Can a mandarin dragonet survive off of a pair of breeding cleaner shrimp

shoshowhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a mandarin dragonet survive off of a pair of breeding cleaner shrimp continuously spawning? They spawn back and forth so it’s close to once a week between the both of them.

I already have a mandarin who is doing well in my tank. My cleaners just started reproducing and it got me wondering if mandarin’s eat cleaner larvae? And if they do, would the pair produce enough to sustain a mandarin.

Just curious about this cause I have not been able to find any info on it.

Thanks!

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a mandarin dragonet survive off of a pair of breeding cleaner shrimp continuously spawning? They spawn back and forth so it’s close to once a week between the both of them.

I already have a mandarin who is doing well in my tank. My cleaners just started reproducing and it got me wondering if mandarin’s eat cleaner larvae? And if they do, would the pair produce enough to sustain a mandarin.

Just curious about this cause I have not been able to find any info on it.

Thanks!
No they would not - you need to seed the tank monthly with pods and get a Biota so they will easily adapt to frozen and pellet offerings. IMO dont even consider a mandarin unless you do this

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they would not - you need to seed the tank monthly with pods and get a Biota so they will easily adapt to frozen and pellet offerings. IMO dont even consider a mandarin unless you do this
Honestly, CB mandarins aren’t all much better. I have found almost all mandarins eventually return back to feeding strictly on pods/Microfauna.
The breeding shrimp could almost definitely provide a more varied diet for the mandarin however I do agree that the OP should dose with pods. I wouldn’t say a monthly dosing of pods is enough, I personally do it weekly as I have a pod only eater (Discordipinna griessingeri) and I find this is much less risky.

Weekly dosing of pods will also reduce the chance of the mandarins suffering if there was ever a chance of pods going out of stock.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, CB mandarins aren’t all much better. I have found almost all mandarins eventually return back to feeding strictly on pods/Microfauna.
The breeding shrimp could almost definitely provide a more varied diet for the mandarin however I do agree that the OP should dose with pods. I wouldn’t say a monthly dosing of pods is enough, I personally do it weekly as I have a pod only eater (Discordipinna griessingeri) and I find this is much less risky.

Weekly dosing of pods will also reduce the chance of the mandarins suffering if there was ever a chance of pods going out of stock.
How big is your tank? I got my mandarin(wild caught) in a 100 gal with 50 kg of live rock, after 2 days of not cleaning the glass i can see pods all over it. I never dose pods, only feed 3 times a week baby brine and the mandarin loves to snack on them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I got my mandarin(wild caught) in a 100 gal with 50 kg of live rock, after 2 days of not cleaning the glass i can see pods all over it. I never dose pods, only feed 3 times a week baby brine and the mandarin loves to snack on them.
My tank with the D. griessingeri is a RS Max Nano, and I have pods all over the tank. There is also a juvenile leopard wrasse temporarily in there.
In my 4’x2’x2’ however, there is almost no signs of copepods other than amphipods scavenging every night. This tank has a Halichoeres iridis, Halichoeres chloropterus and Chelmon rostratum in it as the main microfauna eaters.

I still dose weekly in both tanks as I have had to deal with a pod shortage in my area for several months during the winter.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back