Caloric demands of a Thorny/Spiny Oyster

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!
While working on my new NPS setup, I stumbled across a shop selling a variable thorny oyster (Sponylus varius).
These are just super cool and colorful (and expensive ).

These clams can actually get quite large and filter many gallons of water per hour so they are very efficient at filtering out food.

Is it actually sensible to put such a critter in the tank or would I have to dose literally gallons of Phyto every day to keep it happy or would daily target feeding be enough? With the tank being designed for filter feeders, I am also worried that this guy will be too efficient at filtering and basically starve my other filter feeders.

Any thoughts on this?
Also, any experiences in keeping a S. varius?

Thanks all!

Greetings,
Flo

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think it may starve(will get back to this in a minute ). I can't speak for Sponylus varius, but having some experience with Crassostrea gigas, aka Pacific Oysters, filter 20 to 50 gallons a day. Reef Nutrient has a chart to feed oysters for consumption. Here's picture of my two refugiums outside it started with 120 oysters, it stabilized at 80 oysters. Plus 3 large cherry stone clams,7 small clams in miracle mud,3 abalones. Had chaetomorpha too. And 2 sulfur denitrators

Screenshot_2019-12-01-22-25-05.png

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On how much to feed, if filtration can handle it keep water with just a tint of green. Of course have tank fully stocked with creatures or spot feed as often as you can. There's no exact information on feeding with success, you may need to figure it out as you go

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!
While working on my new NPS setup, I stumbled across a shop selling a variable thorny oyster (Sponylus varius).
These are just super cool and colorful (and expensive ).

These clams can actually get quite large and filter many gallons of water per hour so they are very efficient at filtering out food.

Is it actually sensible to put such a critter in the tank or would I have to dose literally gallons of Phyto every day to keep it happy or would daily target feeding be enough? With the tank being designed for filter feeders, I am also worried that this guy will be too efficient at filtering and basically starve my other filter feeders.

Any thoughts on this?
Also, any experiences in keeping a S. varius?

Thanks all!

Greetings,
Flo
Can you mention your ideas on nps tank your trying

OP
OP
Gaufl

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply.
I have been follwoing your Dendronephthya thread for a while now. I really like your work.
In the last year I collected mainly NPS LPS coral, so I dont have a feeding setup for gorgonians and filter feeders yet.
In a few months, I would like to upgrade my system and setup an automatic dosing system for phyto and Fauna Marin foods. As of now, my filter feeders (different tubeworms, spider sponge and two winged oysters) are being fed with live phyto and reefriods.
Some of my NPS LPS.
20191110_104507.jpg
20191110_110059.jpg
20191123_130017.jpg
T. micranthus (2).jpg

OP
OP
Gaufl

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think it may starve(will get back to this in a minute ). I can't speak for Sponylus varius, but having some experience with Crassostrea gigas, aka Pacific Oysters, filter 20 to 50 gallons a day. Reef Nutrient has a chart to feed oysters for consumption. Here's picture of my two refugiums outside it started with 120 oysters, it stabilized at 80 oysters. Plus 3 large cherry stone clams,7 small clams in miracle mud,3 abalones. Had chaetomorpha too. And 2 sulfur denitrators

Screenshot_2019-12-01-22-25-05.png
So how much did you feed on a daily basis? Also, arent C. gigas more of a temperate species?
Sadly, I cant buy reef nutrition products here in germany.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been follwoing your Dendronephthya thread for a while now. I really like your work.
In the last year I collected mainly NPS LPS coral, so I dont have a feeding setup for gorgonians and filter feeders yet.
In a few months, I would like to upgrade my system and setup an automatic dosing system for phyto and Fauna Marin foods. As of now, my filter feeders (different tubeworms, spider sponge and two winged oysters) are being fed with live phyto and reefriods.
Some of my NPS LPS.
20191110_104507.jpg
20191110_110059.jpg
20191123_130017.jpg
T. micranthus (2).jpg
Beautiful specimens

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much did you feed on a daily basis? Also, arent C. gigas more of a temperate species?
Sadly, I cant buy reef nutrition products here in germany.
I feed approximately with diy feeder (patent pending), 4ml Phyto-Feast, 4ml raw egg, 1/4 of a teaspoon reefroids, add together I add another 1/4 teaspoon amount of reefroids every 6 or 12 hours. Water Volume apprx. 100 gallons. I feed very, very small amounts through 24hrs.

Pacific oysters can thrive up to 35 Celsius

Don't need to be Phyto-Feast, comparable fine, same with reefroids.
Fauna Marine Sprint I've used in pass

OP
OP
Gaufl

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply!
So that amount of food is actually a lot less than I expected. That was enough to keep 80 oysters alive long term? In that case, it might be possible to keep the oyster alive with the amount that I am dosing.
At the moment, I am dosing 6ml of concentrated live phyto (mix of different species, locally cultivated) and a pinch of reefroids daily. The system is a reefer nano (small water volume for larger water changes).
I could supplement the feeding with something like marine snow etc.
I also have quite the stock of FM UltraClam, UltraSeafan and UltraminF.

I never used Sprint, but it might be an option to consider.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply!
So that amount of food is actually a lot less than I expected. That was enough to keep 80 oysters alive long term? In that case, it might be possible to keep the oyster alive with the amount that I am dosing.
At the moment, I am dosing 6ml of concentrated live phyto (mix of different species, locally cultivated) and a pinch of reefroids daily. The system is a reefer nano (small water volume for larger water changes).
I could supplement the feeding with something like marine snow etc.
I also have quite the stock of FM UltraClam, UltraSeafan and UltraminF.

I never used Sprint, but it might be an option to consider.
I forgot to mention, ,the 2 refugiums from 10/2017, no longer operational. Sorry. Like I mention you will eventually determine proper feeding techniques, while loosing some creatures, unfortunately. Hope all goes well. For CUC, I like alot of snails and pods.

OP
OP
Gaufl

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually also have a large filter sponge in the sump. Maybe i should squeeze it more often for some detritus in the tank.
Thank you for your help so far. I am still not sure if I will pull the trigger on this guy as it is quite large and I am not sure that it will thrive but if I do I will make sure to keep you all updated in this thread.

Back