Can’t find a new tank

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to upgrade my 46 gallon bowfront rimless to a new bigger tank a couple weeks ago after see a used for 300 bucks on Facebook….

now the sale fell through and I just don’t know what to do. Local stores are telling me they can’t order tanks right, and a normal 48x18x20 rimless reef ready tank would be 600 bucks. That’s at the top end of my budget. Orders can take many months or a year.

Glasscages is 5-8 weeks and like $1200 for that tank. Just too much $ for me right now.

I have been looking on Craigslist and here and FB and nothing that fits the bill.

i priced out the glass for a few local places and they want about 650 just for the glass. Should I just do that and hope I can not screw up building the tank myself?

at this point I just don’t know what else to do. Any ideas?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to upgrade my 46 gallon bowfront rimless to a new bigger tank a couple weeks ago after see a used for 300 bucks on Facebook….

now the sale fell through and I just don’t know what to do. Local stores are telling me they can’t order tanks right, and a normal 48x18x20 rimless reef ready tank would be 600 bucks. That’s at the top end of my budget. Orders can take many months or a year.

Glasscages is 5-8 weeks and like $1200 for that tank. Just too much $ for me right now.

I have been looking on Craigslist and here and FB and nothing that fits the bill.

i priced out the glass for a few local places and they want about 650 just for the glass. Should I just do that and hope I can not screw up building the tank myself?

How about a Marineland 75 gallon? most pet stores have them.

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my LFS is having a hard time getting tanks too (I got my 125 gal Aqueon from him). Everything in the supply chain is backed up. I would keep looking on CL, FB, maybe even ebay if you can find something local.

I know I am not DIY enough to build a tank

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, rimless is higher priced always
Yea. The only ones I can find for sale are Red Sea and water box, but they only sell as complete sets, I have all equipment already. Just need the tank.

already bought the wood to build the stand.

got my dry and rock and sand standing by.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. The only ones I can find for sale are Red Sea and water box, but they only sell as complete sets, I have all equipment already. Just need the tank.

already bought the wood to build the stand.

got my dry and rock and sand standing by.

Patience - you will find the right aquarium at the right price!

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I get in this mode I end up buying something either compromising on the price (going new) or what i want exactly. As soon as I buy something else, BAM exactly what I wanted pops up. Learn from me, wait it out!

Get yourself a large HD storage bin for 20-30 bucks and pre cycle that rock while you wait. The longer you get stuck waiting, the more new reef syndrome you'll avoid with nicely aged rock. If it goes long enough, you'll scape and be ready for coral/fish.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Kijiji? I have always had great luck using that site although I use the Canadian site/app. I use it for everything.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you looked in different areas for Facebook? How far you willing to go? I saw a 220 with stand and sump only for $400 it was an 8 ft acrylic tank. Look for markets where people are moving away to other states normally they want to sell fast and get out. Arizona is one of those rn. I see a 100 gallon+ tanks set up for $400-$900 all the time in Phoenix/Mesa arizona. About every 2 weeks there is something new that pops up.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like Peterc99 said, keep looking if you want to score a deal. It took me a month to find my used 120. In this hobby, you never know when the deal for you will arise, but if your patient it will eventually.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me they will come up on Facebook market place. I’m in Texas not sure where you are but several have popped up. This one is a huge steal. Would definitely need some cleaning up

Attachments

• 9D07704F-5536-4C33-8B10-96CD9E961CF9.png
    9D07704F-5536-4C33-8B10-96CD9E961CF9.png
    662.8 KB · Views: 27
Back