Can a mature female clown turn back male?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a three year old female clown that has laid eggs several times. The male she was paired with died (power head accident) She has been female for at least the past two years. There is a local reefer that is trying to rehome a 3 year old black/white female clown. Can I add their female with my female? Will one of the females turn back male? System = 80 gal display, plenty of rock and hiding places. Four BTA to host. Will this work? Both are similar size and Ocellarus Clowns.

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Answer = No,

All anemonefish, including clownfish, are hermaphrodites. They are all born male, according to National Geographic. They have the ability to turn themselves female, but once the change is made, they can't go back to being male. Sometimes the change is made when mating. Jul 13, 2016

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answer = No,

All anemonefish, including clownfish, are hermaphrodites. They are all born male, according to National Geographic. They have the ability to turn themselves female, but once the change is made, they can't go back to being male. Sometimes the change is made when mating. Jul 13, 2016
Similar to this but I was lead to believe they are born neither male or female .
as they mature they form male or female .
typically the larger , ore dominant one is female

once she dies or is taken away the next dominant male changes to female .

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it they're all born male, but not dominant breeding males there is only one breeding male. When the female dies the dominant male changes to female and one of the juvenile males become the dominant male.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with just one clownfish in the tank. When I finally added another one I picked the smallest one I could find to make sure it was a juvenile male.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a good question …
If in the lfs and notice they have a smaller clownfish in a tank alone . Is it still too immature to be male or female .
is it automatically female and will fight till death with anything it’s added with ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back