Can’t get rid of cyano

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with Cyano for a couple weeks now. Water parameters from this morning below. First thing I tried was Microbacter clean, been dosing it every day. Next I installed a UV sterilizer, after noticing it disappears when the light turns off every night, and reappears every day, mostly on the rocks. I have been manually removing it with a toothbrush but it just seems to come back. I added some Asteria snails as well. I’ve been using RODI water for topping off. Really need some ideas. Lots of corals in the tank, including SPS and LPS that have been unaffected thus far by the Cyano. Any help is appreciated.

Water parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrates: 6.4
Phos: 0.07
Calcium: 417
Mag: 1455
Alk: 9.3
PH: 8.3

58226FDA-7CFC-4792-9226-9F5D1680B619.jpeg 37E1F82F-9C77-49D3-B854-DBEC78BE1D3D.jpeg
My brotha... boy do i feel your pain. I have dealt with cyano over the past year.... yes a whole ****ing year. Thankfully i have gotten past it. Many talk about using chemicals to rid it from the tank, they do work...however its always lead to other issues imo. This is what ive learned about cyano and dino.....but can be applied to many of the pest which may land in our slice of the ocean. When many say its based on zero nutrients... or nutrients out of whack.... this is wrong (Plenty examples of people running low or zero levels of phos and nitrate... yet dont have these issues).

We introduce these pest in our aquarium.... indirectly. Conditions allow the pest to thrive to levels that are undesirable (ie: low nutrients or out of whack conditions often repeated as culprits to these issues). What allowed me to beat cyano....were pods. Interestly enough, Ryan from BRS recently talked about this, its a good watch and i would recommend it. Many aquarist report success dosing phyto, which help with coral growth, color and it supposed to out compete the nuisance algae and/or cyano. What i believe is happening, we are growing a diverse population of microfauna.

These animals are consuming these problems when their populations are large enough to do so. This is why phytoplankton dosing takes a while to work... it's not the phyto thats solving our problems, but the life its supporting that does. I also believe its the growing pod population that causes the corals to color up as well. They are feeding on the microscopic offspring of the pods, which is why phyto fed tanks tend to have better colors and pe. Last point, another reason why "established" aquariums rarely run into the issues that often plague newer tanks even when conditions are nowhere near ideal (crazy high or low phos and/or nitrate, which would cause issues in newer tanks), they have a mostly robust microfauna population.

Just my theory, but the evidence is more than anecdotal.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use red slime remover. Works great, never had an effect on anything. Once it's gone try and figure out what's out of balance.

OP
OP
teethdoctor23

teethdoctor23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brotha... boy do i feel your pain. I have dealt with cyano over the past year.... yes a whole ****ing year. Thankfully i have gotten past it. Many talk about using chemicals to rid it from the tank, they do work...however its always lead to other issues imo. This is what ive learned about cyano and dino.....but can be applied to many of the pest which may land in our slice of the ocean. When many say its based on zero nutrients... or nutrients out of whack.... this is wrong (Plenty examples of people running low or zero levels of phos and nitrate... yet dont have these issues).

We introduce these pest in our aquarium.... indirectly. Conditions allow the pest to thrive to levels that are undesirable (ie: low nutrients or out of whack conditions often repeated as culprits to these issues). What allowed me to beat cyano....were pods. Interestly enough, Ryan from BRS recently talked about this, its a good watch and i would recommend it. Many aquarist report success dosing phyto, which help with coral growth, color and it supposed to out compete the nuisance algae and/or cyano. What i believe is happening, we are growing a diverse population of microfauna.

These animals are consuming these problems when their populations are large enough to do so. This is why phytoplankton dosing takes a while to work... it's not the phyto thats solving our problems, but the life its supporting that does. I also believe its the growing pod population that causes the corals to color up as well. They are feeding on the microscopic offspring of the pods, which is why phyto fed tanks tend to have better colors and pe. Last point, another reason why "established" aquariums rarely run into the issues that often plague newer tanks even when conditions are nowhere near ideal (crazy high or low phos and/or nitrate, which would cause issues in newer tanks), they have a mostly robust microfauna population.

Just my theory, but the evidence is more than anecdotal.
Man, I love this post. It truly is something that is overlooked. Something I’ve been trying to do is create a diverse, healthy population of residents that contribute to the overall ecosystem in my aquarium. I would love some information regarding recommendations for pods and phyto. Money isn’t an issue, I just want quality products. I’m a weirdo when it comes to hobbies and quite obsessive. I’ll do whatever it takes to beat Cyano and create a healthy tank without gimmicks or chemical treatments. So any products you can recommend would be awesome

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I love this post. It truly is something that is overlooked. Something I’ve been trying to do is create a diverse, healthy population of residents that contribute to the overall ecosystem in my aquarium. I would love some information regarding recommendations for pods and phyto. Money isn’t an issue, I just want quality products. I’m a weirdo when it comes to hobbies and quite obsessive. I’ll do whatever it takes to beat Cyano and create a healthy tank without gimmicks or chemical treatments. So any products you can recommend would be awesome
Thanks bro! I started growing my own fresh phyto. Algae barn is a good place to start, however there are more than a few places you can buy phyto an pods.

Youtube Video

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back