OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see little point in amino acids for macroalgae. There are > 20 amino acids in nature, which are formed by bacteria acting on proteins. 75% of amino acids are derived from animal protein (fish food) while the rest of amino acids are formed from bacteria acting on algae proteins.

@Diveks
you have been told repeatedly that your nitrogen is dangerously low. If your phosphate gets low, you will have a real catastrophe with nuisance algae in your display.

Phytoplankton is a primary food source. If it is live phytoplankton and introduced during light cycle, it will continue growing thereby absorbing nitrogen to further exacerbate your depleted nitrogen as well as phosphate at a ratio of 16:1 which is the Redfield Ratio. Chaetomorphy consumes nitrogen to phosphate in a ratio of 30:1.
Ohh i see. I’ve ordered some nitrogen to dose but it hasn’t arrived yet. No LFS around stocks them. Shipping here has been very slow, next days arrive 4 days later, hoping it will arrive max tomorrow.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh i see. I’ve ordered some nitrogen to dose but it hasn’t arrived yet. No LFS around stocks them. Shipping here has been very slow, next days arrive 4 days later, hoping it will arrive max tomorrow.

Where do you live? Both Home Depot & Lowes have stump remover, Potassium nitrate, in their garden center. I can get Austin. Clear Ammonia same day from Amazon.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live? Both Home Depot & Lowes have stump remover, Potassium nitrate, in their garden center. I can get Austin. Clear Ammonia same day from Amazon.

I’m from indonesia and there are no home depots and lowes here. Think some similar stores here might sell them though, might try that out if i still need to dose after the bottle is gone. I already ordered some Brightwell nionitro and im hoping they arrive soon.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from indonesia and there are no home depots and lowes here. Think some similar stores here might sell them though, might try that out if i still need to dose after the bottle is gone. I already ordered some Brightwell nionitro and im hoping they arrive soon.
Stick with Brightwell. They have good products. I feed live bivalves.to my established tanks.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To further emphasize lack of nitrogen in a macro algae lagoon mixed garden with softies and sponges, this is a picture 24 hours after feather Caulerpa went sexual. This 55G tank was set up 9 months ago as an ornamental seaweed lagoon with diver collected live rock & live sand and a strong emphasis on cryptic sponges and the “sponge loop” which is a culmination of Dutch research scientists.

Yesterday, when lights came on, you could not see the back glass. Today, when lights came on, with water 90% clear, I saw more milky substance coming from stems of Caulerpa Paspoidies. I treated both sexual events the same: yesterday, I added 40ml of Austin Clear Ammonia and today, I added 20 ml of ammonia and 50ml of ChaetoGrow.

ChaetoGrō​

Complete phosphate and nitrate free multi-nutrient with iron, cobalt and molybdenum for chaetomorpha growth and vigor in all marine systems​

Overview​

• For all marine aquariums & ULNS systems
  • Shrimp & Invertebrate safe
  • Phosphate & Nitrate free
  • Provides 13 elements critical to long-term health, growth, and coloration of aquatic plants
  • Well-suited to ULNS aquariums and designed for nutrient control of phosphates and nitrates by chaetomorpha uptake
  • Formulated utilizing extensive research on aquatic algae nutrient requirements

Sizes​

250ml | 500ml

Technical Background​

Nutrients are substances required by algae for survival; they are collectively involved in all aspects of the biological and chemical reactions that allow algae to function properly. Brightwell Aquatics ChaetoGro provides these substances in concentrations found by researchers to be necessary for long-term health. These elements, and some of the processes that they are involved in, are:

Potassium - Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation.
Boron - Chlorophyll production, flowering, root growth, cell function.
Carbon - Required for all organic compounds.
Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enzyme activation, cell response to stimuli.
Chlorine - Water and charge balance, photosynthesis.
Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions.
Magnesium - Component of chlorophyll, enzyme activation.
Manganese - Formation of amino acids, enzyme activation.
Molybdenum and Cobalt - Required for nitrate reduction.
Nickel - Enzyme activation, processing of nitrogenous material.
Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth.
Zinc - Chlorophyll production, enzyme activation.

ChaetoGro does not contain phosphorus or nitrogen

PS. In summary, this macro algae sexual event occurred when fast growing macroalgae consumed nutrients in tank faster than I was feeding. As light intensity never changed, large sections self destructed as a survival technique spreading spores. As the slower growing red macros of dragon breath & red grapes did not se”f destruct, I feed the tank nitrogen & trace minerals so that all photosynthetic algae could absorb large influx of seaweed exudates from sexual event.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To further emphasize lack of nitrogen in a macro algae lagoon mixed garden with softies and sponges, this is a picture 24 hours after feather Caulerpa went sexual. This 55G tank was set up 9 months ago as an ornamental seaweed lagoon with diver collected live rock & live sand and a strong emphasis on cryptic sponges and the “sponge loop” which is a culmination of Dutch research scientists.

