Cam’s Fluval Evo 13.5 Reef Venture

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having lurked on several forums for over five years I finally got an amazing deal on a tank I should have bit the bullet on a long time ago. The plan is to have a pretty simple fish only tank at first until I upgrade the lights. Eventually I know I’m going to get coral. I’m not expecting a ton of attention here this is mostly so I can document the progress as the tank matures.

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5
Filter: inTank Media Basket
filter floss
Purigen

Stock Pump
Sicce Voyager Nano 1000 power head

Lighting:
Stock, planning AI prime upgrade

STOCK
CUC:

2 Blue leg Hermits
2 Cerith Snails

Fish:
2 Occelaris Clownfish
firefish
Coral:
Green Florida Ricordia
Purple Rhodactis
Gobstopper Zoas 8+ at time of purchase
Other Inverts:

May 1, 2021
A7B34577-584B-4BCB-B9FE-6076CB7988E7.jpeg

March 8, 2021:
093BD343-528A-488E-8DB7-AF0A0D23F8DC.jpeg
B9091B06-6FDF-43F3-846A-949336F0C4E2.jpeg

The coral plans are mostly going to be softies and LPS once I’m ready for coral. I love euphylia and the movement they bring so the smaller island will likely be dedicated to them.

Cheers and Happy Reefing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nothing really new, been dosing Stability every day since I have no live rock in the tank. I’ve noticed that I’ve barely gotten the tiniest little ammonia spike and I’m adding a little bit of food every other day. I am not worried though it’s only been 4 days since waters been in.

My next challenge is finding a light and a mesh top for the tank. Who knew that the mesh tops that are available would cost as much as what I paid for the tank used lol. I paid $90 CAD for the tank used. A family had been using it for a betta fish for a few months and sold it to me because it was too much flow for the betta so I got a steal. Looking at some of the mesh tops and they come out to more than what I paid for the tank.

I’m pretty dead set however on getting an AI Prime light. I considered the kessil A80 tuna because I have the FW version over my planted Fluval edge. But I think it just won’t be enough for what I eventually want to do with the tank and I’d rather future proof than need to keep buying upgrades and sell my old equipment for a loss.
Additionally, I am a huge fan of travelling so the more equipment I can buy that I can program and have it be automated the more piece of mind I’ll have if I am on vacation etc. Plus I’ll have a ton of time to test the equipments features and reliability before I’m travelling since that’s not really going to happen any time soon: thus me having more trust that the products will actually work the way I program them.

I’ll leave you all with this, if you compare to what I already have posted everything looks pretty much exactly the same minus a temperature probe I have just dangling in there.
CF62F4A4-1F84-4D48-B03D-47397E8C1EA3.jpeg

Cheers!

OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the stock light unless the coloration really bothers you. Like the minimal rock work too.
I more so want to upgrade for coral purposes but that’s not going to be for a while. I’m not travelling at the moment because of COVID and also I will likely be moving at the end of summer and don’t feel like moving corals as it’s just an added level of complexity, I’ll run the stock light once I have fish in and maybe some Super easy cheap corals.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nothing really new, been dosing Stability every day since I have no live rock in the tank. I’ve noticed that I’ve barely gotten the tiniest little ammonia spike and I’m adding a little bit of food every other day. I am not worried though it’s only been 4 days since waters been in.

My next challenge is finding a light and a mesh top for the tank. Who knew that the mesh tops that are available would cost as much as what I paid for the tank used lol. I paid $90 CAD for the tank used. A family had been using it for a betta fish for a few months and sold it to me because it was too much flow for the betta so I got a steal. Looking at some of the mesh tops and they come out to more than what I paid for the tank.

I’m pretty dead set however on getting an AI Prime light. I considered the kessil A80 tuna because I have the FW version over my planted Fluval edge. But I think it just won’t be enough for what I eventually want to do with the tank and I’d rather future proof than need to keep buying upgrades and sell my old equipment for a loss.
Additionally, I am a huge fan of travelling so the more equipment I can buy that I can program and have it be automated the more piece of mind I’ll have if I am on vacation etc. Plus I’ll have a ton of time to test the equipments features and reliability before I’m travelling since that’s not really going to happen any time soon: thus me having more trust that the products will actually work the way I program them.

I’ll leave you all with this, if you compare to what I already have posted everything looks pretty much exactly the same minus a temperature probe I have just dangling in there.

