, i will probably put a sump in, and an eshopps eclipse overflow. Will definitely take suggestions fron those successful at keeping these ocean ponies. I currently have 5 successful salt tanks, 2 just passed the 1 year mark.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wife will be very pleased I think. Chris, did you read my article on how seahorses differ from other marine fish? Keeping them successfully requires doing a few things quite different from your reef tank. They are well worth the extra trouble however.
We will all look forward to your build thread!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5763.JPG

Is their care similar to seahorses? I imagine they're difficult to find and when you do, quite expensive.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we won't get the seahorses until we have a chiller on the system.
Depending on how you regulate your home's temperature and the type of lighting you have on the system excetera you might be able to get by without a chiller and just run a fan on the surface water. I don't use a chiller on mine but I have a fan and my house stays at 73 degrees at all times. I also run LEDs in the tank so that the lighting doesn't create heat and all my equipment doesn't create heat either. So my tank stays between 71 and 72.5

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how you regulate your home's temperature and the type of lighting you have on the system excetera you might be able to get by without a chiller and just run a fan on the surface water. I don't use a chiller on mine but I have a fan and my house stays at 73 degrees at all times. I also run LEDs in the tank so that the lighting doesn't create heat and all my equipment doesn't create heat either. So my tank stays between 71 and 72.5
+1. I have two fans on mine and the temp ranges from 73-74. However, I live in the deep south so keeping my house at 73 is a challange. Additionally, I have about 1 gallon+ per day of evaporation since adding the fans. I scored a used Ecoplus 1/10 chiller today at my lfs cheap! One of their customers decided to get out of the hobby. Can't wait to get it all cleaned up and plumbed in.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I have two fans on mine and the temp ranges from 73-74. However, I live in the deep south so keeping my house at 73 is a challange. Additionally, I have about 1 gallon+ per day of evaporation since adding the fans. I scored a used Ecoplus 1/10 chiller today at my lfs cheap! One of their customers decided to get out of the hobby. Can't wait to get it all cleaned up and plumbed in.
That is terrific! Yay!

Oh I understand about the deep South I live in Florida LOL. But my house is all tile floor and that helps keep my temperatures down and all my windows have been replaced with triple thermal pane, insulated and tinted. Having your house as tight as mine is kind of a good thing and a bad thing. I can keep my temperatures quite cool but then I have pH issues because my house is so tight. [emoji12]
The 45 goes through more evaporation than my 180 LOL

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, super stoked over here...New Orleans is HOT! Florida too! Funny you say that about your windows. Replacing ours in the spring and I am concerned about ph too. It already runs at 7.8 on my tank. Good news is the room Clyde is in has two external entrances that are used FREQUENTLY!!! LOL. Kids. Dogs. Kids.
That is terrific! Yay!

Oh I understand about the deep South I live in Florida LOL. But my house is all tile floor and that helps keep my temperatures down and all my windows have been replaced with triple thermal pane, insulated and tinted. Having your house as tight as mine is kind of a good thing and a bad thing. I can keep my temperatures quite cool but then I have pH issues because my house is so tight. [emoji12]
The 45 goes through more evaporation than my 180 LOL

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We might consider holding off on a chiller, but we need to first have everything running to see where the temp is at. It currently runs between 73-74. But we still have to add two Kessils and the skimmer.

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing weedy sea dragons!! How were you able to acquire them? Are there any breeders in the US?
IMG_5763.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back