Calling out all vendors... Ultra Rare Super Toxic Holy Garbage...

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the interesting question: Whenever you see some 'relatively new person' asking for an ID on some stick or zoa...does your blood boil knowing they are falling and perpetuating the problem? I used to jump on those threads to try and prove my knowledge until I realized it was a fool's errand. Took me a dozen or so threads to realize why it was so hard to name a frag...because so many of the frags were the same with different names based on which vendor wanted to push a signature piece.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the interesting question: Whenever you see some 'relatively new person' asking for an ID on some stick or zoa...does your blood boil knowing they are falling and perpetuating the problem? I used to jump on those threads to try and prove my knowledge until I realized it was a fool's errand. Took me a dozen or so threads to realize why it was so hard to name a frag...because so many of the frags were the same with different names based on which vendor wanted to push a signature piece.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé
I assume everyone asking for an ID is for the sole purpose of selling frags for more money.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I agree it’s absurd. Goes hand in hand with the arcade neon lights display aquariums of today.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s when I have fun with them: that’s the highly desirable golden Colon blow pop
I always suggest making up your own name. More fun and serves the same purpose.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a way, I understand naming Zoas, especially if the name is commonly agreed-upon to identify a specific color. Just makes more sense to me than calling them all “orange tentacle mostly purple body green mouth speckled zoa”. Now changing the name to command higher prices is a different story.

EDIT: now that I said out loud, I guess this applies to all corals ha ha. I guess I’m saying I’m OK with “blow pops “, but selling your zoa as “nuclear rainbow unicorn Shart blow pops” is probably too much

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume everyone asking for an ID is for the sole purpose of selling frags for more money.

I don't know that I agree with that. At least not as a blanket statement. I took a 15+ year break, and by the time I came back the genus species had been replaced with ULTRA FIRE OMG AMAZEBALLS YEA CORAL, which fine. Been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

BUT, me as an organized person with a spreadsheet of what's in each tank (intentionally and observed) ... I genuinely like and appreciate having some sort of name for everything. Even if it's a ridiculous name that was intended for marketing.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured all of this out. Everyone is still using AOL keyword search. They just want to make sure that their corals get populated into the query return. MOAR keywords = MOAR better search result click through.

I know I have one of those AOL disc around here somewhere. I am going coral shopping with my free minuets.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned that certain sellers will give you a letter of authenticity when you buy an original coral that they are the original sellers. Such as Jason Fox if you buy a Homewrecker acro, etc. Can anyone confirm this? That would at least give the buyer something to have a standard to in higher pricing. Perhaps the industry should follow suit, similar to dog pedigrees for certain coral.
Seen that with the reptile morph market yet the buyer of supposed lineage from the buyer of the authentic material has nothing but the new sellers word. Outside of DNA testing and visual clues it's impossible to regulate. Why with the morph market I only buy from reputable breeders although I have no way to authenticate that I sell beyond my reputation.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it used to be I could hardly give away Mushroom Corals. I saw one advertised for over $400.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the newest catch phrase starting to appear in threads: World’s First!

Pfft.. Whatever.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how long it will be until the CUC peddlers start giving every snail a fancy name. After all, this hobby has become pre-conditioned to throw a CUC at every problem they have in their tank. It's almost in vogue now to claim your trying to resolve a problem with a CUC.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently Meltdown is another new phrase. $295 for a . . . Favia?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this viral thread a Super-Rare Toxic Trash Space and what the site is going to look like in 2023?
Let’s keep it rare, the cost is too high ime.
Who Are You Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it has been suggested already, but the real problem is the hobbyist. This is true across the entire market in the US. Look at all the$90,000 trucks construction companies drive around. We make Chevy 1500s here, and the base price is almost half the cost of my house. Yet people are buying them. Look at housing, yet people are buying. The broccoli farmer had it right earlier with the idiot syndrome, and hopefully we can break that cycle for our kids.

I would be embarrassed to tell my neighbor that I bought OG Puffy Cloud White paint for my ceiling, but I wouldn't be embarrassed if I paid a high price for quality paint, as suggested earlier. Once again, hopefully we all work to raise our kids better than that. There will always be wealthy people buying rare and unique items, but I see posts on here going for broke over coral that doesn't even survive. I am thankful that I have been able to avoid the "pop culture" reefing so far, although I am only a few months in. This doesn't seem to be a rich man's hobby more than any other hobby; the cost is what you make it.

FS

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technology has conditioned our culture to become self absorbed. When you can make a 30 second video of some stupid named coral in your tank, and post it up on tik chat (or whatever the vogue platform of the day is) for 100's of millions to see and respond, what do you think is going to happen. It's like a drug, you get addicted to all the people salivating over you tank.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, if I saw two similar blue acros next to each other, and one was a no-name for $20, and the other was named Limited Edition Whamo-Zamo-Nuclear-Kim-Kardashian for $200, I'd take the $20 frag.

I could care less about the made-up names. If I like it and it's affordable, I'll get it and be happy. When anyone asks what it is, I'll say it's a blue one.

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine taking a break from the hobby for almost 15 years and coming back to these prices... But it's like everything these days as others have mentioned. Even the most mundane of items are marked up as special, limited, designer, whatever, just so (unfortunately) my generation and those after it can feel special. Good luck buying a vehicle... Especially an SUV.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back