Cheers!
I love my AI primes. You can look into my build thread for an alternative to a mesh lid. I chose to do 1/8 thick glass "double thick" tempered glass lids. They work great. They are also pretty cheap to have custom made at your local glass shop. You can buy the clips to hold the lid on from Amazon. I would just have the lid over the main tank and leave the back area uncovered.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Sicce voyager nano 1000 to the tank today, the amount of stuff it kicked up shows how much I needed it.
FDCEF096-45E5-4370-BDCD-C1714FD05497.jpeg
A lot of people choose to upgrade the return pump so you save space for corals in the main display area. If you ever plan on having an anemone don't forget to purchase a anemone guard for the powerhead.

fragglerocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers!

you really only need a top if you have skittish fish like wrasses or firefish...

i wouldn’t worry too much about that,
you can always make your own or get a piece of acrylic cut instead of paying the ridiculously exorbitant prices some vendors charge

OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new updates besides still not seeing much of a cycle. I’m using Fluval test kits and I’ve heard mixed reviews but even if they’re not the most accurate it’s still weird that I’m seeing basically nothing in terms of cycle. I’ve basically seen maybe the tiniest touch of ammonia but that seems weird after over a week and a half but I’m gonna play it by ear and if by Friday I still see no difference I’m just going to assume it’s the test kit and some type of cycle has happened and I’ll switch test kits and then eventually add fish. I’ve also been dosing stability every day since it’s been wetX and I’m adding fish food every few days so there’s something in there to feed on

OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided with a 2 gallon bowl I have I want to make a neat reefbowl that's super low maintenance. Of course I'm not there yet not even fish in the evo yet

OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I added two small clownfish today. I went to a tiny fish store today because the two big chain stores in my area were so lined up. I got two “Regular” ocellaris and found them mixed among hundreds of designer clowns. Probably over paid slightly but they are a tiny shop and been around since 2007. I must say the one has a weird white bar deformity on its face that makes its stripes not super uniform so I think it’s unique. Super friendly staff and all their clowns are from premium aquatics in Florida so I'm not mad about it. They took me and showed me their quarantine systems too cuz I was one of two other customers and it was near close. They had a coral tank but no prices so I have a feeling I should be able to get some weird corals for really cheap.
DFC502FA-E6C0-4C33-9FFC-0F959F6078BB.jpeg
3DE5719C-6D7C-45C3-8175-B9213CC9909E.jpeg
ABC96B61-A847-4719-B3E1-950DCBB03985.jpeg
8ECE2704-7326-4073-8526-39D9337DB763.jpeg
3B03B439-4915-4859-B720-F52AF2D523AE.jpeg
2E8D1D12-D9F4-4096-9A99-3DA4DA440822.jpeg
13674B75-1C7C-4E44-8761-BF4B491ACFBB.jpeg

OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update things haven’t really changed much. Tanks doing well I had an ugly phase but it lasted maybe two days as I had clean up crew in there already and they took care of things. This I assume was brought on because I added a gobstopper Zoa and green ricordia so lights were on daily. Additionally added a fire fish four days ago and the clowns seemed to not even care about him... but this morning I woke up to the fire fish dead on the sand bed no indication of why.

Clowns seem fine but I’m gonna pay extra close attention in case the fire fish brought in disease. Bought a purple Rhodactis shroom as well at the same time as the fire fish. I’m really bummed about the fire fish honestly... it’s probably the fish I have wanted most, more than clowns.
2A9B4864-15BC-42C5-A9A9-496B65ED6BDC.jpeg
D6901B38-300E-4289-9A52-16D5CABEE0EB.jpeg
B9575647-B739-48E0-A2A0-B9C66459BEE5.jpeg
1B683012-8723-4FCB-9F41-0D67A6ED9609.jpeg

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think you need more rockwork for better filtration in the future if you want more than two fish.

OP
OP
C

camerb98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think you need more rockwork for better filtration in the future if you want more than two fish.
It’s ten pounds exactly in there and all my parameters are good. I supplement bacteria too several times a week. I understand where you’re coming from though, but I like the more minimal style Scape. I may add a larger piece where the smaller low section is in the future specifically for a euphylia island. Also I have other tanks That aren’t reefs and I’m very strict on maintenance, tomorrow’s water change day! ☺️

Back