Can a Feather Duster Worm move its Entire Tube

VVolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought and introduced a feather duster worm on Friday, 10/1. I anchored it lightly in the sand. It stayed put overnight. On 10/3, the tube was fully exposed on the top of the sand bed but it was still in the same spot but angled slightly differently. This evening, 10/4, it has moved slightly to the side of the live rock about 4 inches at as if it has turned and slid. This is moving in to between rocks where the line of flow is on that side of the tank.

I’ve heard they exit their tubes and rebuild if they want to relocate but somehow this one seems to be creeping across the tank. Should I suspect the fish are moving it?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they can shift to a different location if they’re not entirely happy, more often than not they’re inadvertently moved around by the cleanup crew.

Long tentacle anemones will definitely find a better spot - even if it means climbing over rocks.

OP
OP
VVolfe

VVolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they can shift to a different location if they’re not entirely happy, more often than not they’re inadvertently moved around by the cleanup crew.

Long tentacle anemones will definitely find a better spot - even if it means climbing over rocks.
Thanks! I didn’t even think about the cleanup crew. Sneaky snails!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I didn’t even think about the cleanup crew. Sneaky snails!
My spider conch plowed my purple feather duster over the other day trying to scale an adjacent rock. After I removed the conch I noticed that the feather had relocated about an inch back and burrowed another 0.5-1” into the substrate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back