Yesterday, when lights came on, you could not see the back glass. Today, when lights came on, with water 90% clear, I saw more milky substance coming from stems of Caulerpa Paspoidies. I treated both sexual events the same: yesterday, I added 40ml of Austin Clear Ammonia and today, I added 20 ml of ammonia and 50ml of ChaetoGrow.

ChaetoGrō​

Complete phosphate and nitrate free multi-nutrient with iron, cobalt and molybdenum for chaetomorpha growth and vigor in all marine systems​

Overview​

• For all marine aquariums & ULNS systems
  • Shrimp & Invertebrate safe
  • Phosphate & Nitrate free
  • Provides 13 elements critical to long-term health, growth, and coloration of aquatic plants
  • Well-suited to ULNS aquariums and designed for nutrient control of phosphates and nitrates by chaetomorpha uptake
  • Formulated utilizing extensive research on aquatic algae nutrient requirements

Sizes​

250ml | 500ml

Technical Background​

Nutrients are substances required by algae for survival; they are collectively involved in all aspects of the biological and chemical reactions that allow algae to function properly. Brightwell Aquatics ChaetoGro provides these substances in concentrations found by researchers to be necessary for long-term health. These elements, and some of the processes that they are involved in, are:

Potassium - Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation.
Boron - Chlorophyll production, flowering, root growth, cell function.
Carbon - Required for all organic compounds.
Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enzyme activation, cell response to stimuli.
Chlorine - Water and charge balance, photosynthesis.
Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions.
Magnesium - Component of chlorophyll, enzyme activation.
Manganese - Formation of amino acids, enzyme activation.
Molybdenum and Cobalt - Required for nitrate reduction.
Nickel - Enzyme activation, processing of nitrogenous material.
Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth.
Zinc - Chlorophyll production, enzyme activation.

ChaetoGro does not contain phosphorus or nitrogen

PS. In summary, this macro algae sexual event occurred when fast growing macroalgae consumed nutrients in tank faster than I was feeding. As light intensity never changed, large sections self destructed as a survival technique spreading spores. As the slower growing red macros of dragon breath & red grapes did not se”f destruct, I feed the tank nitrogen & trace minerals so that all photosynthetic algae could absorb large influx of seaweed exudates from sexual event.

image.jpg
Thanks! Ill be trying out some more brightwell products. I dosed a bit of the nitrate today but it was water change day so it went down again. I will start dosing again after the water change. Not sure if i should raise it slowly or go straight to 10

By the way, a bit off topic but is that a hippo tang in with the macro? I wanted to add some macros to my 210 tank but im not sure my inhabitants will leave it alone. They don’t seem to be interested in a grape caulerpa infestation i had a while back.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ill be trying out some more brightwell products. I dosed a bit of the nitrate today but it was water change day so it went down again. I will start dosing again after the water change. Not sure if i should raise it slowly or go straight to 10

By the way, a bit off topic but is that a hippo tang in with the macro? I wanted to add some macros to my 210 tank but im not sure my inhabitants will leave it alone. They don’t seem to be interested in a grape caulerpa infestation i had a while back.
It’s your thread, I don’t normally visit coral forums, however, I am happy to discuss things with you.

Yes, I added a small Hippo as the last fish in this tank. One diver collected live rock the size of a grape fruit grew at least three red macro: two types of Dragon’s Breath & Red Grapes. There are a lot of herbivores in this tank with an overabundance of macro which sucks up nutrients. A mature reef tank will do the same thing. I operate low fish load tanks because it prevents stress among the fish. To encourage growth, I feed fish often yet, I add inorganic nutrients.

PS: obviously I should prune fast growing macro before it goes sexual. I normally prune large amounts of fast growing macro from my seaweed lagoon tanks. By adding large amounts at a time, the seaweed is on display for a bit. In the case of 5yr mature 120G, I added 2G and it took of so well, it went sexual in that tank.

1641931995088.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s your thread, I don’t normally visit coral forums, however, I am happy to discuss things with you.

Yes, I added a small Hippo as the last fish in this tank. One diver collected live rock the size of a grape fruit grew at least three red macro: two types of Dragon’s Breath & Red Grapes. There are a lot of herbivores in this tank with an overabundance of macro which sucks up nutrients. A mature reef tank will do the same thing. I operate low fish load tanks because it prevents stress among the fish. To encourage growth, I feed fish often yet, I add inorganic nutrients.

PS: obviously I should prune fast growing macro before it goes sexual. I normally prune large amounts of fast growing macro from my seaweed lagoon tanks. By adding large amounts at a time, the seaweed is on display for a bit. In the case of 5yr mature 120G, I added 2G and it took of so well, it went sexual in that tank.

1641931995088.jpeg

Might just try getting some dragons breath, i also see some red grapes for sale. Tangs don’t seem to bother the longer algae but i do notice the moorish and regal like to eat the larger strands. Hoping my feeding regimen is enough to stop them from making the macro disappear.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back