Can a nem eat a hermit crab?

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys yesterday I managed to get an anemone in with a bunch of frags from someone on facebook it was a bargain so figured I would give it ago.
Now it has only been in my tank about 24 hours and 1 has become 2. I am guessing this is probably because of the stress from moving? was about an hour drive and then by the time aclimated etc it was about 2 hours from his tank to mine.
I have checked my water parameters and everything looks good nothing worrying going on other than the fact I now have 2 nems on the move in my tank.
5 mins ago though I just had to save a hermit crab that the nem grabbed and I am sure it tried to eat it. it had hold of it by the shell and I intervened.
Is it possible that a nem could eat a hermit crab? poor little bugger came and waved thanks to me after!
IMG_20210226_001217_377.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can. And snails. But they do not “grab” them. Hermits are clumsy and sometime walk up and get stuck.

Funny you ask this though, as here is my haddoni today with a snail that fell in. Poor sexy shrimp was like “get away from my nem”.

There will be an empty shell tomorrow or the next day lol.
4874E560-15AE-4279-ADC0-F2A8A4881288.jpeg

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he was before the accident I literally saw the nem reaching then I was like "is he getting pulled in?" Then I saw the nem retract back with it stuck to it.
received_871217520368101.jpeg
I guess as the nem was on the move anyways it was coincidence that he got stuck but dang it was exciting.

We only noticed it because my other half had spotted the nem had split whilst lights were off and this was when we turned on the light and I took the photo because it had split. Then the hermit situation happened lol

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he was before the accident I literally saw the nem reaching then I was like "is he getting pulled in?" Then I saw the nem retract back with it stuck to it.
received_871217520368101.jpeg
I guess as the nem was on the move anyways it was coincidence that he got stuck but dang it was exciting.

We only noticed it because my other half had spotted the nem had split whilst lights were off and this was when we turned on the light and I took the photo because it had split. Then the hermit situation happened lol

Tank looks great I love the natural look of algae!

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks thats exactly what I'm going for. I am trying and succeeding very well at covering everything in this nice red macro algae in the tank and want to have corals growing with the red everywhere else. I am battling the green hard grass like ones in 2 of my rocks but I am currently cycling a whole new scape for this tank so once thats ready I will be able to be rid of it for good!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks thats exactly what I'm going for. I am trying and succeeding very well at covering everything in this nice red macro algae in the tank and want to have corals growing with the red everywhere else. I am battling the green hard grass like ones in 2 of my rocks but I am currently cycling a whole new scape for this tank so once thats ready I will be able to be rid of it for good!
It looks like you've got bryopsis in there which will spread quite a bit. It is actually kind of pretty but it can turn into a nuisance really quickly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back