Can’t get rid of cyano

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an issue with what I think is cyano. I have researched and took the advice from them but I still can’t get rid of it.
I have lowered my white intensity on my lights, increased flow and got all of my chemicals in check but it just won’t go away.
Please help.
2 year old tank
125 gallon tank
UV sterilizer
Skimmer
Radion gen 2 lights
Carbon reactor
Chemicals:
Alk 8.8
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.13
Nitrate 2.37 was lower with the same outcome
Phosphate 0.028 was lower with the same outcome

7155CF2F-E826-44BA-B81B-50CC57DBA7D3.jpeg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an issue with what I think is cyano. I have researched and took the advice from them but I still can’t get rid of it.
I have lowered my white intensity on my lights, increased flow and got all of my chemicals in check but it just won’t go away.
Please help.
2 year old tank
125 gallon tank
UV sterilizer
Skimmer
Radion gen 2 lights
Carbon reactor
Chemicals:
Alk 8.8
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.13

I have heard of many swearing by the 3 day blackout method, to free up nutrients ....I used Chemiclean a year or two ago, it got rid of it but wish I tried the blackout first truthfully.....

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help.
2 year old tank
125 gallon tank
UV sterilizer
Skimmer
Radion gen 2 lights
Carbon reactor
Chemicals:
Alk 8.8
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.13

Also, little trick I heard from a well known poster on here a while back ( wish I could credit them but forgot who it was), to assist if it's Cyano or Dino, if you in some doubt. Take a sample, put in a bit of RODI, freeze overnight. Defrost in a clean glass, play with it a little, if brown it's Dino, if Pinkish Cyano....worked for me. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Freemason1970

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the flow on the feed pump to UV? Also what do you feed and how often
I can’t remember what I set the flow at with the UV. Typically I feed frozen brine shrimp about half a cube. I have 8 fish in the tank. I usually feed a little at a time giving them time to eat what is given.

OP
OP
Freemason1970

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of many swearing by the 3 day blackout method, to free up nutrients ....I used Chemiclean a year or two ago, it got rid of it but wish I tried the blackout first truthfully.....
I tried chemiclean about a year ago and thought I was going to wipe out the tank. It went away but came back a few months later. I have done the 3 day blackout but may have to if I can’t find the smoking gun.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried chemiclean about a year ago and thought I was going to wipe out the tank. It went away but came back a few months later. I have done the 3 day blackout but may have to if I can’t find the smoking gun.
Ok, so we have a cycle of on and off, If Cyano I would bump flow considerably ( it hates it) , and dump the lights a bit which it loves. I would say feed more but if Dino this is gonna mess with things IMO....Try that test I mentioned. It couldn't hurt.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remember what I set the flow at with the UV. Typically I feed frozen brine shrimp about half a cube. I have 8 fish in the tank. I usually feed a little at a time giving them time to eat what is given.
Sounds like you’re not leaving much excess nutrients which is usually why cyano doesn’t end up going away. Try to find out your pump flow and also do you have a high flow tank? Any corals?

OP
OP
Freemason1970

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so we have a cycle of on and off, If Cyano I would bump flow considerably ( it hates it) , and dump the lights a bit which it loves. I would say feed more but if Dino this is gonna mess with things IMO....Try that test I mentioned. It couldn't hurt.
Will do. I don’t think it can be a flow issue since it is growing the strongest where the flow pushes my sand around.

OP
OP
Freemason1970

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re not leaving much excess nutrients which is usually why cyano doesn’t end up going away. Try to find out your pump flow and also do you have a high flow tank? Any corals?
The cyano is growing where the flow pushes my sand around. I thought that the UV wouldn’t help kill this since it is not in the water and more in the sand?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano is growing where the flow pushes my sand around. I thought that the UV wouldn’t help kill this since it is not in the water and more in the sand?
UV IMO will definitely help keep it at bay a bit. When my lamp burnt and didn't notice it right away, is when I had my outbreak....it was a big one lol.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can keep it contained, battled dynos and cyano and constant water changes and getting really stingy with the way I fed helped a lot. If you don’t have any corals just go lightless and it’ll definitely do it. I couldn’t cause I already had some softies and nems

OP
OP
Freemason1970

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can keep it contained, battled dynos and cyano and constant water changes and getting really stingy with the way I fed helped a lot. If you don’t have any corals just go lightless and it’ll definitely do it. I couldn’t cause I already had some softies and nems
I do have corals. Softies, nem, lps and one SPS

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back