Calling out all vendors... Ultra Rare Super Toxic Holy Garbage...

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to call these guys puke tangs back in the day. I don’t want one, but if you like RARE things. Those tangs certainly are RARE. LOL
I dont think you get my point! And no I do not care to have a rare yellow/scopas tang. They look unhealthy to me. I don't see anything pretty about them

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Vendors,

Your use of the words Super, Ultra, Rare, Holy, OG, Rainbow, Unique, ETC is absurd. I am seeing labels placed on coral that is nothing short of blah and mundane. But I guess those words don't command high dollar amounts. For all those that insist on selling Zoanthids at such high prices PER POLYP, for the vendors that are selling coral at hundreds and thousands of dollars based on a name. You are pricing people out of the hobby.

I understand capitalism. I understand that there are some instances when it costs more to import and grow a coral, cultivate it. But I refuse to believe that the greed that i see in this hobby today is anything short of just that GREED...

Wake up hobbyists... Live sale, flash sale, they aren't really sales. and these are the same vendors selling 1500 coral at an average price of 50 a coral every 2 weeks during these "sales". Not to mention the product they sell in between. For those of you that math is hard, that is $112,500 for each flash sale at that price. Even if they only do one a month or one for every holiday or other event like "back to school sale".... They are still doing 12 to 20 of these sales a year. They are robbing us blind as hobbyists.

There is so much more that can be said... but until hobbyists are no longer willing to pay these prices and go back to the trade them if you have them mentality, eventually this will end up being a hobby for the ULTR SUPER RARE HOLY OG RICH people....

Anyone want to buy a super ultra rare og Tiger torch?

Tiger.jpg
(queue slow clapping) …..……….……..

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Vendors,

Your use of the words Super, Ultra, Rare, Holy, OG, Rainbow, Unique, ETC is absurd. I am seeing labels placed on coral that is nothing short of blah and mundane. But I guess those words don't command high dollar amounts. For all those that insist on selling Zoanthids at such high prices PER POLYP, for the vendors that are selling coral at hundreds and thousands of dollars based on a name. You are pricing people out of the hobby.

I understand capitalism. I understand that there are some instances when it costs more to import and grow a coral, cultivate it. But I refuse to believe that the greed that i see in this hobby today is anything short of just that GREED...

Wake up hobbyists... Live sale, flash sale, they aren't really sales. and these are the same vendors selling 1500 coral at an average price of 50 a coral every 2 weeks during these "sales". Not to mention the product they sell in between. For those of you that math is hard, that is $112,500 for each flash sale at that price. Even if they only do one a month or one for every holiday or other event like "back to school sale".... They are still doing 12 to 20 of these sales a year. They are robbing us blind as hobbyists.

There is so much more that can be said... but until hobbyists are no longer willing to pay these prices and go back to the trade them if you have them mentality, eventually this will end up being a hobby for the ULTR SUPER RARE HOLY OG RICH people....

Anyone want to buy a super ultra rare og Tiger torch?

Tiger.jpg
The price is far from the wildest thing going on in these live “sales”. They prey on your “missing out” reflex. When you participate in these you’re impulse buying a 1/2 nub that’s so freshly attached to its plug the glue hasnt dried by the time you get it in the mail. Those things die at a way higher rate than encrusted frags. What they’re doing with these “sales” is inhumane to the animals, on top of being a shameless marketing play. I’d rather pay the extra 10% and get a real frag.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the high prices comes from people who are buying the expensive corals as an investment and the original sellers know that so they up the price, then theirs the regular hobbyist whos in the middle that has to deal with the high prices as a collateral.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the high prices comes from people who are buying the expensive corals as an investment and the original sellers know that so they up the price, then theirs the regular hobbyist whos in the middle that has to deal with the high prices as a collateral.
Original cost,

Grow it out 10x, 10 sales recoop cost. Now to have a free coral.

Prices don't have to be high. Even 5 sales break even. 6th = new coral for yourself.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original cost,

Grow it out 10x, 10 sales recoop cost. Now to have a free coral.

Prices don't have to be high. Even 5 sales break even. 6th = new coral for yourself.
You aren't considering the time it takes to grow 10x its size. Also the costs of running a reef tank. If it were really that simple to cultivate coral everyone would do it and supply would heavily out weigh demand. I heard coral are cheap in the places that export them. A big reason reason coral are expensive is because the cost of shipping. I honestly spent "too much" on my hobby, but I think it was worth it. If I didn't see the worth I wouldn't have done it.

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't considering the time it takes to grow 10x its size. Also the costs of running a reef tank. If it were really that simple to cultivate coral everyone would do it and supply would heavily out weigh demand. I heard coral are cheap in the places that export them. A big reason reason coral are expensive is because the cost of shipping. I honestly spent "too much" on my hobby, but I think it was worth it. If I didn't see the worth I wouldn't have done it.
and a lot of the high end corals like zoas sometimes just completely melt out of nowhere more then the low end corals which would make the supply lower

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tagging certain names on corals to make it more attractive/popular/valuable has been building for years. What has bothered me the last couple and might be what got this thread started is the dramatic rise of prices in just the past 2 years. The $25 coral 2 years ago is $40-50. It is easy not to pay more for a “cool name coral” but it’s not easy not to pay more when everything has almost doubled in price.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always super rare in photoshop! Hmmm so close in my tank! Must be shipping stress! Haha! Still cool none the less!

Attachments

• 12240B51-D248-4B39-A85B-73A1ED2B60A9.png
    12240B51-D248-4B39-A85B-73A1ED2B60A9.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 04E52033-07F7-44D6-AAE0-0C7767E52B7A.jpeg
    04E52033-07F7-44D6-AAE0-0C7767E52B7A.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 29
  • FA92F882-42A2-4EAE-B737-CE4928EB297F.jpeg
    FA92F882-42A2-4EAE-B737-CE4928EB297F.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 30

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back