Can a coral frag be moved to a rock?

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I purchase multiple acan frags, can I cut the coral off the plug and glue them to a rock? Or is it best to cut the plug and glue the plug to the rock? I do not have fragging experience. The eventual goal is to make an acan island. I just wanted to jump start it my purchasing multiple frags.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely you can. Many of us remove all corals from the plugs. I do it because I don't like the look of the plugs.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the glue off the plug personally as it's easy. Lol I'm sure there are other ways.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously acans have a dense skeleton so all you need to do is gently pry the skeleton from the frag plug. You can do this with a razor or small pliers. You really want to just avoid crushing the skeleton. If you weaken the skeleton underneath the coral, it cause cause the flesh of the acan to recede. Essentially, just be gentle, take your time, and look before you cut.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I purchase multiple acan frags, can I cut the coral off the plug and glue them to a rock? Or is it best to cut the plug and glue the plug to the rock?

I've done both. If a particular frag is heavily grown over part of the frag plug, I might cut away the plug stem, as well as any still-bare areas, so that the plug is less symmetric, before gluing it to rockwork. However I prefer to remove the frag from the plug entirely when it's possible to do so without too much coral damage or loss. I've found that, using this tool, a bit of pressure on the glue line will often cause the frag to just pop off the plug cleanly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back