Can’t seem to get my sump level correct..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense. I am actually not running any gfo so no worries about phosphates but I will keep in mind that yes the carbon is removing the organics from the water.
Thanks!
I know it was combined with the plumbing changes in my first post, but did you understand the concept behind the siphon break for your ATO so you can fill it to the top without issues?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it was combined with the plumbing changes in my first post, but did you understand the concept behind the siphon break for your ATO so you can fill it to the top without issues?
I believe so. I think I am going to try to put the ato line in the right red circle.. it seems to be above the water level of my ato. I’m thinking as long as my hose isn’t pointing downward that I will okay in regards to not having a siphon from gravity. Do you think this will work?

D12B25FC-CC83-4E84-BF25-D1DF271CC4EE.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so. I think I am going to try to put the ato line in the right red circle.. it seems to be above the water level of my ato. I’m thinking as long as my hose isn’t pointing downward that I will okay in regards to not having a siphon from gravity. Do you think this will work?

I didn't realize that was your ATO! I thought it was higher than your sump. Yup, that should work, it will just splash when it fills.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize that was your ATO! I thought it was higher than your sump. Yup, that should work, it will just splash when it fills.
When you say splash when it fills are you meaning that like the water will splash in my return area because it’ll be close to output of the ato? Honestly didn’t realize that my ato was 1/2 lower than my stand but then again I did prob my sump up a little bit!

honestly I don’t plan on using my ato for like a week or something because it’s kinda a hassle to fill my ato reservoir.
Get ato
Find a pump / hose
Pump water into ato container

Vs

see water level is low and just dump in the water rather than do an additional two steps.

anyways I am going to purchase a little 5 gallon plastic container with a spout that I’ll be able to pour the water right into the ato with.

maybe I’ll put the return of the ato right on the baffle that’s separates my return from my skimmer section.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say splash when it fills are you meaning that like the water will splash in my return area because it’ll be close to output of the ato? Honestly didn’t realize that my ato was 1/2 lower than my stand but then again I did prob my sump up a little bit!
In order to prevent a siphon, the discharge of the hose will need to be above the water level in the ATO container. That is a few inches above the water level in your sump so the distance the water falls will cause the splash.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to prevent a siphon, the discharge of the hose will need to be above the water level in the ATO container. That is a few inches above the water level in your sump so the distance the water falls will cause the splash.
Forgive me if I am wrong.. but say if I put the ato out put facing downward it would also create a siphon? I guess that’s my biggest concern. Not putting it under the water level but in a downward angle.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I am wrong.. but say if I put the ato out put facing downward it would also create a siphon? I guess that’s my biggest concern. Not putting it under the water level but in a downward angle.
It doesn't matter if it is under water or not. If the discharge of the hose is below the water level of the ATO it will draw a siphon until the water level falls below the opening of the discharge hose.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this too much flow into my sump? This is with my return pump still on level 2 with my carbon reactor off of my manifold as well as a line to my fuge off of my manifold..

9003E90D-F149-4865-99B5-C5BAE44C23A1.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this too much flow into my sump? This is with my return pump still on level 2 with my carbon reactor off of my manifold as well as a line to my fuge off of my manifold..

9003E90D-F149-4865-99B5-C5BAE44C23A1.jpeg
If you can handle the noise and the water level isn't backing up between sections where level should remain the same, the flow is fine. I have what I believe is a newer version of this sump and run quite a bit of flow through it and am about to add more. It's hard to tell from a still picture but I'm guessing I already run more flow through mine than you have there.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can handle the noise and the water level isn't backing up between sections where level should remain the same, the flow is fine. I have what I believe is a newer version of this sump and run quite a bit of flow through it and am about to add more. It's hard to tell from a still picture but I'm guessing I already run more flow through mine than you have there.
I would love to see your sump when you get a chance.
I am only concerned about the amount of flow because it splashes with the lid on. Not a big deal but basically if you can see in my picture, the lid sits not completely flush on the top. So with the splashing results with water on the lid which then ends up to more salt creep.

I think i can live with the noise.. time will tell!

5397010D-53E1-4287-AA49-ADC659C12B67.jpeg
Ps the lid fits a little better, just moved it all to one side to show the spacing!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can point your hose downward if you want... All you have to do is make sure that the end of the hose is above the water level in the ATO container and a siphon cannot happen.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a short video of my flow rate

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an odd issue because I posted it with my iPhone.
Yes I feel that there’s an uploading problem. Can you watch it on your own phone? I found I can’t upload and watch my videos

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I feel that there’s an uploading problem. Can you watch it on your own phone? I found I can’t upload and watch my videos
My understanding is that it is a security issue with the iPhone. I can't watch it on mine, either, regardless of which browser I use.

I added it to my youtube channel so you should be able to see this one.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that it is a security issue with the iPhone. I can't watch it on mine, either, regardless of which browser I use.

I added it to my youtube channel so you should be able to see this one.

Any idea how I can replicate yours and get rid of all the bubbles mine seems to create? Yours seems like nice flowing water while mine is like rushing rapids lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how I can replicate yours and get rid of all the bubbles mine seems to create? Yours seems like nice flowing water while mine is like rushing rapids lol
I've never even seen an HOB overflow in operation so I'm not comfortable trying to give you advice on how to do it. It's easy with the Bean Animal drain that I run.

Hopefully @Water Dog can help with that!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I am back with another question regarding my ato!

everything has been going smoothly and all levels have stayed consistent and I finally trust my ato (for the most part) keeping it filled is now the fun part :p

anyways... so the output of the ato is currently in my return pump section as well as the sensors are. I was wondering if it would be smarter for me to put the output of the ato in the skimmer section as it’s the same water level as the return / I feel when my ato comes on it goes for 10 seconds then stops but is doing this more frequently than I’d like. I could always raise the baffle that separates the skimmer and return section as well. Hopefully a pic can do some justice!

my thinking is since the return and skimmer section have similar water level, the sensor is shutting off as very little water is needed but I’m thinking if the output was in the skimmer section it would add more water overall / would prevent it turning on so frequently.

6839B0C3-F1D8-47B8-A1A0-73B022A4D152.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I am back with another question regarding my ato!

everything has been going smoothly and all levels have stayed consistent and I finally trust my ato (for the most part) keeping it filled is now the fun part :p

anyways... so the output of the ato is currently in my return pump section as well as the sensors are. I was wondering if it would be smarter for me to put the output of the ato in the skimmer section as it’s the same water level as the return / I feel when my ato comes on it goes for 10 seconds then stops but is doing this more frequently than I’d like. I could always raise the baffle that separates the skimmer and return section as well. Hopefully a pic can do some justice!

my thinking is since the return and skimmer section have similar water level, the sensor is shutting off as very little water is needed but I’m thinking if the output was in the skimmer section it would add more water overall / would prevent it turning on so frequently.

6839B0C3-F1D8-47B8-A1A0-73B022A4D152.jpeg
Normally the return section has a lower water level than anywhere else in the sump. I run mine about 1" lower than the skimmer section.
You should adjust the water level in your skimmer section to where it needs to be for your skimmer to operate correctly. Adjust your ATO sensor so that it maintains water level slightly below the level at the skimmer. I run my ATO line to my refugium because it can cause splashing that impacts the ATO sensor. If you think this may be an issue, you can run yours to your skimmer section. It should have minimal impacts on how much water is added though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back