Can 4 juvie clownfish go in the same tank temporarily?

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

so I have 4 clownfish, 2 in a Fluval Evo 13.5 and 2 in a Fluval flex 57L.

i want to get rid of the Fluval flex and get another Fluval Evo, however I need to get rid of the flex in order to get the Evo otherwise I won’t have enough space.

I was wondering if I can transfer the 2 clowns from the flex into the Evo with the other two clowns temporarily.

2 of my clowns are little babies, probably sold to me just as they were of age to be sold.

the other 2 are a lot bigger but aren’t fully grown. They don’t seem to have paired as they don’t really spend too much time together.

will this be okay for a few weeks?

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re all tank bred + raised so I can’t see it being an issue as when I bought them they were in with different clowns

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hit or miss. I had 3 clowns in a 65g tank that got along great after two came from a smaller tank. Then I upgraded to a much larger tank and one of the larger ones was bullied into the corner so bad I removed him and put him in another small tank.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hit or miss. I had 3 clowns in a 65g tank that got along great after two came from a smaller tank. Then I upgraded to a much larger tank and one of the larger ones was bullied into the corner so bad I removed him and put him in another small tank.
The little ones are getting chased around a lot, should I remove them?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are much smaller you probably should, IME, clowns will kill unless they are establishing gender. It's possible the two small ones could male while the others female, but if one of the original pair is smaller and sticks with the other one, chances are they have already established gender and the female would likely kill the newcomers.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you thinking they’re getting beat up yes.

I had all my fish in a plastic stock tank with a heater, powerhead and the live rock from the tank they came from for about two weeks with no issues

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve took them out as I think the bigger two have paired and both were bullying the little ones, hopefully I haven’t caused them too much stress

Back