Can’t grow Cheato... best alternatives?

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i’m giving up on cheato. I’ve tried a couple different lights, and had some success after dosing trace elements (cheatogro, and red sea colors), but it just starts disintegrating again. No3=10 Po4=.5, so nutrients are available. What are the best alternatives? I have some ulva lactata, but don’t like that it has spread to my display. Tangs don’t complain though, and keep it in check.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i’m giving up on cheato. I’ve tried a couple different lights, and had some success after dosing trace elements (cheatogro, and red sea colors), but it just starts disintegrating again. No3=10 Po4=.5, so nutrients are available. What are the best alternatives? I have some ulva lactata, but don’t like that it has spread to my display. Tangs don’t complain though, and keep it in check.
Whats the spectrum of the lights you used?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For nutrient export I suspect they are all the same. I never understood why you don't just use hair algae in the refugium. I recently changed my fuge light interval to 6 hours and stopped my skimmer for 3 hours a night trying to up my nutrients. Hair algae disappeared from refugium and chaeto really took off. I have no idea why. You can try that and see if what is left of your chaeto takes off.

OP
OP
jhOU

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running red spectrum grow leds, 12 hour duration. I can definitely try a shorter photo period.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen chaeto disintegrate in response to adding fresh GAC to the system.
There are clearly elements that it requires other than reasonable nitrate and phosphate levels.
Light doesn't seem to be the big issue; people grow chaeto well under all manner of growlight fixtures.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just run without it? I used a lighted refugium for about 15 years, the last 5 or 10 years with chaeto. I removed my fuge when I had trouble with dinos in my new tank. It’s been going on 2 years without a fuge and everything is going well. Just throwing this out.

OP
OP
jhOU

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen chaeto disintegrate in response to adding fresh GAC to the system.
There are clearly elements that it requires other than reasonable nitrate and phosphate levels.
Light doesn't seem to be the big issue; people grow chaeto well under all manner of growlight fixtures.
^^^THIS might have been my problem! I don’t run GAC very often, and my cheato had been growing great for about 2 months after dosing trace elements. I ran some rox.8 for 3 days just because it had been a while, and it was then that the cheato started disintegrating again. Interesting

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^THIS might have been my problem! I don’t run GAC very often, and my cheato had been growing great for about 2 months after dosing trace elements. I ran some rox.8 for 3 days just because it had been a while, and it was then that the cheato started disintegrating again. Interesting

Yup, it happens like clockwork. I now add much less GAC at a time. (Actually CPB, but it's mostly GAC.)

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet GAC is my issue with cheato too. I run it pretty aggressively. Give that is removes organic particles that yellow the water, I bet the cheato needs the nutrients in that form. I'd be interested to see if it can clear up yellowish water similar to GAC.

My caulerpas do great though. I have prolifera, mexicana, racemosa, peltata, and sertulariodes. I also have gracilaria hayi which is a red macro that really pops against the green. The mix of different foliage shapes makes the DT really interesting. I often forget I want more corals.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my light to a h380 and I pull a gallon out of the fuge every week. I also dose a little iron once a week. The cheto is dark green. Run the light about 14 hours. Copods doing ok. The light has the perfect spectrum and is 90 watts.

sq5Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some cheap led from ebay that’s got just blue and white. My cheato grows like madness. Then again my water is very dirty. I change water once a month at the most.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the Kessil H160. I had the H380 but had to sell it, waaaay to much power and it was cooking my chaeto. I think the H160 is the sweet spot, and the fact that it is adjustable all the better. What impressed me the most is it spreads lights very well from very short heights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back